Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a 2012 spyder rt, manuel tranny. It has sat unused for a year. Its started but when put into any gear from 1st to 5th, it sprints and shuts off. HELP PLEASE

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
This sounds like the clutch is dragging.......badly.
That is usually because the clutch slave cylinder has failed and is not pulling the plates open far enough.

Is it hard to make it change gears when the engine is running ?
That is a dead give away that the clutch is dragging.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
No changing gears is easy. I do not see a cable attaches to lever on handle bar just 2 wires
There is no "cable", it is a hydraulic clutch so there is a reservoir and hose attached.

So let's start over.
What do you mean by "it sprints" ?
If this was a 2-wheeled bike, that could be caused by a failed sidestand safety switch......but Spyders don't have that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I mean by sprinting is it wants to take off quickly. As soon as it gets about a foot it shuts off immediately. I see at the lever for the clutch rubber protection having 2 wires
I thought I might of had a brake frozen, but in neutral I can push it easily.
I realize it's been sitting for 1 1/2 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
since it has been sitting so long, the battery seems week. Is it possible the battery is not giving juice to what is needed for it to run correctly? Any other suggestions you have, I am listening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When in neutral will the engine run with out quitting. When in gear does the bike roll forward or backwards when you pull the clutch lever in.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
Runs great in neutral. Forward when in 1st. Backward wen in reverse.
Still sounds like the clutch is dragging.
With the engine OFF, put it in gear and pull the clutch IN and see if you can easily push it.
My guess is it will be somewhat difficult.

IF.....the clutch plates are just sticky from sitting so long, pushing it in gear like that might free it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, i agree with your diagnosis. I tried to push it when in 1st gear and no luck. Next i hit the gas while going into first and it took off. When i shut it off, it was stuck in first for a few minutes then it finally gave into neutral. i check clutch fluid in the black casing near clutch, it was empty. going out tomorrow to get dot 4 to put into it and also making sure it has enough oil also. After this, if it works i will let you know, but my question is why would there be no dot 4 fluid in the black casing? I'm open for all suggestions to try to understand why there was no fluid. Do I need to bleed the clutch fluid out or should it be ok once filled. Could I have done damage to anything when I drove it in my yard today just to try and get it going? So far I really appreciate your help. Your right on target.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
ok, i agree with your diagnosis.
Experience is the best teacher.
Been there, done that !!

I think I mentioned earlier that these machines often have the slave clutch cylinder "spring a leak" and the fluid leaks into the crankcase where you won't notice the leak.

My first Spyder did that. It was EXTREMELY hard to shift with the engine running; very easy with the engine OFF.
I think the repair cost me around $150 but that was a few years ago and it might be twice that much now.

Of course there also could be a leak somewhere else too but that should be easy to see.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
Will check it out. Will it cause damage to rid it the 26 miles to a dealer?
No, probably not.
BUT......you may find yourself in a situation where you HAVE to shut the engine off to shift gears.
Applying excessive pressure to the shift mechanism to MAKE it shift might do some damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, probably not.
BUT......you may find yourself in a situation where you HAVE to shut the engine off to shift gears.
Applying excessive pressure to the shift mechanism to MAKE it shift might do some damage.
Had somewhat the same problem… Clutch fluid leak… I couldn’t find it… Tech at the shop couldn’t find it… What is there… So just carry a can of dot4… and top it off we needed.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,253 Posts
Had somewhat the same problem… Clutch fluid leak… I couldn’t find it… Tech at the shop couldn’t find it… What is there… So just carry a can of dot4… and top it off we needed.
You need to find a different shop.
If you have an older model, you really should replace the slave cylinder......as it will just keep getting worse until one day the clutch won't work at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts