Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me introduce myself.

I am a long time sport car owner that is looking to get into motorcycles for the first time. I'm 32 and to be honest with you guys...I don't have the time to really devote myself to a 2-wheel bike in terms of advanced riding. I consider myself to be an accomplished amateur car driver having spent more time that I'd like to admit behind the wheel of performance vehicles but I know zippo about bikes. It took me years of working my way up the performance "food chain" to get to a point where I felt comfortable with a high horsepower vehicle...I'm taking the same approach with a bike.

I got "the bug" to go to a motorcycle about 6 months ago. I signed up for a training course that is available here in Illinois and I'll be taking it this fall. I'm looking for a fun experience on a bike...something I have never felt.

The problem is that I simply do not have the time I used to have. Having a demanding job, a part time teaching position and wife and a 2 year old...I'm not the 20 year old that I once was in more ways that one. I won't have time to constantly go on rides and devote myself to learning a 2-wheel bike the way I did with cars.

I had nearly given up the 2-wheel thought until the Spyder crossed my path. After doing some research it seems that this bike is really designed for a guy like me...someone who wants to experience an open road and performance feel but without the huge learning curve a 2-wheel bike has.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not expecting to get on one...go balls to the wall and tear down the road with my first ride. I am very conservative in my vehicular approach...heck, I tend to be on the cautious side. I will be wearing a helmet 100% of the time...I will lean towards the safe side. With that said I do want an exhilarating experience a bike offers.

As owners...what do you guys think? Is this a good idea for me to look into one?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Smokehouse

I too just got the bug to ride a motor cycle this spring. I took the MC training course here in Illinios and fond it very helpfull. The safety trainging was very good. You do learn on a two wheeler but you don't learn too many bad habbits that that would affect driving a spyder.

The spyder is a different type of machine than a two wheeler. But for new riders they are great. They don't fall over at stops and SE5 will even help with the shifting. The profile also makes it easier to see.

What part of IL do you live in? I'm in Rockton just south of the WI state line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smokehouse

I too just got the bug to ride a motor cycle this spring. I took the MC training course here in Illinios and fond it very helpfull. The safety trainging was very good. You do learn on a two wheeler but you don't learn too many bad habbits that that would affect driving a spyder.

The spyder is a different type of machine than a two wheeler. But for new riders they are great. They don't fall over at stops and SE5 will even help with the shifting. The profile also makes it easier to see.

What part of IL do you live in? I'm in Rockton just south of the WI state line.
I live down in Peoria...I've been "up north" enough times but I have to admit...never in your area.

I makes me feel good hearing your story as this seems to be the same thing I'm facing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live down in Peoria...I've been "up north" enough times but I have to admit...never in your area.

I makes me feel good hearing your story as this seems to be the same thing I'm facing.
Hi, smokehouse. I had always wanted to ride a motorcycle but finally decided to get one in 2008. Before getting the Spyder, I took an MSF course and really started doubting whether I should get a motorcycle based on all the potential safety issues, including wind pushing you across multiple lanes. The 210 and the 10 (Southern Cal) can definitely push a biker, especially a newbie, across. Then I saw the Spyder and I was bitten. Zero to 60 in 4.5? Fun AND (relatively) safe? That's what I wanted. So I got it. I'm writing from Afghanistan, so I won't be riding for a while :(, but the Spyder is the way to go for what you want to do. :)

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently purchased a rs-s and let me tell you it is (in my opinion) the perfect fit for a person with no motorcycle experience. My 55yr old mom jumped on mine and was riding it around after a quick 5min run down of the controls. Having no bike experience may actually be a benefit in terms of the spyder because i'm still trying to re-teach myself the controls (always reaching for clutch and handbrake, don't get me started on the blinkers!! lol).

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Hiya "Smoke"! I started on motorcycles over 30 years ago, but then took a brief hiatus to explore ATVing... Getting back on two wheels was going to be difficult due to health issues, so the Missus and I started looking... Conventional Trikes showed promise, but when she saw one of these critters at a Can Am dealership, we were hooked! We got our RT model a bit over a month ago, and have already got 1500 miles on it. It's a real blast to ride and you can't help but get noticed while on it! Get used to smiling and explaining what the heck it is... :D :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
306 Posts
And did I forget to mention that when you take the MC safety course that you do not have to take the test at the DMV! It's much better learning in a large parking lot than taking the test on a postage stamp sized course.

If you like, just show up at a class and go standby. Many people do not show up and you may be able to get right in which is what I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Let me introduce myself.

I am a long time sport car owner that is looking to get into motorcycles for the first time. I'm 32 and to be honest with you guys...I don't have the time to really devote myself to a 2-wheel bike in terms of advanced riding. I consider myself to be an accomplished amateur car driver having spent more time that I'd like to admit behind the wheel of performance vehicles but I know zippo about bikes. It took me years of working my way up the performance "food chain" to get to a point where I felt comfortable with a high horsepower vehicle...I'm taking the same approach with a bike.

I got "the bug" to go to a motorcycle about 6 months ago. I signed up for a training course that is available here in Illinois and I'll be taking it this fall. I'm looking for a fun experience on a bike...something I have never felt.

The problem is that I simply do not have the time I used to have. Having a demanding job, a part time teaching position and wife and a 2 year old...I'm not the 20 year old that I once was in more ways that one. I won't have time to constantly go on rides and devote myself to learning a 2-wheel bike the way I did with cars.

I had nearly given up the 2-wheel thought until the Spyder crossed my path. After doing some research it seems that this bike is really designed for a guy like me...someone who wants to experience an open road and performance feel but without the huge learning curve a 2-wheel bike has.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not expecting to get on one...go balls to the wall and tear down the road with my first ride. I am very conservative in my vehicular approach...heck, I tend to be on the cautious side. I will be wearing a helmet 100% of the time...I will lean towards the safe side. With that said I do want an exhilarating experience a bike offers.

As owners...what do you guys think? Is this a good idea for me to look into one?
Smokehouse,you are ready for a Spyder.rember one thing,It comes alive at 5500 rpm.
I find a backrest really works to stabilize you when the wind is trying to blow you off.
Enjoy. peewee

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time ryder

Smokehouse,you are ready for a Spyder.rember one thing,It comes alive at 5500 rpm.
I find a backrest really works to stabilize you when the wind is trying to blow you off.
Enjoy. peewee
It's the BEST!! Got one to ryde with hubby and son,okay mostly hubby - they learned 2 wheelers last year. didn't want to be left out and had too many falls with the 2 wheeler while I was learning. GO FOR IT Smokehouse you will only regret it if you DON'T. I agree, it does come alive at 5500rpm and boy can it take off!

If you are looking for a backrest - I recommend Utopia Products. We just installed the backrest on the RT this week and it was designed to look OEM.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Bob, It sounds like you're son's gonna get an RS soon. Willl he be rYding the 2008-2010 models, or is going to wait for a 2011 RS? G'luck to your son, as I'm still in negotiations with my wife about owning one (I've already purchased a helmet in case :cool:)!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
...And the best of luck to you too! He's got the G.F. on board; now it's the Mom that's in his way... :eek: Fortunately for him, he's living and working in Orlando, and we're way the heck up here in NYS... It's just that it would be his first streetbike experience, so she's nervous about the whole idea.
Get your better-half on the back of one and see if showing her now nice and stabile they are makes a difference! (Let her pick out her own helmet too!):cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts