Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here... a little background. I have a BMW GS, had a KLR and just did a longish trip on a Ural. Love the three wheeled thing, think the Spyder might be a nice addition to the stable. Big question: How suitable would a Spyder be for a down and dirty 2-3 year trip around the world? Has anyone done it? I plan mostly paved roads, but as you likely know long trips tend to include bits of everything. I have done a few multi month trips in North America and have been able to handle any mechanical problems that have shown up (so far). Given the parts I am usually able to fix things.

Do you think a Spyder could handle a 125,000 km trip with simple to do repairs and basic type of maintenance?

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
With the right preparations you could travel the World on just about anything with wheels and an engine... You're probably going to have to reach out to some of the high-mileage riders to see what an accumulation of miles (or kilometres...) does to the mechanicals and electrical systems...
That having been said... They're a real nice stabile ride that would handle the paved roads just fine. I'd be careful of the rougher surfaces since I've already "stubbed" my airdam twice! (Maybe air shocks up front??)

· Registered
13 Posts
Given its very limited ground clearance and the manufacturer's advice to avoid gravel roads, I'd say the Spyder would not be my first choice for an around the world ride. I'd look for something lighter, more nimble, and capable of heavily rutted, potholed or unpaved roads. Right now my choice would be a BMW F800GS or the F650GS.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too bad. After spending some quality time on the Ural I am sort of hooked on three wheels. I like the two wheel Beemer and as we all know they routinely go RTW. I was just sort of thinking that having a third wheel would be rather nice on nasty road surfaces. I think I may just wish for a adventure version coming from Spyder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.