Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not an owner yet; still reading and learning. Someone told me the semi-auto xmsn required separate oil and filter changes. How often are these required, what kind of oil, and is it something a do-it-yourselfer can do?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've got an RTS and did my first oil change at around 3000 to put her in storage.

It was NOT enjoyable (laughs). Pretty well the whole left side has to be taken down. But once that's done, you basically pull one plug (main oil I think), drain. Pull the transmission plug (again, unsure if I remember the order correctly). Pull the filters. Let drain some more. Replace filters. Replace plugs. Fill. Mfr recommends changing both every oil change.

Oil changes are at 600, 3000, and every three thousand after that. I went full synthetic 5W-30 or 40. Can't remember.

If I had to do it over again, I would order everything on line. Save some money. But I was in a rush to get it done, as the RTS had to get into storage mode pretty quickly.

For my hassle, I'll buy all the parts and oil and take it to the dealer next time. I just don't have the patience for doing it, but like I said, I was in a bind to get it done before I left. Definitely something a DIYer can do though.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mishapman: thanks for info. You could have called me and I'd have been glad to "store" it for you, take care of future oil changes and such! lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To follow up, I did as Mishapman did and pulled all the plastic off, and did the changes myself. I left the bottom pan off to make future changes easier.
Took about 4 hours, lots of which was trying to figure how to get the panels off. I think future changes will be half that. Bought the first set of filters from the dealer at a cost roughly $25 for the pair. Have since gone in with a buddy who also has an SE5 and ordered from this source 8 of each (HiFlo 564 & 559) for a total of $79, shipping free over $75. That comes to about $5 each filter.
PowersportSuperstore.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts