Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I figured I'd throw myself at the mercy of the bike gods and see what kind of sign I get back.:D
To begin with, I'm an avid rider; been riding since I was 13. Owned an array of bikes starting from an 80cc up to a HD Police Cruiser. I currently own a 250 dual sport; and have been toying around the idea of maybe switching.
I'll run a bit of a history check, so be forewarned that I might ramble, but will eventually get to my main reason for being here.
When I started road riding I was on a 2oo2T Yamaha. I then graduated to cruisers, and sport/super sport bikes. I sold my last sport bike back in 09, because I just wasn't really happy not going off road when I felt like it, and bought the bike I have now. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE (in every sense of the word) this bike. It'll do 100 mph easy, and I've modded it about as much as I can. What I'm realizing now is, that I'm spending more time on the tarmac than I am on the trails. I like to still go out there and play, but I'm finding that with nobody to ride with when I go, and I'm not really doing the hard core stuff that I used to do...yeah I dunno.:confused: I don't really miss my sport bike, to be honest. I'm just kinda at a crossroads in my life I'm realizing.
Enter the Spyder. When I first saw this thing back when they released it, I was like..."Holy shit, someone finally nailed it on the head! A cross between a sled and a bike!" At that point I wasn't really interested in going out and getting one, but I did check one out at the dealer and was intrigued with what I saw. I'm still doing some digging on it to find out everything; I like to know every nook, cranny and available mod that can be done to it.
So, to to all who might be able to lend some informative insight...

Can this bike be taken off road? By off road I don't mean jumps and single track and mud holes (that I do with this bike I have now), I mean hard pack fire/logging roads. I've talked to two people who have taken theirs off road but I didn't really get much more than a 'yeah, it's been off road' before they ride away. Reason being is, I do like to go to fishing lakes or camping, and wonder if this bike can do that. Yeah yeah, I know it's not a dual sport machine and there are bikes better suited for that (I own one :p ), but like I mentioned before, as off road as it would get would be just that. Hard pack.
I did try to do a search but it split everything up and I never got what i was looking for, so forgive me, being a noob on here, if there was a thread that I ignorantly missed.

That would pretty much be my biggest question. The others I can go and pick the forum apart. I like to research things fully when my interest is piqued.
The only negative thing so far...is the price tag.:eek: I don't like buying used, simply because I'm leery of buying someone else's headache. I have to admit, this thing definitely has me interested enough to sell my beloved 250, and possibly my vintage truck to get...but I'm on the fence still. I am looking for honest, unbiased comments on this. I know coming to a forum that is nothing but spyder riders is going to get the 'this bike is the best thing out there' comments...but this is also the place where people who have experience owning one of these machines are, and will most likely be able to help. Lol...my husband is like..."you can buy a car for that price! That's absolutely retarded dropping that amount of cash on a bike!":rolleyes: Hey, it's not a Harley. Been there, done that, kaynothxbai.:cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have pulled off on the side of a road and things like that, but I don't think that the Spyder had enough clearance to go on much more than a well maintained dirt road. In my opinion, it was designed as a road bike, not as a dual sport.

Also, I think that the drive belt may take damage from debris getting trapped between the belt and the sprocket.

Now having stuck my foot in my mouth by offering an opinion, I am sure that modification can be made to the Spyder to make it more off-road capable. I'm not sure how the VSS would behave off highway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, this is the kind of thing that is very helpful, and insightful. Taking into consideration the variables at play, with all the electronic sensors and such, these are factors one has to take into account. The thing I tend to look at, are the ones who have gone that extra mile and done the things that said couldn't be done. Not saying that it's a smart move, by any means, but there are some very crafty ppl out there who have experimented with things. For example, I made a new front sprocket cover for my bike that allows dirt and debris to exit, whereas the stock one would cake up right against the crank pin and case, and chew the shit out of both the chain and the sprocket. :eek:
I don't have any experience with the Spyder, and it is still being improved in areas as with most popular machines. I'd be interested to hear more about the intricacies in regards to what others may/may not have experienced. I can see going over a ********** in the middle of a logging road could bash a hole in the belly pan, and that would be utter stupidity even trying to ride over something if you know the ground clearance won't accept it. Hmmm...brings up some interesting ideas.:)
Thanks for the feedback, Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the ground clearance would be an issue. I was just reading on an adventure in Alaska on one of these things. Wow...just...wow! Looks like anything is possible within reason on this machine. Now just to get some seat time. I don't know anyone with one, set aside from the dealer.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had a thought today... I wonder if any of the snow mobile or ATV parts are interchangeable with the Spyders. They might help convert a Spyder into a dual sport.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm...you know...they've fitted atv's with those tracks for snow. The biggest thing, I'm thinking would be a lift kit and belt saver. Belt saver I found...lift kit...oooh man now I gave myself a cranial cramp. That would be pretty trippy dual sporting a Spyder, I have to admit. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
The RT SE-5 2010 model I have with the tow hitch installed has clearence problems just going into parking lots along the highway. With the trailer on it is a challenge to not drag over something in place I hit even along the regular road or something like that.

I had a 2008 regular Spyder sport model previous to this and even going down mountain lanes presented clearence problems. On a rutted road you can't just run in one rut (like a two wheeler could)and you are too narrow for the regulartracks. I had tried to reach several cabins my friends have and had to turn around and give up. There are skid plates on the botton opf the trikes but I sure wouldn't try any off road after my experiences with the trike.

My final thoughts are just simply not and off road or trail rider by any stretchy of the imagination! I suggest you look elsewhere and not even think abou an off road Spyder. Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no, it wasn't a means to off road it, just how capable it is on hard pack fire roads. Looks like the guys who did the Alaska run did well with it; so this was more or less the extent of what I would be putting it thru. :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Shewolf!

I'm not sure I understand the difference between off-road and fire roads. The clearance is definitely an issue, and for the price tag you probably don't want to screw up the undercarriage or front end plastic. If you're speaking of a well-maintained secondary road, I don't see a problem.

You'll want to find a place that lets you test drive, and see if you can get one for over the weekend. These are not machines you can get comfortable on in a couple hours, even with the amount of experience you've stated. They're their own breed, and you have to get to know one before you'll be comfy.

Sometimes the used models aren't a headache the previous owner is getting rid of... sometimes they didn't enjoy it or get used to the handling the way they would have liked, or they just find they are in a money crunch and the only way out is to sell the extras, like the Spyder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the thing...not many of these machines around here, including used ones for sale. As soon as I get a day off I'm going to hit up the dealer and see if I can try one for a weekend. We'll have to see how flexible the guy is. :D

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
There aren't a lot of places around here that sell them, either. Two within less than an hour's drive from my house, another one within 2 - 2.5 hours. They stock several, but not more than 10 that I see per dealership.

Let us know what you find when you talk to the dealer, and if you enjoy your ride!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ow...

Well, I got some seat time and I have to admit I've been bitten by the blue spyder. Can anyone help me figure out a way to get this shyt-eating grin off my face? it's really hurting something bad.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish it was mine. That's just the demo, but it was enuf to make me REALLY want one now.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was...still am.:D Kinda squished my face trying to grin in that helmet with those cheek pads, but it was well worth it. I took my bike for a rip today just cause it felt good, but I had to drive by the dealer again just to torture myself more. Now...to rob a bank or win the lottery.:eek:;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sorry, Shewolf, I haven't figured out how to wipe that grin off of my face yet either, and I bought mine in March! Keep your eyes peeled, there's sure to be one at a good price when you're in a position to either buy it or finance it! (This is the first time in my life I've ever had two vehicle loans at the same time... but riding my Spyder makes it worth every dollar!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
(This is the first time in my life I've ever had two vehicle loans at the same time... but riding my Spyder makes it worth every dollar!)
Yeah, that's the thing. Still have the 09 GM HD on that, and an 07 Western Star. Western Star is just about done..maybe once the house is done then I can. Oooh what a way to kick off a mortgage burning party! Get a Spyder!:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts