Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly what the title says. There is an intermittnet "honk" like a duck in the morning when I go in reverse. The sound doesn't sound liike it is coming from the the brakes or wheels but more like underneath the seat. Does anyone else's sound like this?

The dealer says to leave it overnight but it's really not that easy.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
504 Posts
How many miles are on your spyder? The reason I ask is if it is new the brakes may not be seated in yet and could be dragging just a bit. If you are not running the engine and take the parking brake off does your spyder roll freely? You can do this without the beep if you shut things down for a while and release the parking brake before you start the engine.

Can't say I ever heard a duck noise coming from mine. One thing you could try is put it in reverse and as you are backing up apply a little brake and see if it changes.

Also......look for feathers?

Sorry...................... couldn't resist

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hopefully Uncle Scrooge...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Don't forget Daisy.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Louie

Dooey

Huey

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Darkwing Duck

·
Registered
47 Posts
The duck is a brake pad rubbing...mine squaks every 360 degree turn of the wheel, but only at one point when I push the RT out of the barn. It is in neutral with the engine off when I hear it. It does not honk when I push it forward...tech said no big deal...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I heard the duck this morning. My husband said its no big deal, either. Barely contained my urge to look around for feathers!! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me reword that. It's actually a goose. Geese honk, ducks don't. I was wondering if it was brakes. It only happens in the morning on a cold start. When the bike sits for 8 hours at work, it doesn't do it on start-up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How could you all forget Gladstone Gander?

My '09 sounded awful when backing up, and that could have been described as goose-like... I got the new 3g pads...the jury is still out.

Just haven't ridden much since new pads 'cause it's just too durn hot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Noise while backing

Lastly, I hope...the Ugly Duckling??

My brakes on the 2008 GS and the 2011 Ltd make a noise backing up....don't quack!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Duck Duck Goose. We played that at my granddaughter's birthday party and I thought of all of you. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
SSapnts, that sounds like a fun game, although I have never played it.
As far as the honking goes, I had gen3 pads put on, labor at my expense, I might add. Took my '09 RS for about 160 miles yesterday and the honking backing up us back. Like I remarked on another thread, Who knows if the dealer really put new pads on, or just cleaned the old ones? I am in the dark about how to tell...just have to take dealer's word,I guess. Maybe I am being too skeptical, but my ears don't lie.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts