Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was looking to change my Z4 to a can am spyder 1 problem I live inm Scotland and the weather is never the best..

Can I use the spyder as my main method of transport? If so does anyone have any experience or do you think its more of a nice weather / weekend toy??

Any advice / info would be much appreciated...

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, the rain is one issue just now we are sitting at minus 10 with lots of snow... a bit out of the ordinary...

I'll check out the gear you recomended ... if anyone is using the spyder as there main method of transport would be great to here from you...

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I use my Spyder RS-5 for my main method of transport. I also have a Volvo C30 T-5 but it mainly stays inside the garage, nice car though. I also have a BMW R 1100 S which I have now owned (counting the replacement one after a car driver destroyed the first one) for more than 10 years.

Unlike Scotland, Melbourne Australia is a most generous and welcoming climate. No snow, no sleet. We have the occassional 43 c days, and it has rained this year; but weather is at best an annoyance, rather than a challenge.

I use the Spyder to commute to work, I use it for transport at the weekends and I also go on motorcycle club rides with it (it can keep up with the other old goats in my club). It is basically reliable, comfortable and you can have fun on it without having to destroy the speed limits.

I bought a seat bag from Andy Strapz which adds an easy 30 litres to storage and it is fine for the weekend shopping. So far, I have not found any particular issue with maintenance which would suggest that daily use will ever be a problem.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
riding, has been my primary means of getting to and from work, for years. our area is very conducive to all year riding; and offers some fantastic rides. now that were are on an RT, this'll make a huge change for the better.

a problem I have encountered is, insurance. even though its a primary, insurance still considers it a recreational veh. it doesn't matter if you put 5,000 or 15,000 miles on it; they consder it joy riding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also considering making a move to a CanAm Spyder as my main method of transportation.

I would be very interested in hearing from any California owners who use their Spyders to commute on year round. I would be coming from 2 wheels as my main mode of transportation so obviously I would lose the ability to split lanes. There are enough carpool lanes on my commute though to make up for that loss.

I would really like to hear about maintenance and such since I would probably rack up mileage pretty fast on one.

Thanks in advance...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts