Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of purchasing spyder for my wife and not sure which is a better way to go. The RS is definitely cheaper, but not sure how comfortable it would be for a long range ride. RT is built for comforts. Just seems like a lot of machine for one person to be riding. Would appreiate any thoughts or opinions. New to this forum.

Thinking RS with full tour setup.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
most people that run RS's do a lot of changes to make them comfy

lots like to do ones that make them more like a RT

there are bunches here that can let you know more, but if you want real long distance ryding then a touring bike is really what you need

especailly if you are going to have a passenger think of it like sport bike vs touring

what is going to be more comfy for your passenger ?

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
The RT has a more relaxed seating arrangement stock however with after market handle bars etc that can be fixed if you find the RS seating not comfortable enough. The RT also has a lot of stuff for comfort that the RS does not IE... stereo, handle bar/passenger hand hold warmers and a lot more storage space. The RS is lighter and I believe a bit quicker and a bit more responsive. I have my RS set up with different handlebars, comfort seat, Elks shocks etc... and love it. There are days however I kind of wish I also had an RT.

I would suggest riding both and see which you/your wife likes better. Either way I think you will end up with a great ride.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The cruise control (so you know how fast you are speeding by) and storage (for snacks/drinks and extra gear) on the RT are an added plus for long distance rides. I am very happy with the RT and have done up to 1000 miles a day on it.

Personally on my RT, I installed the smaller touring windscreen to improve the handling in wind and traffic. I admit I have never ridden the RS/GS series, but the RT is sporty enough IMHO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the difference is the electrical windshield .. if they would offer an RS with this i would order one ( looks better than my RT )
no disussion about the noise of the helmets or the size of the ryder ..
greetings from the alps in austria

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
i put the smaller touring windhshield on last year after a gust of wind picked us up and deposited us in the oncomign lane of traffic, good thing there was not one coming the other way..

after stopping and doing the pull the pants out and giving them a good shake I looked into the smaller one

not only is the bike more stable with cross winds my gas milage went up about 5% but it still goes up high enough to kill the wind and wind noise if needed. I should have got some custom made ear plugs they were selling at the bike show we had here last Jan. oh well next time

which aint' much but it's better than nothing

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
5% is just a guess though

but it really cut down the buffeting by cross winds and gas mileage definatley went up

but don't quote me 100% on how much actual mileage went up

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am averaging about 33MPG with 36MPG being my best "old man" ride after going to the smaller windscreen.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
my wife and I Ryde 95% of the time together so we are heavier than most..

last year we got 255 Km on one tank and was still not at the red line on the gauge, so this year I have a small 1 gal jerry can that I got for the bike so on those longer day and weekend trips we are planning to take this year I hope to kinda of push it a bit

But wife says she ain't pushing

fooey

hehe

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
LOL

hmmm I don't think I am going to say a darn thing

she can sneak up while on the back seat and smack me too easily

hehe

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
LOL

yup and life insurance is all paid up and she know that

hmmmm so is hers

well now more things to hurt my poor head with

hehe

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
nah

Canadain sit down EH !!!

hehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
i advise to buy her a rts or a ltd its worth every dollard and you might decide to hop in the back her . Plus you dont need the Miss to say look honey this one is lot nicer than mind when you stop at your local cafe

1 - 20 of 42 Posts