Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that BRP ships the RT / RTL's with something on the rear suspension disconnected so that it's lower in the shipping crate! When it's taken out of the crate, the tech must reassemble that area! Is this true... and if so, what comes disconnected in the crate from BRP???

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
Because the day after I picked up my new Spyder, I went over a small speed bump, at walking speed, and the rear came down HARD... with a bang... almost like I had no shock in the rear!!!
OK......so......this is not meant to be an insult or to start an argument but you need to take it in and get it fixed.
Speculating about what the problem might be, or the cause, accomplishes nothing useful.

My guess would be that the air leveling system on the rear suspension has ZERO air in it.
That is a fairly common problem, caused by various assembly mistakes and an occasional defective part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK......so......this is not meant to be an insult or to start an argument but you need to take it in and get it fixed.
Speculating about what the problem might be, or the cause, accomplishes nothing useful.

My guess would be that the air leveling system on the rear suspension has ZERO air in it.
That is a fairly common problem, caused by various assembly mistakes and an occasional defective part.
It's been at a dealership now for the past week and 1/2!!

They said that they had to disassemble the whole rear suspension, take some photos of what they saw as "damaged" and sent them off to BRP Engineering for analysis! Still waiting on the results... and the repair!!!

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
It's been at a dealership now for the past week and 1/2!!

They said that they had to disassemble the whole rear suspension, take some photos of what they saw as "damaged" and sent them off to BRP Engineering for analysis! Still waiting on the results... and the repair!!!
Sad situation. Have they offered you a loaner while they screw with it ??

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
Nope! They said something to the affect "we didn't sell you your trike"... so I guess they don't offer any loaners to anyone that did not buy from them???
Typical dealership BS.
If it is a brand new machine, it is BRP that foots most of the bill for all warranty related work.
They are just giving you a load of CRAP.

If you care that they might have it for MONTHS......while your warranty ticks away and you have nothing to ride......find the number for the BRP warranty help line and give them a call.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Typical dealership BS.
If it is a brand new machine, it is BRP that foots most of the bill for all warranty related work.
They are just giving you a load of CRAP.

If you care that they might have it for MONTHS......while your warranty ticks away and you have nothing to ride......find the number for the BRP warranty help line and give them a call.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it... BRP Customer Service US and Canada. 866-477-1415

BRP states "If you are still not satisfied with any aspect of the service performed on your vehicle, you can then contact BRP customer service. ... (all 2013 and newer Can-Am Spyder roadsters now include Roadside assistance during their warranty coverage period); the phone number for roadside assistance is 866-477-1415 in the United States and Canada."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, I called the new dealership where the bike is at this morning! (2 weeks at shop!) Like most motorcycle dealers they are closed on Sunday and Monday! The Service Lady told me that BRP approved the warranty fix, replacing the shock, bushings etc etc and she is ordering the parts today!! The dealership agrees that the bike was NOT PDI'd properly, and, I believe that they relayed that information to BRP when they sent in the request for warranty work along with the photos that they had taken of the problems!! So they told me that they will do that for me after the initial problem is fixed!! So far, so good... now we wait for another week!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2021 RT LTD threw C210A suspension codes from day 1.
Took it back and the rear leveling linkage was indeed not connected.
They replaced the bolt and checked everything out.
Threw C210A codes on the way home. Took it out to the canyons two up, no codes. One up on the freeway started throwing C210A codes again.
Took it back again. This time they replaced the leveling sensor and checked for leaks. They road tested it for miles, freeway and bumpy roads. Checked the mileage, they had indeed ridden it.
Picked it up yesterday with high hopes. Nope, threw C210A codes again on the way home as soon as I got up to freeway speeds (75).
I think I've figured it out. The bike has to be doing about 70 mph or more and has to have my 240 lb lardy ass on it, or two up. One up it throws codes in 5 or 6 miles, two up in 3 miles.
Thinking about it, the tech must weigh about 150 lbs. So the reason they cannot reproduce it is possibly because they are half my age and hence 2/3 my weight. Well that's my theory.
It goes back next week. Now if it isn't the linkage, the sensor, not an air leak, that leaves the compressor, or calibration. I suppose it could be electronic gremlins but as it throws a code for me in 5 miles and not for them in 30 miles suggests something analogue and not digital.
Even after it has thrown the codes, it rides fine, I suspect it is just not centering correctly for self leveling.
They will be delighted when I call them tomorrow, the poor old tech is going to cry for sure. He's a good guy and seems to know his stuff, it's just one those hard problems where it happens for me but not for them. You can see the optimism in his face every time he hands it back to me. Every time I take it back it's like I'm kicking a puppy. Sigh.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
Every time I take it back it's like I'm kicking a puppy. Sigh.
Like a lot of other "technicians" these days, he needs to get OVER the idea of
"If I can't reproduce the problem, I can't fix it." and start checking the component parts or calling the manufacturer for help.
You have done an excellent job of identifying the details of when it fails; not they should be able to figure out WHY.
If they don't indicate that they have contacted BRP for help, then maybe YOU should.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm kind of giving him the benefit of the doubt for now, he does seem to known the service technical manual pretty well (I bought a copy) and seems to be quite competent in what he describes. The problem doesn't seem to be one of the obvious issues. There's always some problems that stump even the best of mechanics and you have to work with the owner to reproduce the exact circumstances that cause it. I'll call him tomorrow as I am pretty sure it is triggered by rider weight at above a certain speed and by a certain frequency of suspension movement over freeway joints. He seems to have a genuine desire to see it fixed and has always treated me well whenever I appear. I've never been fobbed of with an I don't care attitude which is in itself a rarity these days. I know he has talked with BRP and they thought also it was an intermittent problem with the ride height sensor, which seemed reasonable to me. Well we know all the parts are bolted together properly now, the sensor is good and there are no air leaks. The ride height adjustments were checked in BUDS. He's a an experienced Spyder/Ryker mechanic and is well thought of by a couple of other Spyder owners I have met. Next thought would be an intermittent fault in the compressor or an intermittent fault in the wiring harness. Chucking parts at it is a little difficult as quite a lot of the components are held up in supply chain issues from Canada, especially compressors it would seem, as they are on back order and no local dealer has one. Well onwards and upwards. We shall see what transpires this week as I dodge the weather to take it back. It's at least a fun day out and the thing runs fine, it's just an annoyance that I want fixed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Back at the beginning they connected the ride height strut which was missed at the PDI. Then this time it was the ride height sensor they changed, on advice from BRP, which seemed entirely reasonable. The code was C210A which is reporting it cannot attain the correct ride height I think. Now they checked for leaks and couldn't find any. I can hear the compressor on start up, as I get ready to ride. It's a little difficult for me to hear exactly what is going on as I'm quite deaf but if I turn my hearing aids full up I can hear what sounds like the compressor going. They are going to call BRP again, but my next guess would be the compressor itself, or some kind of intermittent fault in the harness. I think the former though, as even two up if I just ride the canyons there is no problem. But on the freeway at speed it happens every time in no more than 5 miles, 3 miles if two up. So I think it is more likely to be mechanical than an electrical harness and something to do with weight and speed. The tech is less than 2/3 of my weight, so perhaps with just him riding it doesn't seem to occur? Back it goes and we shall see.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Called them to report the problem's continuation. I think I could hear the tech banging his head on the check-in desk. They are going to call BRP again to see what they suggest next. Obviously they just don't want to tear everything out and replace it all without sound data. I've had experience of just throwing parts at a problem in the vain hope it will go away, or even worse introduce new ones. I'll call them tomorrow and see what BRP has said.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
My 2021 RT LTD threw C210A suspension codes from day 1.
How long are you going to let this go on before you check out the LEMON LAWS in your state ?
I suggest that you do that NOW if you haven't already.
In most places, they only get 3 tries to fix it before giving you a different new vehicle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was thinking about that today. I am investigating that and the requirements in Utah. From what I can tell the laws here are less well defined as to when the lemon law kicks in, consumer protection is not a big thing in this state. I really like the machine and it rides beautifully. It's just really, really annoying now. I'll call the tomorrow and see what BRP say this time and see where we go from there.

My prior Triumph Trophy TTSE and a BMW GS1200 both had some kind of weight compensating computer controlled suspension height and damping control, but I don't think either were air based. They were very reliable and worked well, especially the on the Triumph.

I remember air suspension from motorcycles back in the 80's and it never seemed the most reliable in long term use. I have a Range Rover Sport, just ask me how I know. I think a system based on the kind of technology used by Triumph or BMW would have been better to be honest.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,567 Posts
My prior Triumph Trophy TTSE and a BMW GS1200 both had some kind of weight compensating computer controlled suspension height and damping control, but I don't think either were air based.
While that is possible, it is very complicated and expensive to use an adjustable suspension that is NOT air based.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.