Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the dealer installed the touring windshield on my new 2010 RS SE-5 but didn't install the side wind deflectors because, he said, you had to drill the body to do so. He was going to toss them away, I guess, but I asked for them and installed them myself when I got home. So much for dealer knowledge, eh?

I rode the RS the previous day for over 300 miles without the deflectors and then yesterday with the deflectors and, to be honest, I noticed no difference at all except that the deflectors captured a bunch of bugs that I'd just as soon have missed.

Even the design of the deflectors seems odd: They split the wind half up and half down so it would seem that half the wind is directed directly at me rather than away from me.

So I'm on the verge of removing the deflectors and retaining the smooth, elegant appearance of the deflector-less RS.

Anyone know of any reason why I should leave the deflectors on the machine?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Side wind deflectors

I installed the touring windshield but did not like the looks of the deflectors so I left them off. With the cold weather last week I thought I would try them out to see if they would keep some of the wind off my legs.

What I found was that I got a gas smell from the exhaust right away. My dealer had asked if I smelled gas with them on before I had tried them so this must be common. I also found that they blew air right at my hands. I rode on a day with a little rian and the top of my hands were dry but my fingers were completly wet! This is on the bottom side of the hand grip just from the air blowing up at my hand. They came off as soon as was back home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wind Deflectors

Whoa!! :( Thanks, Jeff! That's exactly the type of information I sought. I'll remove them right away. The rig looks much better without them anyway! Appreciatecha! :)

I installed the touring windshield but did not like the looks of the deflectors so I left them off. With the cold weather last week I thought I would try them out to see if they would keep some of the wind off my legs.

What I found was that I got a gas smell from the exhaust right away. My dealer had asked if I smelled gas with them on before I had tried them so this must be common. I also found that they blew air right at my hands. I rode on a day with a little rian and the top of my hands were dry but my fingers were completly wet! This is on the bottom side of the hand grip just from the air blowing up at my hand. They came off as soon as was back home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the dealer installed the touring windshield on my new 2010 RS SE-5 but didn't install the side wind deflectors because, he said, you had to drill the body to do so. He was going to toss them away, I guess, but I asked for them and installed them myself when I got home. So much for dealer knowledge, eh?

I rode the RS the previous day for over 300 miles without the deflectors and then yesterday with the deflectors and, to be honest, I noticed no difference at all except that the deflectors captured a bunch of bugs that I'd just as soon have missed.

Even the design of the deflectors seems odd: They split the wind half up and half down so it would seem that half the wind is directed directly at me rather than away from me.

So I'm on the verge of removing the deflectors and retaining the smooth, elegant appearance of the deflector-less RS.

Anyone know of any reason why I should leave the deflectors on the machine?

Thanks!!
Have a 2009 RS. Had my touring windshield and deflectors installed about 4 weeks ago for the colder riding season. Noticed an increase of exhaust/fuel smell and the wind seems to grab and throw me around more than it used to. Removed the deflectors today and will see what change happens. Or not. I agree that it looks better,too. Will follow your question and answer to see if it helps mine!

·
Registered
504 Posts
RS Sport Touring / Ultra Touring windshields

Hi All,

I am trying to decide between the RS sport touring 14" windshield and the 24"? ultra touring windshield. I have not seen any real good pictures of either of them on a spyder but would like to before I order one or the other. I have seen some what I would call rather odd looking after market windshields and do not want to go there. I would just hope those look better in person than they do in the pictures I have seen.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just removed the brackets that held the deflecters in place. The holes used to hold the brackets on are also used to hold on the panel that says "CAN AM"so where are the holes that the dealer , including mine, said that "had to be drilled"?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just removed the brackets that held the deflecters in place. The holes used to hold the brackets on are also used to hold on the panel that says "CAN AM"so where are the holes that the dealer , including mine, said that "had to be drilled"?
No holes needed to be drilled, they just use the existing panel holes as you point out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exhaust fumes

Tried the BRP wind deflectors, liked the protection but could'nt stand the exhaust fumes. Removed them after taking a trip.;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tried the BRP wind deflectors, liked the protection but could'nt stand the exhaust fumes. Removed them after taking a trip.;)
Isn't amazing how a little piece of plastic can suck the exhaust up to the driver! I wish the windshield was a little taller. Right now the wind hits me right in the head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts