Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK. Lesson number 2. Drove to the commuter parking lot. I had to do an emergency stop for a yellow light, my husband said I should have kept going, he would have run the light. But I stopped because I didn't feel it was safe for him to run the light on his bike. I did not make any of the mistakes that I
made yesterday. Rode in the center of lane and did not speed. When traffic when merging into my lane I gave them extra room to come over.

I spent two hour practicing maintaining my lane in the parking lot and doing emergency stops. I ran through the first three practice courses in the manual. I am feeling pretty comfortable with turns and the bike. All and all this has been great, I want to ride all the time! My hand gets sore easily so we had to stop. I assume that will get better with time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Excellant! Soon you will be one with the bike..Which hand is sore, the clutch or throttle hand..You may have 2 tight of a grip and are you wearing leather gloves? They both help and protect as well...:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is my clutch hand that gets sore. Yes I am wearing leather gloves. As my husband says, full gear full time. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Your hand will get used to it if its just not being a rider that's causing it. If you have arthritis or a different hand issue, it may be a problem.

Good job on nailing the rest of your riding issues from yesterday!! Practice makes perfect, and your hubby is right... around here we call it ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your hand will get used to it if its just not being a rider that's causing it. If you have arthritis or a different hand issue....
I have MS which causes muscles pains and spasms. I just need to work it out. I have spent the majority of my life adjusting this will not be any different. Yesterday I rode for about an hour, today two hours. It will get better each time I try. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You're a trooper! :D Glad you're enjoying yourself!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sassapnts, Were you ever able to find info on aftermarket clutch levers? Bytemi, perhaps a different lever might help out with your hand...
It was my understand that there wasn't an aftermarket clutch lever for my bike. My husband moved the clutch up higher so I don't have to stretch as far, and that has helped a little. I am doing hand grip excerises at night to help with strength.

I have also found the friction point in the clutch, so I am not closing it all the way at lights and stuff like that. Out enough to be more comfortable but not out enough to engage the gear. Will this hurt the transmission?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sassapnts, Were you ever able to find info on aftermarket clutch levers? Bytemi, perhaps a different lever might help out with your hand...
I've not had any luck finding one yet. I do have a different handlebar riser on the way, hoping that will bring the handlebars to a better angle. For now I'm not wrapping my thumb around the bottom of the grip when I'm grabbing clutch, I'm keeping it in line with my fingers and holding on with the heel of my hand. Keeps the strain off of my thumb.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great, thanks Bob, I think it would really help to make me more comfortable and keep my clutch covered. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts