Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments or use of the aftermarket Hitch for the RT. I saw it on e-bay for $299.oo. Trailerect was the page, looks almost the same as can-am just bent with a different design.{ folds nicely in my wallet} Can't find any reviews other than e-bay feedback about great product and shipping.. Other forums are concerned about module wiring.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I found a factory RT hitch on eBay for $400. Love the fit and finish but have not towed with it yet. But I can stand on it and certify 270# of tongue weight...

Don't forget about the wiring harness. The factory hitch comes with it. I'm not sure what the harness cost is by itself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hitch

I intend to purchase said hitch next month. I have the complete wiring harness information for my RTS so I'm going to fabricate my own. What I'm going to do with it is mount a smallish trailer tongue box with lights and stuff
for some additional storage. I saw on the mounting instructions on EBay that all one has to do is omit a spacer on the axle, a lot like the BRP hitch. I'll let you know.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that will be the route I take as well. My trailer is a tear drop. I wired it for individual action on each light. Using led strips for each required light. Had to! refused to by the Harley converter to pull the trailer.. Works great and bright as hell when they all come on!! Just need to buy the oem plug from custom dynamics and make all connections at the rear. left side right side..

Keep me posted, I'll do the same...Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the way

Got confirmation the hitch is on the way. Went with the $299.oo version. I tried getting info about size of material used, but never got a reply. Intended on fabricating my own. Looks like now it'll be a $300.oo investment to make a few for friends around here. I do like the fact that the towbar is removable, so that I'll be able to make a 3 flag bracket that is removable also. Will definately make the wife happy. She's been on my ass about her flag not being on her ride.:mad:..

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The investment is worth the price if it makes the wife happy! Just my opinion, of course... :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When mama's happy,, Life is safe and good"

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We be draggin now

Hitch arrived this morning. Relatively easy installation. Almost just like the directions say. Floorjack placed on the shock mount. Lifted tire about 1/4" off the ground. Retrieving the axlebolt was a bit of a pain at 1st. Used a XL Screwdriver under tire to slowly work around till the sweet spot was found and then it slid right out. Going back in with the axle about midway took some jiggling of the tire to get it to pass thru. I used a rubber mallet and the same XL Screwdriver to pursuade it to the otherside swingarm. Eyeball the hole and tapp lightly to get it moving. The tire needs to be just touching the ground so a sideways movement will align the axle and hole. I had to re-align my bet after this was all back together. NOTE: I did not loosen the belt tensioners prior to removing the axle. But once everything was back together I rolled the tire in reverse about 5 complete revolutions and the belt was half on the pulley, I rolled it forward the same and the belt never moved. So re-alignment was reqiured in my case. I'll post pics after I drag the trailer and make sure it holds up. Now just if my wiring harness goes as smooth as the instalation..Fingers,toes,and arms crossed...hmmm must be thinking!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Worth the money $299.00

4 wires and booquea's o lights.. Only problem was the powdercoating was so thick, the connection did not allow for the frame ground. So I added a groung wire from the harness to the hitch and attached to the mounting bolts on the hitch plug. Worked fine. I did not purchase another wiring coupler from custom dynamics fofr the left side control. I tapped the left turn blinker and ran a jumper under the trunk to the right side and made all the connections.

Can't post any pics, don't have a url for them.. But you can check out my FB Schnauzer's SpyderPouch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts