Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2019 Spyder RT Limited Chrome. I found one that has 14,000 miles and I have been told is in great condition. The dealer tells me that the tires are all new, they did a complete inspection and oil change. I asked if they had maintenance records on the Spyder and have not heard back. This would be may first spyder purchase. Thoughts on other things I need to verify/check? This unit the dealer wants $24,900 - the price seems to be inline with other dealers.. I would like a warranty just in case major issues arise - do you know if BRP will offer a warranty on a 2019 (have not asked the dealer yet).

Just trying to make sure I am not taken for a ride. I have purchased lots of RVs, Cars, Trucks, Snowmobiles, car trailers but never a Spyder or even a motorcycle. Appreciate any guidance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I RVTYME
If you don't want to be wrong, have it inspected at an independent workshop.
A salesman remains a salesman, they are all liars.

FlyBoy2121

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
Just trying to make sure I am not taken for a ride.
The only thing I see wrong with this picture is that they probably put a new set of the cheap OEM tires on it which are NOT GOOD.

Doubtful that BRP will have an extended warranty but most all dealers sell products from other companies.

Have you actually taken a test ride yet ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing I see wrong with this picture is that they probably put a new set of the cheap OEM tires on it which are NOT GOOD.

Doubtful that BRP will have an extended warranty but most all dealers sell products from other companies.

Have you actually taken a test ride yet ?
Ah good to know about the OEM tires. Frankly, I was surprised at 14k miles that they were even replaced... had me wondering why. No I have not taken it yet for a spin... found it.. researching things I need to look for and then I would go to the dealer for the test ride and inspection of the unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah good to know about the OEM tires. Frankly, I was surprised at 14k miles that they were even replaced... had me wondering why. No I have not taken it yet for a spin... found it.. researching things I need to look for and then I would go to the dealer for the test ride and inspection of the unit.
I know car tires, but don't really know the CAN-AM Spyder tires. What are some good brands to consider as an upgrade to the Kenda tire they come with?

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
I know car tires, but don't really know the CAN-AM Spyder tires. What are some good brands to consider as an upgrade to the Kenda tire they come with?
Despite some general confusion, that is in part created by the dealers...............
The Spyders come with small car wheels and small car tires.
They have a very light capacity rating and are thin and flexible.
That contributes to rapid wear AND excessive sidewall flexing, making for an unstable ride feel.

Almost any major brand of "real" car tires that are very near to the same size will be better.
And you can choose the characteristics that are important to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Despite some general confusion, that is in part created by the dealers...............
The Spyders come with small car wheels and small car tires.
They have a very light capacity rating and are thin and flexible.
That contributes to rapid wear AND excessive sidewall flexing, making for an unstable ride feel.

Almost any major brand of "real" car tires that are very near to the same size will be better.
And you can choose the characteristics that are important to you.
Great information - thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a 2019 Spyder RT Limited Chrome. I found one that has 14,000 miles and I have been told is in great condition. The dealer tells me that the tires are all new, they did a complete inspection and oil change. I asked if they had maintenance records on the Spyder and have not heard back. This would be may first spyder purchase. Thoughts on other things I need to verify/check? This unit the dealer wants $24,900 - the price seems to be inline with other dealers.. I would like a warranty just in case major issues arise - do you know if BRP will offer a warranty on a 2019 (have not asked the dealer yet).

Just trying to make sure I am not taken for a ride. I have purchased lots of RVs, Cars, Trucks, Snowmobiles, car trailers but never a Spyder or even a motorcycle. Appreciate any guidance.
check with power sport in Vegas for deals on Can Am...many dealers will quote as much as able...I live in Hawaii and there are no dealers....I checked with many dealers in west coast and ugghhh....I have a Spyder F3 2018...great ride....Good luck !! RAY E

·
Registered
2 Posts

We purchased a 2019 Spyder RT in June of this year with 186 miles on it from a dealer. We paid $21,250 for it. We are loving it! It still has a factory warranty until February of 2023.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Price seems high. $4000 more for new, full warranty option for extended. New model is a lot easier to drive being 10in longer and nicer style. After having 4 spyders, I found 18k-20k mi on front tires 12-15 on rear. Only been using OEM tires which seems to handle the corners and bumps fine. Gription on wet roads is good. Harder rubber compounds are uncharted territory for me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Price seems high. $4000 more for new, full warranty option for extended. New model is a lot easier to drive being 10in longer and nicer style. After having 4 spyders, I found 18k-20k mi on front tires 12-15 on rear. Only been using OEM tires which seems to handle the corners and bumps fine. Gription on wet roads is good. Harder rubber compounds are uncharted territory for me
We need the shorter Spyder due to our toyhauler space. So this keeps us in the 2019 or earlier Spyder. We also found a brand new 2019 RT Limited Chrome for 26,999 only 1 mile on it. I am going to call the dealer to find out about warranty - I assume that since it is listed as "New" it comes with the factory warranty and the option to purchase a longer term through best. I am still shocked with the price, I am finding folks are not as flexible as I would like. We will see on this as they have several on the lot - new 2019's and I assume they want to move them. As for the newer Spyders - love to have one if it was shorter - I need the 105" length maximum. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately the newer Spyders are too long for my toyhauler garage. I need to stay 2019 or earlier. Good to know about the OEM tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, definitely shop that price. I bought a 2019 brand new in 2019. This had zero miles on it, but was to be the store demo model. Found a 2nd dealer who had the same model listed for less and they matched the price. Paid $25,600. So, they have room in both of those.
2 things I would check on besides the tires. 1. That it has the belt tensioner installed. 2. The alignment on mine was off, felt like it had toe-in and made them laser align it, huge difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts

If this is your first Spyder and you are coming from extensive experience on two wheels and you have not yet extensively test ridden any Spyders IMO, you have the cart well before the horse. If you have the experience I've outlined above you very first reaction to the Spyder may very well be, "Holy s**t! this is the squirrelliest piece of crap I've ever thrown a leg over." It won't be your fault, just your total lack of experience on how to pilot a Spyder. It will take you some miles, no one can say how many as it's an individual learning experience and there are some folks who never adapt, but it does take time and miles in the saddle. You really need to test ride extensively.

Spyders are sold with with J-type automobile tire rims but BRP does NOT equip them with small car tires; they are motorcycle tires because the ambulance chasers won't let them sell them with automobile tires. BRP deals with a company that produces a low volume of niche tires, and because of the lack of economies of scale the tires are of marginal quality, most often called Crapendas. Some owners find them satisfactory but many, myself included, find them junk. Because of the size of the rims, although they are automobile rims, there are a limited number of automobile tire manufacturers that make tires in the sizes Spyders use; however, there are some very good ones available in the proper sizes. If one uses OEM tires, particularly the rear, one should expect that tire to wear out in well less than 10K miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, definitely shop that price. I bought a 2019 brand new in 2019. This had zero miles on it, but was to be the store demo model. Found a 2nd dealer who had the same model listed for less and they matched the price. Paid $25,600. So, they have room in both of those.
2 things I would check on besides the tires. 1. That it has the belt tensioner installed. 2. The alignment on mine was off, felt like it had toe-in and made them laser align it, huge difference.
Got it. Thanks!! Good information and much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If this is your first Spyder and you are coming from extensive experience on two wheels and you have not yet extensively test ridden any Spyders IMO, you have the cart well before the horse. If you have the experience I've outlined above you very first reaction to the Spyder may very well be, "Holy s**t! this is the squirrelliest piece of crap I've ever thrown a leg over." It won't be your fault, just your total lack of experience on how to pilot a Spyder. It will take you some miles, no one can say how many as it's an individual learning experience and there are some folks who never adapt, but it does take time and miles in the saddle. You really need to test ride extensively.

Spyders are sold with with J-type automobile tire rims but BRP does NOT equip them with small car tires; they are motorcycle tires because the ambulance chasers won't let them sell them with automobile tires. BRP deals with a company that produces a low volume of niche tires, and because of the lack of economies of scale the tires are of marginal quality, most often called Crapendas. Some owners find them satisfactory but many, myself included, find them junk. Because of the size of the rims, although they are automobile rims, there are a limited number of automobile tire manufacturers that make tires in the sizes Spyders use; however, there are some very good ones available in the proper sizes. If one uses OEM tires, particularly the rear, one should expect that tire to wear out in well less than 10K miles.
Newbie yes. Driven Spyders yes. Not being an owner of a motorcycle or a Can Am, I am learning about the "stock" tires that are being sold with them. Certainly appreciate your advise. Your opinion on the tires seems to be shared by many that I have spoke with. Thanks for taking the time to write. Appreciate your guidance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts