CanamSpyderForums.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RTS Right and Left turn Dissimilar

My RTS handles completely different in a right hand turn then a left. Using some X-way ramps as a test site, I can go around a 360 degree ramp to the left and it tracks and steers fine - however try the same turn at the same speed on a right turn and the bike over-steers requiring constant correction - this goes on throughout the entire 360 right hand ramp.

I just got her home and don't know it for sure but I'm going to guess it's a toe-in/out problem. As the wheel try to straighten themselves in a turn, it feeds back to the DPS and one thing is fighting the other.

Does anyone else have a problem of this nature?

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
That is a VERY interesting finding... I haven't paid close attention to mine, but I have noticed that I seem to be turning in too quickly on some of my turns. Now I'm gonna have to see if there's a pattern in there somewhere...
Were you asking about the dartiness of the RTs? I was at the dealer yesterday with mine for servicing, and he suggested turning up the preload on the front shocks to keep it from heeling over on the suspension...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried the shock thing and yes the stiffer it is the less it instantly leans and of course the DPS does not have to react as much. I really feel most of the problem is the "softer" ride ( which it did not need) this causes the body to roll more with dips and wind gusts therefore changing the pivot distances from the DPS to the linkages which would cause the DPS to over react. I noticed when I drove the standard RT which had a much stiffer ride - the steering was considerable improved over the two RTS that were there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evidently, no one at BRP ever drove a Honda or Harley trike - the standard Spyder rides like Mercedes compared to any trike I've owned and therefore didn't need a softer ride. If anything, they should have stiffened the ride and included a better sway bar to prevent the roll factor in turns.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
The older 2008 SE-5 I had liked the stiffer front suspension settings and I am finding the new RT-S SE-5 likes the same things. I am one setting sort of as stiff as it gets on the fronts and stiff as the air shock will get in the rear and it is getting more rideable at each setting up. I can't help but wonder what stronger shocks and front swaybar might do to make it actually controlable and nice handling? I doubt that BuRP made them any different then the old settings so I would guess that aftermarket parts are again the only way to make this thing a decent handling machine which is a shame.

I find that most everyone has to have these things re-aligned at the dealer to get consistant handling in a right hand turn and left hand turn. That to should not happen in a $26k trike for sure. Rode on a Honda trike awhile back and it was very comfortable ride from the back but then it was a $42k trike and maybe they figure you deserve getting what you pay for? Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts