Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
So, I'm having some issues with the rear suspension on my 2013 RT-S SE5 in which I need to replace the pump, air bag and shock. All of that is going to cost me around 800 bucks. However, I've been looking around and see that some folks are just replacing all of that with an Elka shock (here's an example). My question is, most of the time I ride with my wife, but there are some occasions I ride alone. With the difference in weight, is it going to be a huge difference in ride height or rebound between riding solo vs two up?

Basically, I'm looking to hear from someone who's made this switch and what your experience has been. It's pretty enticing since the Elka cost about the same as replacing all of the current components, and this bike has had a history or rear suspension failure from the previous owner.

Thanks!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can say is I put Elka shocks on all for corners of my utv and love them, riding on a cloud.
Yeah, I can say the front end definitely needs to be stiffened up on mine, too. Did you bypass or replace your air suspension for the Elka? Or are you still using the air suspension along with the new shock?

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
Yeah, I can say the front end definitely needs to be stiffened up on mine, too. Did you bypass or replace your air suspension for the Elka? Or are you still using the air suspension along with the new shock?
I am not familiar with the replacement shocks but...........
The air suspension really does not change the shock characteristics but changes the spring rate.......to keep the shock more or less centered in it's travel.
SO.....if you eliminate the air system, your new shock also needs to have an adjustable spring as part of it.
Or at the very least, it needs to have a fixed spring or the back end will sag with just a plain shock back there.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not familiar with the replacement shocks but...........
The air suspension really does not change the shock characteristics but changes the spring rate.......to keep the shock more or less centered in it's travel.
SO.....if you eliminate the air system, your new shock also needs to have an adjustable spring as part of it.
Or at the very least, it needs to have a fixed spring or the back end will sag with just a plain shock back there.
That's a really good point. If the preload is tuned for my wife and me, and I'm riding alone, the shock would really be stretched out.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is the point.
But maybe it wouldn't be as bad as you think.
A compromise setting is often possible.
Yeah, it seems to work for a lot of people. I think I'll hold out until I feel like shelling out the major duckets for a rear shock with an external adjustment for preload or ride height.

I'll just fix what's there for now and hopefully it'll keep working for a while.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone!
So, I'm having some issues with the rear suspension on my 2013 RT-S SE5 in which I need to replace the pump, air bag and shock. All of that is going to cost me around 800 bucks. However, I've been looking around and see that some folks are just replacing all of that with an Elka shock (here's an example). My question is, most of the time I ride with my wife, but there are some occasions I ride alone. With the difference in weight, is it going to be a huge difference in ride height or rebound between riding solo vs two up?

Basically, I'm looking to hear from someone who's made this switch and what your experience has been. It's pretty enticing since the Elka cost about the same as replacing all of the current components, and this bike has had a history or rear suspension failure from the previous owner.

Thanks!
Mikey, I had the 2013 rt SE5, which I traded in for the 2022 rt limited, and I never had a problem with the rear shock. My wife and I also ride together and I ride alone similar to what you described, and I never had a problem with the stock components. My issue is with the new 2022 rt limited.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts