Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's too darn quiet in here I guess that it's time to stir the pot a bit... :D What accessories have you added to your Spyder, and what have you got left on the Wish List? Some of the items are mere "It'd be nice" additions and some are probably "Gottahaves!", so how does it break down? :cool:
The Missus and I so far have tucked some fog lights into the front panels and added some speakers and controls so that we can fight over radio channels so far. We're going to add some Corbin leather for our backsides, a Shortee antenna, and some LED bulbs to the fendertips...

...But I'd really like some Dayrunners up front and some RTS trim too! :eek:

Who's gonna 'fess up next?? :D

· Registered
12 Posts
Must haves; (1) Passenger arm-rests (2) 3rd brake light (3) Seat cover (sheepskin, beads, gel pad, etc). Wants; (1) More lights (fenders, running, accent), (2) Floorboards or hi-way pegs. Other than the above, we haven't got enough miles to know what else we might want/need.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill! Now that the pump has been primed we'll have to see if anybody else is willing to admit that, while their Spyder is probably already perfect, they haven't given up on making it even more so! :cool:
In the meantime you and I can continue hoping that Christmas gets here early! :D
I'm glad that you brought up floorboards... I forgot to put them on my "GottaHave" list! :eek:

· Registered
30 Posts
OK, I'll wish out loud...

I wish the suspension and the anti-sway bar were stiffer.
I wish the driver had a backrest as well
I wish the bike were more visible from the rear
I wish I could remove the rear fender and still keep my back dry
I wish my right foot would stay cool

I wish all these came standard... :p:D

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mooneych... and I wish and hope that BRP hears you! :D
My list now also has a bit more brake lights in the rear... I've been waffling back and forth between Kewlmetal's and Street Magic's...

· Registered
30 Posts
Mooneych... and I wish and hope that BRP hears you! :D
My list now also has a bit more brake lights in the rear... I've been waffling back and forth between Kewlmetal's and Street Magic's...
I have installed tips, sides and mudflaps recently and I am pleased with the results. Now I need to find some reflective sheets in silver and black.

Do you have a favorite site for reflective helmet and bike decals?:cool:

Thanks,

Chris.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, Refelctive stuff might be one of the unexplored frontiers for me... The only time I ever bought a sticker was because I liked what it said; not what it did... Perhaps Dennis Kirk has something worthwhile...
What we REALLY need is to get the Can Am "Y" done up in a reflective red... that'd be pretty neat! :cool:

By the way... how much of a job was it wiring up the Brightsides? They're on my radar screen too!

· Registered
30 Posts
Chris, Refelctive stuff might be one of the unexplored frontiers for me... The only time I ever bought a sticker was because I liked what it said; not what it did... Perhaps Dennis Kirk has something worthwhile...
What we REALLY need is to get the Can Am "Y" done up in a reflective red... that'd be pretty neat! :cool:

By the way... how much of a job was it wiring up the Brightsides? They're on my radar screen too!
I spoke to CD on the phone and they offered a great piece of advice: Do the Tips first; they come with pigtails that plug into the stock harness. Once you have the tips installed you can tap off anywhere in that wire to get your power for your side and mudflap lights. Your biggest hurtle is to have arms long enough to reach the connectors (unless you jack the front of the bike) to install the pigtails.

Its pretty straightforward if I could do it. ;)

· Registered
14 Posts
I have had my RS SM5 for about 6 weeks, riding it daily. Changes made:
1. Original horn just "meeps". You can't move out of the way as well as on a solo, so I installed a standard horn relay to take the feed from the standard horn, and then wired in the standard horn and an additional horn. It sounds like a car now; so drivers react accordingly. Total cost about $40.00 for inline fuse holder, relay and standard automotive disk horn. It required 2 holes to be drilled for mounting in gussets / brackets.
2. The soft rubber radiator shroud (2 piece) to seal the side and tank and prevent air spilling around, rather than through the radiator.
3. The radiator duct extension (and small air scoop) to re-direct heat away from the right leg (and it works too) (this too should have been standard).
4. An extra guard to protect the belt from stuff picked up by the rear tyre. The difficult to access nuts are replaced in the kit by blind nuts (should have been standard).
5. A Corbin saddle. The original is a "domed" shape and is quite soft. The original is also a bit squishy which makes it a bit harder to shift the body weight around to assist cornerning...
Things to do?
Perhaps a remote boot (trunk for you Yanks) opener so you don't have to turn off the motor to open it.
Perhaps heated grips.
Perhaps (very much dependant on cost and technical issues) a brake lever in the conventional motor cycle position - old habits die hard.
The Spyder is fairly easy to work on, and fairly easy to figure out how the thing is put together. It looks very sophisticated and futuristic; but it is (apart from the computers and such) predicatable and understandable.

Mark

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the party, Mark!
If you can say that it's fairly easy to work on... then you're gonna have to be my new best friend! :D

· Registered
30 Posts
Adding to my wish list, may I??

Hey Bob!

Can I add to my wishlist? :D

I think a "keyless entry" system would be absolutely marvelous. The ability to climb on a bike and start it, while your keys are in your pocket is priceless. Do you know of anyone who may have dabbled in this?

Cheers!

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wish Lists are completey organic: always evolving! That darn "Mode" button might be an issue with some sort of keyless system... I haven't heard of anybody tinkering with it though... Check with Inspector Gadget! He'd be the guy most likely to know what's worth tinkering with! :D
I'm thinking of adding some more goodies to my list: currently floorboards from ISCI are at the top of the list with a Cobin for my "ether region"next in line... A Kewlmetal front trunk light is starting to look pretty good though... as is their brakelight! :cool:

· Registered
30 Posts
Keyless entry

I've seen a You Tube video of a Spyder started by remote control, so the mode switch can be "simulated" by adding an extra command in the queue. This system (Viper?) is about $1000 installed. Too rich for my blood.
Anyway, I'm not looking for a remote control, just a system where i can have the key in my pocket, sit on the bike and push a button...

Dreams...:rolleyes:

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now the last thing that I want to do is rain on your Parade... but that whole antitheft key system that we've got... would any other electronics get in the way of that system?:eek:

· Registered
30 Posts
Going keyless

I don't profess to know much about how the system works, but if it works for cars, then the principle must be the same for bikes. The reason the Spyder key separates from your keychain is to prevent your keychain from scratching the bike. If there was a way for the key to never leave your pocket, then I believe progress has been made.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay... I'll buy that logic! :D (I wondered why I always had that key jangling around loose...) So if proximity would fire up the bike's electronics, a quick "Mode push" and you'd be in business!:cool:

· Registered
12 Posts
stereo?

What kind of stereo/speakers did you get? I have an RS and would love to be able to listen to my Ipod. Not sure how to go about finding one, wouldn't even need radio as long as I had my trusty Ipod!

Also would love to put electronic cruise on but the dealer tells me it would void the warranty. I have a mechanical cruise, it's not as good.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not very well-informed about what's available for the RS models as regards stereos, but I do know that there's a whole bunch of stuff out there for them! The fun is in the shopping! :D
I can tell you that the cruise control on the RT models ROCKS! :cool:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.