Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am to new to the Spyder. I have just had it for less than a week. I have ridden a little over 50 miles. The last couple of times out I have noticed when I take off it seams to be sluggish and then it kicks in. It will do it in the first couple of gears. I have a 2008 Roadster with only 1400 miles. It has had the DPS recall fixed. I do not know if I am doing something wrong, or if it is the bike?? If there are any threads with something like this please send the to me. Other than that I have had the most fun in the last two days!!! :)

· Registered
11 Posts
Its the bYke. My 2008 GS SE5 did the same thing. None of the techs seemed too concerned about it when it came time for servicing. But that doesn't mean its normal and it might be a SE5 thing. It only happens for a split second but that can seem like a long time if you're on your guard for events at the stop light. I've since "graduated" to the RT SE5 which is a whole new experience. Instead of a throttle by cable its throttle by wire. Can't burn any rubber anymore.:(

· Registered
504 Posts
Does it do it all the time or just when it's cold? My 2010 RS kind of does that when it's cold but once it's warmed up it's fine. If it does it all the time I would suspect the injectors or stale gas. Might try injector cleaner.

· Registered
42 Posts
My RS SE5 will hesitate if I try to up shift when the RPM'S are too low. It's much, much better to rev up to higher reading on the tach before up shifting...at least 3500 or even 4000. Someone posted earlier that the engine runs cooler at higher revolutions, and it indeed does on mine, otherwise it gets hotter than I am comfortable with while lagging at low RPM'S
When my Spyder was new, It would hesitate, and sometimes the engine would even die when coming to a stop, but it stopped doing that after a while...so I don't know if that was something with the engine/transmission, or my actions.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My RS SE5 will hesitate if I try to up shift when the RPM'S are too low. It's much, much better to rev up to higher reading on the tach before up shifting...at least 3500 or even 4000. Someone posted earlier that the engine runs cooler at higher revolutions, and it indeed does on mine, otherwise it gets hotter than I am comfortable with while lagging at low RPM'S
When my Spyder was new, It would hesitate, and sometimes the engine would even die when coming to a stop, but it stopped doing that after a while...so I don't know if that was something with the engine/transmission, or my actions.
That sounds like what I am doing. When I get on it and do not think about it, it does not do it. When I am taking off or pulling out of my driveway I seem to ease out and I change grears less than 3000 sometimes. I am just trying to get a feel of everything. Thanks to everyone for their input. I will try a few things diffrent in the a.m. and let you know.
Thanks!!

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Did my first in town riding this weekend. I have leared to get on it a little harder when taking off. I also started letting rev a little higher before shifting. The only time I have had anymore problem with it is when I try to take off real easy or hesiate when I take off. Other than that this thing keeps getting better everytime I go out!!!:)

· Registered
42 Posts
Midlife,
That's good news. These Rotax engines are built for hard use and speed.

Now, If Can Am would just address the problem of over heating at low RPM's,
our overall riding experience would be a lot less stressful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.