Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a RT Limited and don't think I will need a trailer but considering adding the hitch and wiring before picking it up (March delivery). Are there any other accessories I should consider as the dealer is 1.5 hours away and I don't want to take it back any more than I have to.
Thanks
RobertH

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just ordered a RT Limited and don't think I will need a trailer but considering adding the hitch and wiring before picking it up (March delivery). Are there any other accessories I should consider as the dealer is 1.5 hours away and I don't want to take it back any more than I have to.
Thanks
RobertH
I also have a RT Limited on order due in March. The one main add-on for me will be a driver backrest. Not sure on which way I will go yet. I am either going to keep the stock seat and add a Utopia backrest or go with the Corbin seat with backrest. However, at this time Corbin cannot verify that the seat they are currently selling for the 2010 RT will fit the 2011. Can-am has a different part number for the standard RT seat for 2011 but that may just be a cosmetic change. Hopefully, Corbin will know before my Spyder is delivered.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks
RobertH
Congratulations!

As far as other accessories, I would definitely have the dealership install the 3rd brake light and also the Front Mud Flap LEDs . Both of these provide the best visibility from the rear when riding the mud flaps also work as turn signals, and the 3rd brake light just might prevent a rear end

Here is a link from a sponsor. http://www.canamspyderforums.com/forums/can-am-spyder-rt-discussion/853-street-magic-genesis-led-rt-hmt-brake-light.html

Also if you ordered the helmets with communication (which I hope you did) in matching pearl white and are gonna want to use the CB for the passenger there is a separate cable to utilize that function that needs to be ordered.

I ride the bike everywhere, and at first did not get the trailer, but the trailer rides so smooth behind you don't even realize it's there. Now I can bring a ton of stuff, and still find ways to fill up all the luggage on the bike too!
Below is a pic of my sister just getting back from a 500 mile trip, she loved being able to bring everything but the kitchen sink

Also if you want, when the dealership is doing the PDI, you could have them disconnect the wire for the analog temp and fuel gage and it will revert to digital on the display cluster. Then you will have two more available spaces to put a voltmeter and oil pressure display

that's about all I can think of for now. Maybe download and read the manual so you are familiar that you spend more time riding her. I have over 12k miles in 10 months of riding!

·
Registered
30 Posts
is the Street Magic 3rd brake light fairly simple to install? I am curious as to just HOW bright it is.

and is it me, or has anyone else found that the factory helmet hooks under the seat; does NOT work with full face and 3/4 face helmets, but will only work on shorties...? or am I missing something...?

·
Registered
86 Posts
is the Street Magic 3rd brake light fairly simple to install? I am curious as to just HOW bright it is.

and is it me, or has anyone else found that the factory helmet hooks under the seat; does NOT work with full face and 3/4 face helmets, but will only work on shorties...? or am I missing something...?
I had my dealer install, I believe they have pdf instructions on what is required for installation. It is extremely bright, they have an additional wire harness if you want them to stay on all the time like the tail lights and then extreme bright like brake lights do. But I wanted my rear end to look and act like a cars third brake light would, only coming on when applied.

The factory helmet locks were impossible to use with my Nolan helmet so I got these from kewlmetal to use on my handle bars. I have had some issues with them, but they stood behind there product so I am satisfied with them.
Others have been able to utilize the hooks by simply using a small cable woth loops at both ends to rope helmet to hook

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks for the info on the light. I hoped it was super bright. we have a problem with tailgaters; and I'd simple like to grab their attention in the dark.

I'd seen the kewlmetal helmet locks and was wondering about them. it'd be work a try. did you install them yourself...?

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks for the info on the light. I hoped it was super bright. we have a problem with tailgaters; and I'd simple like to grab their attention in the dark.

I'd seen the kewlmetal helmet locks and was wondering about them. it'd be work a try. did you install them yourself...?
had dealership install, it was fairly simple they said. When one of the locks jammed it was easy to remove and replace, but getting it off of the helmet chin strap after removal took some effort to break. I carry in the trunk a #10 torx screw driver just in case that happens again.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
your mods

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions...I am going to talk to the dealer about installing some of these options....Where do I go to download the owners manual?
thanks
Robert Hudson
Florida

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions...I am going to talk to the dealer about installing some of these options....Where do I go to download the owners manual?
thanks
Robert Hudson
Florida
As of today the 2011 owners manuals are still not on-line. The 2010 is there but I don't know for sure how much it changed from the 2011.

Here is the link for the 2010 manual. You will need to select "Roadster" and then the year:
BRP -- Operator's Guides

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks
Robert Hudson
Florida
took a while to find but here is the 2010 RT I printed it out and it was very useful. I also did the practice maneuvers on the dealerships demo.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/RT/NEW2010RT.pdf

hey guess what this is the same as rcpilot82:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also if you want, when the dealership is doing the PDI, you could have them disconnect the wire for the analog temp and fuel gage and it will revert to digital on the display cluster. Then you will have two more available spaces to put a voltmeter and oil pressure display
TicketBait, I really like what you did with the meters. Can't understand why BRP would just duplicate the same readings from the LCD display. This reminds me of the useless air temp guage on my HD Ultra Classic. Replaced it with an oil temp guage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I talked with the dealership that I have my RT Limited on order. My sales rep had a conversation with BRP and was told they were starting production of the RT Limited and should be shipping the third week of March. Hopefully my wait will be over soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts