Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Spyder dealer informed me today 9/8/10 of a MAJOR safety Recall on most Spyders. The problem he staes is the steering mechanism must be replaced (separate from the software reboot last year). He said BRP has gone so far to say DO NOT RIDE your Spyder till its fixed. All owners are supposed to be notified by maill in the next few weeks!:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Second phase to the DPS voluntary safety recall launched in July 2009"

Here's a notice that was posted by BRP's VP in North America (copied directly from another Spyder forum posted 9/8/10 @ 0630):

Dear Can-Am Spyder Roadster Community Members,

As part of our on-going commitment to keep our communication lines open with our Spyder roadster community, I wanted to reach out to you today regarding a situation we understand is frustrating to each of you. By now, you are probably aware that we are initiating a second phase to the DPS voluntary safety recall launched in July 2009. This second phase will require all 2008, 2009 and 2010 Spyder roadster models and variants produced prior to August 19, 2010, to have a second-generation DPS system installed.

We at BRP understand the disruption this causes with the enjoyment of your Spyder roadster. I want you know that this second phase illustrates our commitment to the safety of our owners and represents BRP standing firmly behind the Spyder roadster. The second-generation DPS system is designed with improved robustness and increased service life.

Everyone at BRP prides themselves on product innovation and quality. We are totally focused on improving your product experience by listening and reacting as quickly as possible. This is still the beginning of the Spyder adventure and we appreciate your patience while we work through issues.

We will continue to keep you informed and look forward to sharing many more miles together as a community of Spyder owners.

Sincerely,

Yves Leduc
Vice President and General Manager
BRP North American Division

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still trying to figure this out.

Here's a notice that was posted by BRP's VP in North America (copied directly from another Spyder forum posted 9/8/10 @ 0630):

Dear Can-Am Spyder Roadster Community Members,

As part of our on-going commitment to keep our communication lines open with our Spyder roadster community, I wanted to reach out to you today regarding a situation we understand is frustrating to each of you. By now, you are probably aware that we are initiating a second phase to the DPS voluntary safety recall launched in July 2009. This second phase will require all 2008, 2009 and 2010 Spyder roadster models and variants produced prior to August 19, 2010, to have a second-generation DPS system installed.

We at BRP understand the disruption this causes with the enjoyment of your Spyder roadster. I want you know that this second phase illustrates our commitment to the safety of our owners and represents BRP standing firmly behind the Spyder roadster. The second-generation DPS system is designed with improved robustness and increased service life.

Everyone at BRP prides themselves on product innovation and quality. We are totally focused on improving your product experience by listening and reacting as quickly as possible. This is still the beginning of the Spyder adventure and we appreciate your patience while we work through issues.

We will continue to keep you informed and look forward to sharing many more miles together as a community of Spyder owners.

Sincerely,

Yves Leduc
Vice President and General Manager
BRP North American Division
I had the software upgrade done last year for the DPS. Does this notice mean I still have to get the DPS replaced anyway?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recalls and Thanks

My Spyder dealer informed me today 9/8/10 of a MAJOR safety Recall on most Spyders. The problem he states is the steering mechanism must be replaced (separate from the software reboot last year). He said BRP has gone so far to say DO NOT RIDE your Spyder till its fixed. All owners are supposed to be notified by mail in the next few weeks!:eek:
I contacted BRP and got a reply back stating that my unit is in the recall, so I have an appointment next week on the 15th at nine am at the Greenville, SC PowerSports. Thanks to all... Glenn:cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Svc Mgr informed me today that the steering part on recall has been ordered for my RT and will be here in about 3 weeks. Will call me for installation time. Happiness is riding my Spyder!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
More info here on this recall!
BRP will automatically ship the DPS units to the dealers form replacement...
BUT... They're only shipping out 10% of the total # of Syders sold, with that number broken down into RS and RT models. If your dealer sold 50 RS modwls and 10 RTs, he'll get 5 RS DPS units and only 1 RT unit for the inital replacement. As they get replaced and returned to BRP. they ship out one unit for each returned. The dealers are handling the recall on a first-call, first-replaced basis
So call early or be prepared to wait! :eek:
It's that whole issue of the unit failing and causing increased steering effort, which can result in an over-compensation, causing a rider to end up where they really don't want to be! :eek: :eek:
(I was #3 on the RT list, and they're hoping that it'll only be a month! :mad:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
42 Posts
Recall Notice

Newbie here,
I read about the steering recall and called brp this am, and was told to call my dealer about getting phase 2 recall work done. This involves a new steering module to be installed, which was ordered today by Central Texas Powersports of Georgetown, Tx.
Thanks Bob Denman and others for alerting me about the recall on my brand new RS SE5 spider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recall Done !

Picked up my ride this afternoon - dropped it off yesterday for 3k oil change - service department called later and said they got 1 DPS unit on the afternoon truck and asked if I wanted it. Left the bike overnight and picked it up today after work. Pretty lucky !

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not a good idea to have everyone and their brother call dealers to set up appointments all at the same time. That's a recipe for eeryone getting upset about their Spyder being in the shop for an extended period of time. I'd rather ride it. If you're not having issues with your steering and you'e not received a notice yourself, why would you want to get in the long line that appears to be forming?

Recall means your time will come...doesn't have to be today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm planning on making the SITS but this has me worried about riding that far without having the recall taken care of before going. I'm call my dealer first thing Monday morning to see if that will be possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DPS Recall

I called my dealer, here in Virgina on Saturday morning, and the service manager said that Brown had just delivered 10 DPS units about an hour ago. He asked me to bring in the bike (2009 RS) in that day. I get the bike back on Wednesday and will report on how the steering feels. I have had small problems with the steering, mostly with it "stiffening", then releasing. I will know immediately if it solves the problem.
I have to say that the dealer in Woodbridge VA has really stood by their product and have an outstanding team, in both parts and service. I am pleased.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts