1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Snowmobile or 4 wheeler would be apt description. As a motorcyclist, I can fully attest to it not being like a motorcycle at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like a 4 wheeler with a very indecisive nature. Still suffers from trailing throttle understeer. Not at all even near a motorcycle. Bill

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like a 4 wheeler with a very indecisive nature. Still suffers from trailing throttle understeer. Not at all even near a motorcycle. Bill
Trailing throttle understeer, when you let off it in a turn it wants to go straight or plow. Only way to overcome it without having a losing battle with the VSS system is to anticipate the up coming turn and let off than accelerate through the turn if the VSS will let you. In most vehicles that tend to understeer with nerve one can add more throttle and bring the back out into oversteer but with the Spyder and its VSS system unless the computer allows you to add throttle you are stuck until the VSS sends you into limp mode and you then have to stop turn the trike off and wait a bit till it realizes it is still in one piece. Hopefully you will be! I have one corner near home that has sent the trike into limp mode twice now! One time I was passing another car to allow the necking down into one lane from two and the dang limp mode dang near got me killed! My how I love the computer age? Bill

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have one corner near home that has sent the trike into limp mode twice now! Bill
I also have a corner near my home that has done the same. It's an acute right turn onto a main road that is curving/banking left. If I accelerate too hard in first while still turning right, the VSS is tripped. After the second time going into limp mode, I modified my technique. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmm that is interesting! I have poped it into limp mode twice on a right hand turn with a high crown to the two lanes I have available to use. I have used any amount of hanging off the bike now to get around there at about 55 mph with no further problems. This turn is under an overpass of the interstate and is followed by a left hander which is reverse camber but appears to give no trouble to the trike.

Does anyone have a feeling of being more confident in a right hander or a left hand turn? Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts