Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you ride your Spyders at a brisk pace don't rely too much on the VSS/traction control. I live as I have probably posted before less than 30 minutes from the Dragon. For those of you who are not familiar with it just google Dragon U.S. 129 or Tail of the Dragon. I have taken my RS over it a few times in the past 2 or 3 months and have gotten a little faster each time. Today it was sunny and mid 70's and there was a lot of motorcycle traffic on the Dragon and a few sports car clubs. The Dragon is an 11 mile stretch of mountain road containing 314 curves. On the switchbacks and there are several, the RS would slide sideways coming out of the turn. The tail would twitch out first but not very far and then the whole machine would slide evenly sideways. I could feel the computer trying to do everything it could to get things back on an even keel. Probably the only thing that kept things from progressing was the throttle being cut back. Once traction was reestablished the RS would shoot forward. Never once did I cross the centerline when sliding although I went right up to it. When entering the turn I would use all available pavement to the inside which meant I used the shoulder if it was paved. Bottom line I guess the computers did as much as could be expected. As a person gets better and better at cornering the VSS will become a hinderance although on wet pavement I'm sure it will be worth it's weight in gold. David

· Registered
36 Posts
Can I get you to move the Tail of the Dragon to Maricopa, Arizona? Never heard of it before and now with your reference that makes three times in the last month of reading riding reviews that the "Dragon" was used for the test.
The closest we have in AZ is what used to called AZ Hwy 666. I lost a co-worker on that road back in '84. Didn't know him very well, still a shame. 666 has been named the Devil's Highway and Highway of the Beast. 94 miles of riding heaven from Alpine, AZ at 8000ft to Clifton, AZ at 5200ft. Too bad this fine piece of road is 275 miles from my home to Alpine. In my opinion the best ride is from Alpine to Clifton, but either way is quite a challenge, around 300 corners I would say.
Many folks think Arizona is nothing but flat desert, not so except where I live, but I love it and will never leave our 30 acre brown, flat, rattlesnake homestead.
Here is some history on HWY666 US 666

Spyder-sense

· Registered
36 Posts
VSS System

I wanted to ask the forum for more explanation of the VSS system. I hate it when I want to abuse it. I spoke of our place in the desert. Unfortunately about 1.5 miles each way of my daily ride is on dirt roads. If someone knows how to disable the VSS system inertia(G force) sensor without affecting the antilock brakes or other safeties. The corner dirt slides start out so nice and then it's like someone reaches over and hits the kill switch on the handlebars.

If you know of a post that discusses the VSS in depth. Let me know.

Spyder-sense

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Sorry... You've got to learn to live with it...
A couple of guys tried to contact Bosch to see if they were willing to offer some programming options for it.... Bosch would not discuss it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.