Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a simple inexpensive item on ebay that spring loads the hood so when you turn the key the hood pops up a bit and can now be a one handed operation. With shipping it was about $11.50 and took like five minutes start to finish to put on.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seller on ebay is roland1p5 and the item number is 200575887154. I found it again this morning by just doing a search for spyder hands free trunk kit. This could also be put on the seat but I didn't think I needed it there. What got me interested in this is that I like to put my helmet in the trunk when I stop so it's nice to pull up pop the hood before I get off and pull the key all without getting off doing the key thing and having to lift the hood. Lazy I know but I like it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here is what I use, less than $1. Simple spring and 1/2" copper cap. Takes a little longer to install but not hard. You can also you a #150 spring alone. I like the 1/2" cap because it allows me to keep the pin greased with fear of getting grease on me when reaching into the trunk. This works well with my electric opener.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless your hood or seat pin are different from the RS I don't know why it wouldn't work on the RT. The one I bought looks just like the pictures of the home built one above so you can probably get the pieces at your local auto parts store. The ad I saw didn't as I remember say one way or the other. My problem has been at times when I pull up and shut down, I get off turn the trunk release and put the helmet in then walk off and forget to pull the key. Now I pull up hit the trunk release and pull the key before I get off. You could put one on the seat also but since I am standing next to the bike anyway didn't see the need for one there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The spring as shown is for the GS/RS. It is very close to the $10 spring I saw on Ebay. All parts are available at the hardware store. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the copper cap and cut the spring as needed to get just a little lift to open the trunk. I have also added a $5.50 solenoind to allow me to open the trunk while the GS is running. I always seemed to be forgetting something in the trunk and having to shut down the engine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, looking at your pictures I can't tell the difference from the one I bought. As I said before I put mine on it was a hassle getting off and getting the trunk opened to put my helmet in. Half the time I would forget to pull the key and the other half thinking I forgot and having to go back and check. Great job you did, thats something BRP should have done from the start.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll try and go by my Can Am dealer and look at the trunk release pin on an RT. I can't believe that there is any difference but will check.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Corybud
I ordered my hands free spring trunk opener yesterday on ebay..will report back when it arrives and how well I can get to work.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jeff Woodard,
Your set up looks just like the one I ordered, and I probably should have made my own like you, but like Bob, I'm not that handy with tools.
Thanks for your pictures.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jeff Woodard,
Your set up looks just like the one I ordered, and I probably should have made my own like you, but like Bob, I'm not that handy with tools.
Thanks for your pictures.
I like to tinker. I'm a service tech and travel around the country fixing equipment and electrical controls. So I have a little more background in tinkering.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was at my Can Am dealer today and looked at the RT trunk release. Being a 2011 it could be different than the 2010 but anyway the RT I looked at is different and the spring will not work. I also noticed that when the key was turned the hood was released anyway. If you look at Jeff's pictures then look at the RT you will be able to see the difference. The RT has more of a car hood style release.

On a side note apparently BRP was listining as I see on the 2011 RS models they have incorporated a spring release and the trunk can be accessed with the motor running or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts