Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at this years Washington DC Motorcycle show, I ended up spending quite a bit of time at the Can-Am "tent".

Being from the "motorcycling enthusiast" community, I often hear lots of "It ain't a motorcycle!" comments from people. And while I agree that it's not, I don't see how it matters. Personally, I think that once you let go of that feeling that you have of what you think it is, and what it actually is, you'll like it more.

But I digress... I ended up picking up a brochure, mostly for my parents, who currently ride a GL1800 Goldwing. They're both getting up there in age (60's), and were at one time, thinking of "triking out" their Goldwing. When I saw this years Can-Am's... specifically the RT... it clicked that this might be a good alternative, as my parents seem to be open to "3-wheeled acceptance" as I am. :D

Unfortunately, probably due to Can-Am's uber-powerful marketing team, I've found myself pondering the thought of buying the RT model. I've been riding for... I dunno... 15 years I guess... and like the idea of a larger vehicle for longer distance touring and traveling. My current bike is NOT made for such enjoyment.

That being said, I have listed below a few questions I have. Feel free to be honest and up front about anything. I know that the views here might be slightly biased, but I swear I'm not with the internet police, and I won't start a blog about how terrible the Spyder is. :cool:

1. What kind of mileage/range can I expect with the RT?

2. Is there a "must-do" maintenance schedule associated with these vehicles? Or is it pretty flexible, like your average vehicle? (i.e. Oil change MUST be done at 3,000 miles or the engine WILL explode)

3. Can most maintenance be done by the rider? Things such as oil change, tire change, drive-train, brakes, valve adjustment, etc.

4. What are some common mods on the RT? Seems like I see quite a bit about the swaybar, floorboards, and 3rd brake light. Anything else that's kind of "must do"? Something that is popularly viewed as something Can-Am should have done in the factory?

5. What's this DPS recall I keep reading about?

6. Is the stock gearing on the vehicle able to move you around well enough? I know with motorcycles, in particular Ducati's, they're geared VERY high, while some manufacturers gear bikes so low you can't even ride on the Interstates safely.

7. Speaking of highway riding, if I do pick one up, or my parents do, how does the RT perform on the highway? Is it more stable than your run-of-the-mill touring motorcycle (LT, GL, etc.), or is it about the same?

8. Finally, does anyone know of a dealer in the mid-Atlantic area that offers demo/test rides? I've never done anything except sit on an RT, and would really like to move one around before dropping money on one.

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer. I look forward to the more "creative" responses I've seen to similar questions on this site. :D

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Welcome aboard! :D
Your questions are all good ones, and I'm not able to answer all of them, or even hit them in the order given.. so here we go!
You can figure your mileage will be in the low 30's. You can cover 150 miles or so before needing to tank up.
Oil changes every 3000 miles or so is pretty easy and can even be done by a bonehead like me! Checking the valves is a bit out of my range though...
Modifications?? That's kind of like which do you prefer? Blondes, brunettes or redheads? :D We all have our own likes and dislikes... I put floorboards on mine and am looking at Corbin seats...
DPS recall... BRP wants all of the power steering units replaced. Anything built after August of 2010 already has the updated unit installed
The gearing is fine... it'll get out of its own way easily
They are very stable out on the road, and love to turn and burn! :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Bob. Can I call ya Bob? :D

Yeah, I realize the "modification" question was a bit open-ended. I have the virus myself... and destroyed a perfectly good SV because of it. :eek:

Before

After

But that's besides the point.

Only 150 miles on a tank, eh? I was hoping for at least 200. I'm sure it depends on how you ride, how much you're carrying, etc.

Sounds like the recall isn't much of an issue, especially if you're buying new... or manufactured after August, as you say.

Valve checks can be tricky. It was relatively easy on my old SV, but I won't even BEGIN to attempt it on the Duc. I'm dumb like that. :p

Anyway, thanks for the answers. Hopefully a few others will chime in.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'll address only the mileage issue by saying your mileage may vary. I have read of some getting what Can-Am puts out in it's brochures i.e. 35 mpg and some getting much less. As for me I have a 2009 RS and get 25 mpg in normal riding around town and on the backroads and in the mountains. I might get close to 30 mpg on the interstate. So I will be looking for gas pumps in the 125 mile range. Not a bad thing since my knees will need to stretch about that time anyway. David

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Bob. Can I call ya Bob? :DQUOTE]

Just don't call me late for Dinner!! :D

I thought that your SV looked pretty sweet! :cool: But I've never been smart enough to leave well-enough alone! Some day my Missus is gonna put a bullet in my heart as I'm explaining why I needed to add "Just one more piece!"

I did go 185 miles on one tank, but the nerves were starting to get the best of me...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I almost ran out of gas in the middle of Indiana when riding to MotoGP one year. At least when I ran out of gas around here, I knew how far the nearest station was. :p

I'm lucky in that I've only run out of gas on the Duc once. It's more uncomfortable to push, than it is to ride. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts