Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member here. i have a 2008 spyder manual shift. i`m a harley rider for 40 years. and had to try the spyder. its very impressive. like most harley riders i couldn`t leave it as is. I`M LOOKING FOR GOOD ADVISE . i decided the spyder needed dual exhaust. one for each side. hooker harley mufflers, with a home built exhaust system with a crossover, as to ad exhaust sensor. i`m hoping someone can tell me the pros and cons of a system like this. GOOD OR BAD and what else it may effect? and any suggestions i should also do . it smells rich. i haven`t learned yet how to put pictures on this site and as soon as i do i will post some. but i`m willing to take good advice from others who know and tried. the system sounds like my harley with same system. also looks very impressive. Looks dirty was caught in the rain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Being an X-Harley guy, how's the sound?? Looks like the left is far enough away so's the heat shouldn't bother the belt. What I'm really wondering if it'll work on my RT?? Sure looks good!!!:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spyder dual exhaust

thanks for the input guys. the sound is awesome. i think there is enough room for the belt. heat wise. i plan to wrap the exhaust system from the engine to the slipons with header wrap. maybe this will also help for how much it heats your foot. i`m not sure how the frame is on newer years. but my 2008 the frame where the muffler mounts is the same on both sides. almost like can am planned to put exhaust on each side when they built them. all the bolts an spacers work the same on both sides. so it lets you mount the muffler in the same place on both sides. i emailed two brothers if there juice box would help with the fuel adjustment. being a more open system. they said probley . but they have never worked towards a dual system. so i`m still trying different things. i was hoping someone on here would have a little more time trying these things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dual Exhaust

I run duals (bought the bike that way) and I don't seem to have any problem. I hope to identify the muffler maker sometime. :D

The sound is rich and throaty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
corbin seat

the seat was an easy install. comfort is better then stock. rode to sturgis this year. my a-- hurt about the same as the harley. only a 400 mile ride one way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Gary:

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd try it anyway to see if you get this. I like the looks of the dual exhaust. You're in Lakewood, I'm in Fort Collins, a bit north. How has the dual exhaust turned out? Have you had any heat issues? I've a 2012 RT Limited that I would like to do that to. Is there an issue with warranty? I have a couple of mufflers that I took off a Harley Sportster I used to ride. Is there a way of working the mount to fit the Spyder? Appreciate your response. Ron R.

·
Registered
20 Posts
rt exhaust

Being an ex-harley guy I thought my RT sounded like a well made sewing machine, not acceptable. I took the stock muffler, band sawed it into thirds. Then took a cutting torch and burned EVERYTHING out of it. After welding it back together I took it to the local muffler shop and had them burn a hole in the end, insert a 2 1/4 inch pipe all the way up to the cat connection. welded the pipe securely at the rear of the muffler. I have had it ceramic coated (heat resistant). I did not use the rear cover on the muffler, But I did have the front heat shield coated as well. The sound is great & the look ( with good welding, and the ceramic coating) is quite good I think. get 12 inches past the end of the muffler with the pipe. I have run mine 5k mi since the modification with no temp. problems. no codes thrown. This I believe is because the oxy sensor is in the cat. and not in the muffler.
$50.00 muffler bought on line (just in case)
$75.00 cutting & welding
$100.00 at muffler shop
$107.00 coating

Being an X-Harley guy, how's the sound?? Looks like the left is far enough away so's the heat shouldn't bother the belt. What I'm really wondering if it'll work on my RT?? Sure looks good!!!:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Being an ex-harley guy I thought my RT sounded like a well made sewing machine, not acceptable. I took the stock muffler, band sawed it into thirds. Then took a cutting torch and burned EVERYTHING out of it. After welding it back together I took it to the local muffler shop and had them burn a hole in the end, insert a 2 1/4 inch pipe all the way up to the cat connection. welded the pipe securely at the rear of the muffler. I have had it ceramic coated (heat resistant). I did not use the rear cover on the muffler, But I did have the front heat shield coated as well. The sound is great & the look ( with good welding, and the ceramic coating) is quite good I think. get 12 inches past the end of the muffler with the pipe. I have run mine 5k mi since the modification with no temp. problems. no codes thrown. This I believe is because the oxy sensor is in the cat. and not in the muffler.
$50.00 muffler bought on line (just in case)
$75.00 cutting & welding
$100.00 at muffler shop
$107.00 coating
Can you insert photo's ?? Like to see how it looks... Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts