Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I went today to test ride my first Spyder RT. WOW! What a fun ride. However, I felt like the steering was a bit loose or squirly while turning. In fact, I felt (specifically while turning right) like it could throw me off if I was not really paying attention, and I am not even talking about high speeds! LOL. Is this just a case of getting used to it? I am trading in my Yamaha V-Star 1100 for a Spyder and I am not a big person at all (not sure if that makes a difference) . I saw that a couple of you said that in the beginning you thought that you had made a big mistake until you got used to it. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this before I pull the trigger!:)
Carol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi Everyone! I went today to test ride my first Spyder RT. WOW! What a fun ride. However, I felt like the steering was a bit loose or squirly while turning. In fact, I felt (specifically while turning right) like it could throw me off if I was not really paying attention, and I am not even talking about high speeds! LOL. Is this just a case of getting used to it? I am trading in my Yamaha V-Star 1100 for a Spyder and I am not a big person at all (not sure if that makes a difference) . I saw that a couple of you said that in the beginning you thought that you had made a big mistake until you got used to it. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this before I pull the trigger!:)
Carol
The first rides are the hardest. The steering takes little input and most new riders just over work the hand bars. Just keep a light grip and take it easy for the first few miles. I't seems those with the most motorcyle experience have the most trouble at first, just bad 2 wheel habbits I guess LOL.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Initial ride can feel a little loose.

After 2 days I brought the tire pressure up to 18 in front and 28 in back.
and upped the front suspension to max, and now am very happy with how it feels.

You need to experiment a bit with tire pressure first, then up the front suspension.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome, Carol! I can totally relate to your post. I traded in my 1400cc Intruder last Sat for an RT-S, and on my first trip around the parking lot I wondered what was going on with that steering. I am quite small, only 107 lbs, and over the last 5 days I've learned a few things. First, like the senior members here have posted--tire inflation can make a big difference. Second, it is important to move you hip and body to the side you are turning into to lessen that feeling of being flung off. Third and most important for those of us going from 2 wheels to 3--I learned I needed to stop gripping the handlebars so tightly and trying to control every inch of steering. A lighter grip on the bars lets the machine do the work and steering is smoother. I'm very happy with my new Spyder and hope you'll feel that way, too. :)

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Hi Cariol! Welcome to our little pile of fun! :D Have you ever ridden either a snowmobile or an ATV? A little experience on either of those can go a long way toward helping you make the adjustment... You lean your body to the inside of the turn and kind of put your inside knee against the pad to brace yourself. AND... keep a light grip on the bars and don't try to "oversteer" the critter! :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I do have experience with snow mobiles and jet skis (not the same :)) When I was turning right I would under shoot the turn and end up in the on coming lane....yikes! Luckily I was not anywhere where there was traffic. I guess the jury is still out....I hate to spend that much money and then not get the hang of it......or really regret it. The other thing that I have been thinking about is the maintenance on these things. It almost sounds like they are still too new and CanAm has not worked all of the kinks out. In fact, the one that I test rode kept stalling at the lights. I read about this on your forum and I told the sales guy about it. He said....hmmmm that has never happened to me....I have one word.....BOLOGNE!!!!! Makes me wonder......
Carol

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought an RT LTD without a test ride. Until the first service at 600 miles, I thought I bought JUNK. Steering was loose and the whole thing wobbled, Computer error codes, everything. After the first scheduled service, Everything Changed.. It now gets better and better with every mile. It had an issue with vibration around 76-77mph in 5th gear. They tightened up the drive belt and helped that issue nearly diminish. I think they do have some "Tweaking" to do to get it right, however I feel much better and am enjoying every mile. Just some food for thought...

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
On another forum they were kicking around thw whole stalling at stoplights thing... I don't recall what the outcome was, but the dealer suggested downshifting manually as you come up to a stop... :eek: That kind of defeats the purpose of having the SE 5 trasmission though! :mad:
Oh! I also have noticed that the front tire pressures are a bit finicky. Keep them the same from side to side or the bike gets twitchy! A one-half pound difference is noticeable!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts