Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
My wife will be taking delivery of a new RT limited soon and her only complaint is the below average audio. What can you guys recommend for some speaker and or amplification upgrades. We are not new to the motorcycle world and I'm fully capable of doing the work, I just cant find any real specs on what sizes the speakers are and who makes good replacement parts. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
What exactly does "below average audio" mean ?
Don't panic until you are able to test the bike that YOU will get.
Whatever you/she test rode might not have been set up right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate your interest in helping.

I offer the following in response.

Below average means below acceptable. Not as good as what she is used to. In fact, as someone who is normally accepting of average quality, she is very disappointed in the sound quality of her brand new Limited RT Sea to Sky model she just picked up yesterday (to answer your other question). She's coming from an Indian Chieftain with stock speakers which she was happy with.

I dont undstand what you mean by "set up", they are factory speakers at factory settings.

Oh, before you start telling me I didnt check out the settings, I will tell you that a) I went through everything with the dealer to try and improve the sound, only to get a shrug and a head shake of "that's what you get" from the salesman, and b) I'm an AV systems designer so I know what sounds good and what does not. The factory speakers are frequency-limited with steep dips in response and the highs are steeply attenuated, God knows for what reason and bass is also non existent. Yes, they're small drivers, I get it, but better is acheivable.

The good news is the front drivers are seperates so there should be some decent options but I cant seem to get any true specs on the driver sizes and compatability, hence my post here.

Either way, if you have suggestions I'm very eager to hear them. Thanks again!

What exactly does "below average audio" mean ?
Don't panic until you are able to test the bike that YOU will get.
Whatever you/she test rode might not have been set up right.

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
What exactly are these "drivers" that you keep referring to ?

At the very least, you should discuss this with the service department; they might know more than the salesman does.......might.

Talking about the frequency response curve when you are sitting ON top of the engine with the wind whistling in your ears seems like and exercise in futility to me. And if you wear a helmet........even worse.

But what do I know ? I've just been in the electronics trade for about 50 years now and riding for equally as long.

Good luck. I hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, for someone that's an electronics expert you're not familair with the term driver as it relates to a loud speaker? the driver is a term that relates to the magnetic coil or motor (hint, driver) that powers the speaker cone. Small drivers are inherently frequency limited thus my acceptance of the realities of the limitations physics present.

You know, you're more interested in an argument than just answering a simple question about upgrading a speaker. But TBH, I love a good argument so allow me to release my frustrations regarding your obstenance.

Yes, I'm talking about frequency response because any person with at least few ounces of brain matter knows that if a speaker sounds like ass at 0 mph, its gonna sound even worse at 40 mph. Not to mention, no FOH manager walks into a venue and goes, Jeez, the acoustics in here suck, Tommy, bring in the crappy speakers becasue there's no point battling this space. I mean your logic is so flawed there's zero point carrying on a discussion. What do you know? About sound? clearly very little.

And for $29,800 for a motorcycle you oughta get a decent speaker system. I pulled one of those suckers out of RTL today and let me tell you, that is a $2 speaker if I ever saw one. Garbage. Freaking one ounce magnet, the size of a water bottle cap.

Further, WTF do you care about what my reasons, my purpose and my goals are? I'm just looking for a little advice on which speaker brands offer solutions for the Can Ams. Which companies make product for the BRP lineup? what are the cut out sizes? All you want to do is argue about BS instead of offering assistance. If you have nothing to offer, and you don't have experience with the subject matter...MOVE ON!

What a blast you must be at parties.

Random party goer: hey, does anyone have some mustard for these hot dogs?"
Easy Rider: Mustard, why do you want mustard? the hot dog is fine the way it is.
RPG: I like mustard, i want mustard
ER: I've been eating hot dogs for 40 years, you dont need mustard. By the time you chew it up your stomach never knows
RPG: I'd just like some mustard
ER (pushes mustard bottle away behind his back) Have some Sauer Kraut

I swear to God, its a simple question. let me ask it again "What can you guys recommend for some speaker and or amplification upgrades?" I figured at least one person in this forum has done an upgrade.

I'm sure you're a nice guy, but for Pete's sake just don't answer the question if you don't have the answer.

What exactly are these "drivers" that you keep referring to ?

At the very least, you should discuss this with the service department; they might know more than the salesman does.......might.

Talking about the frequency response curve when you are sitting ON top of the engine with the wind whistling in your ears seems like and exercise in futility to me. And if you wear a helmet........even worse.

But what do I know ? I've just been in the electronics trade for about 50 years now and riding for equally as long.

Good luck. I hope this works out for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
wow, for someone that's an electronics expert you're not familair with the term driver as it relates to a loud speaker? the driver is a term that relates to the magnetic coil or motor (hint, driver) that powers the speaker cone.
You can't get a good answer IF people don't fully understand what you are talking about.

AND you can't get a good answer if you throw rocks at anybody who tries to clarify the issue.

"Driver" is NOT a term that is commonly used to describe the magnet and coil that make a speaker work.

Good luck.
Might be good to get that chip off your shoulder first.

Do you really think that your tirade will make it any more likely for anybody else to respond ??
I certainly don't.

·
Banned
5 Posts
There is another site called spyderlovers.com and a few people have done some upgrades there. I have just started looking at upgrading my DRIVERS :ROFLMAO: as well on my Sea to Sky and you are correct for 30K it should have came with a better, more functional infotainment (if you wanna call it that) system. The BRP connect system is a joke at best.
I’ve seen “super moderator“ answer others with similar responses…I think because he doesn’t know the answer no one else will and if you disagree with his logic you’ll probably meet his overpowered ban hammer.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Nope. That isn't the way it works at all.
But if you throw around blatant insults on here to ANYBODY, you won't last long.
Before I became a member I’ve lurked here for several months and have read some of the replies you have left to people…you type to them like their stupid and try to belittle them when they ask “simple questions“ and if you feel I’m ”insulting” you and can’t handle the criticism or the truth then have at it, because I’m definitely not fearful or scared of you because you are a moderator or that you will ban me.

·
Super Moderator
1,102 Posts
Before I became a member I’ve lurked here for several months and have read some of the replies you have left to people…you type to them like their stupid and try to belittle them when they ask “simple questions“ and if you feel I’m ”insulting” you and can’t handle the criticism or the truth then have at it, because I’m definitely not fearful or scared of you because you are a moderator or that you will ban me.
You asked for it.......you GOT it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts