Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 Can Am Spyder and it seems a little squirrely when I'm driving down the road. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem. I have heard that this bikes are very stable. How much air should I put in the Tires? what do I need to do to fix this issue? I usually ride by myself and it's not too bad, but when I put my girlfriend on the back it gets more scary to ride fast. Any and all help will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,485 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Can Am Spyder and it seems a little squirrely when I'm driving down the road. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem.
How much experience do you have on 2 wheels ?
The whole Spyder experience is different and it takes some time to adjust.
First, lighten your grip on the bars and practice looking DOWN the road instead of looking at the pavement right in front.

IF.....you have OEM Kenda tires, up to 4 PSI over the recommended tire pressure can help some.
Finding a dealer that does laser alignment might help too.
Many riders find that a stiffer sway bar feels better.

Most new owners find that "time in the seat" is the most important fix........and that over reaction to perceived instability actually CREATES instability.

Please browse back through older posts in this forum.
It has been discussed at some length.......several times.

·
Registered
2017 Spyder F3 Limited
9 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Can Am Spyder and it seems a little squirrely when I'm driving down the road. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem. I have heard that this bikes are very stable. How much air should I put in the Tires? what do I need to do to fix this issue? I usually ride by myself and it's not too bad, but when I put my girlfriend on the back it gets more scary to ride fast. Any and all help will be appreciated.
Loose hands, loose arms. The electric steerig assist is hyper sensitive to any input, so RELAX them. 1K miles to feel comfortable. Another 1K to feel in control. Give yourself time.

Reactions: FBE9696H- RSS'09

·
Registered
3 Posts
replace the sway bar

·
Registered
2017 Spyder F3 Limited
9 Posts
replace the sway bar
Could be there is already an aftermarket swaybar - did you ask? Tell him, if there are plastic link, it's OEM. If they are metal, it's aftermarket. Handling accessories should be added one at a time in at least 1K mile intervals.

Reactions: Canuckrob

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 2014 RT LTD. Mine was squirrely front end due to the tires being towed in I had a laser alignment and then put Baja Ron sway bar on. What a big difference

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2014 RT LTD. Mine was squirrely front end due to the tires being towed in I had a laser alignment and then put Baja Ron sway bar on. What a big difference
I had a laser alignment when I put my new fronts on. What a huge difference. Lightened the pressure I had to assert to turn. Very light touch and gives the best handling I’ve had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it is unstable in the turns-could be you're not leaning forward into the turn or you may need aftermarket sway bar (if you do't have one on already)to help keep the bike stable in the turns. If it's just when you're riding, could be that you just need more time in the saddle. I wouldn't do anything till you have some more time riding to see if it is just the newness of the riding experience. I have a 2014 RTL with a baja Ron sway bar and that really helped. You could always have the alignment checked also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It prevents the force from pushing me in the opposite direction. I get the impression from your question that you may not agree. If so, that's ok........ this is America.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,485 Posts
It prevents the force from pushing me in the opposite direction. I get the impression from your question that you may not agree. If so, that's ok........ this is America.
Whatever makes you comfortable.
But leaning toward the inside of a turn, with your inside leg pressing against the tank is usually the best technique to achieve the best rider stability. That is only slightly different than on 2 wheels......but for a somewhat different reason.

·
Registered
2021 F3
12 Posts
Planting your outside leg into the foot peg/ floorboard helps with stability too. That is if you're riding position has your legs under you, rather than being stretched out in front of you cruiser-style.

·
Premium Member
2020 F3Ltd
12 Posts
How much experience do you have on 2 wheels ?
The whole Spyder experience is different and it takes some time to adjust.
First, lighten your grip on the bars and practice looking DOWN the road instead of looking at the pavement right in front.

IF.....you have OEM Kenda tires, up to 4 PSI over the recommended tire pressure can help some.
Finding a dealer that does laser alignment might help too.
Many riders find that a stiffer sway bar feels better.

Most new owners find that "time in the seat" is the most important fix........and that over reaction to perceived instability actually CREATES instability.

Please browse back through older posts in this forum.
It has been discussed at some length.......several times.
Esential is accurate wheel alignment. Without that all other tries will fail.
Secondly, for my 2020 F3Ltd ridden vigerously on mountain roads, my tyre pressures are F17 psi, R 22psi to give me F30K+ km and R 20K+ km. Kenda tyres.
Thirdly, upgrading my sway bar was a must. Rabbit Australia (Sydney) works a treat.
I also adjusted front damper pre-load to about half way up the thread to give a little stiffness for my weight but not too much for our pot holed roads.

And, yes, I'm quite happy for the experts to tell me once again that I've got it all wrong. However, with 40K+ ryding average per year (without a passenger) my results speak for themselves. Enjoy your very capable machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts