Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering....My RS-SE-5 runs at 4500 RPM's doing 55mph. Is this normal???? It almost feels like I should be shifting into 6th gear....or is it just me not used to the bike yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
sounds normal. my rt m5 runs what yours is doing. unlike the other big v-twins, spyders like high rpms. they do not like to be lugged. keep the rpms up like you would if it was a crotch rocket and she will be happy

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Hubby and I were talking about it and he said it's probably what they runs at. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to have it looked at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed if I keep an even 55 speed it stays right at 4500. It'll go to 4550 at 56mph. It jumps up and down as I go up and down in speed. I'm doubting there's really any difference between the two bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my new bug less thana week...coming off a Suzuki SV 650. The spyder seems to enjoy a higher rpm than my SV did...it seems as though it wants me to remain at lower gear levels, it's smooth
er that way....but, i'm wondering how this will affect the gas mileage?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe I'm looking for trouble but for speeds under 55 but normal highway I 've been running my 2011Rt in 4th gear. Sounds and feels a lot better .

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bob ...I'm an 'olphart " also that shifts low but at low rpms and around 45 - 50 my bike just don't feel right in 5th.Maybe its just in my head ? MPG has been staying right around 30 now no matter how I ride unless strictly in town then it drops .

2011 RTSSM

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ran a couple of tanks of high test thru mine and didn't see a difference , either in mpg or performance around town.Would think that if I was going to see any difference at all it would show on the 2nd tank ? Both tanks took 5 gallon to fill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts