Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any type of advanced safety course/s for the Spyders?

and if so any in the Pacific Northwest?

·
Registered
504 Posts
The "STARS" three wheel/side car course taught in Idaho is based on the Washington state course and sadly very lacking in information relating to the spyder. Our instructor was very good but had only riden a spyder once the day before she taught our course.

The up side of my taking the course was I was supposed to get a "T" endorsement limiting me to trikes only but the DMV gave me the full "M" endorsement.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wnat/need something to help lower my insurance.

up here IF you take a motorcycle course or advanced safety course/s you get a real nice discount on your insurance

I never needed to take any courses even though I am a "new" rider, but since I have over 40yrs driving exp I never needed anything at all to get my cycle license, I am just restricted to 3 wheelers

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MSF?

I live in Canada Bob

so not sure if anything in the US will count here

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL!!!

I been looking and so far have found courses for 'fall 'em over" bikes only

most are for regular courses to get your M/C license up here..

there are a couple that offer "advanced" courses, but they are more or less racing types.

I did find a couple but they said right on their web site that trikes and side-cars are not offered..
so I guess I'm SOL !!

oh well could prolly teach them a thing or 3 about Spyders.. hehe

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
since I took my road course on my Spyder I am restricted to 3 wheelers

which is just fine for me, I have no ambitions to ride a " fall 'em over "

wife is a different story though, she wants to get her cycle license too , but part of our 3 part testing deal here you need to be able to push the bike about 200-250 feet ( to prove you can move it if you need to move out of traffic ) and so far she can't move it at all ( she's a wimp ;) ) also there is an emergency stop deal that I think she will have trouble with on the Spyder, so I think her only option will be a driving school which uses small 250cc bikes, then she would have no restrictions on her license

problem is they are around $500-$750 and we can't afford that ..

I am hoping to teach her how to ride it for emergency purposes, so if anything happens to me she can head someplace for help

GWRRA ???? what's that Bob?

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
goldwing?

hmmm don't have the foggiest idea of anything like that here

will have to ask at the bike club we joined.. most guys have them

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
more than likely..

but since we are still such NOOBS we have sooo much to learn about just about everything motorcycle related

but the people we have been riding with have been very patient with us, which makes it that much more fun and easier to learn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts