Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha XJ700X which I would like to pull to bike shows with my '09 SM5. The bike weighs about 500#.

I am considering a Bushtec hitch as it appears to be a stronger design than a swingarm mount....and understand they recommend a max. load of 350# on the hitch and a max tongue weight of 50#. Tongue weight is no problem but overall weight is, figuring a real lightweight trailer will still go 150# - 200# I'm really pushing Bushtec's rec.

Is there a better way to accomplish this or is it not feasible at all?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's 2 ways to look at this one: BRP's official line, and whatyou think is possible...
According to BRP, the RT model can tow a total of 400 pounds and they never suggested towing with a GS or RS.
But IF you can come up with a light-enough trailer... How close to the edge do you like to put your tiptoes?
That's the real question Bob! I don't mind crowding the envelope a little, but.....double the suggested limit???? Would they build that much of a margin in?

Guess I was kinda hoping somebody might come on and say "Hell yeah, I tow the groomers up Windham Mt. with my GS all the time!"

Not likely....eh? :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
I like the idea of the swing arm hitch, in fact I bought the Can Am hitch for my Spyder. I have not towed anything with it yet, but I am happy with the mounting and strength. I can stand on it which would be over 250 pounds of tongue weight!

Reason that I like the swing arm hitch is that no weight from the trailer is put on the rear suspension of the Spyder, it all goes directly to the read wheel without affecting the rear suspension. IMHO, it will be much more neutral to the bikes handling than a hitch that will put weight on the rear suspension.

I think that the limiting factors for trailers are aerodynamic drag and weight. By specifying a light weight, the trailer will most likely be small with reduced drag.

I think that at long as you don't lug the engine and allow more braking distance, you can probably tow more than Can Am recommends. I don't know how much more. Watch for the clutch slipping and engine temperature running hot. When climbing hills, keep the RPMs up to maintain power.

With the SE5 transmission in towing mode, it will not up shift until 5,000RPM and down shifts to maintain the engine above 5,000RPM.

If you do tow more than 500 pounds, please share your experience with the forum. I for one would be interested in hearing about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's encouraging, thanks Dave. Does BRP specify a max towing capacity with their hitch?

I'm not too worried about the Spyder having the gumph to pull the bike & trailer, there's lots of gears to mess with for that....if I can stay somewhere near the hitch max capability I will probly do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least 40% over the max with a Spyder (GS) that isn't even recommended for towing....over the Berkshire Mountains? Think I'd better back away from this idea, it's a bad one!

Stick with the GMC and Carry-All trailer, as mundane as it is! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hadn't thought of that Bob but it's a terrific idea!:D

Actually, I'm going to have to scrap the whole plan....the bike and trailer will be roughly double the max capacity of the hitch....towed by a Spyder that isn't even recommended for towing! :(

My 'Spyder senses' are telling me to stick with my GMC, any deviation would be a certain recipe for disaster! :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A tad bit late with this, but, I'm wondering what about the teardrop
trailers ?? Can't seem to find the weight info, but, shoot they can't
be that heavy ??? Seen some of the 3 wheel Hogs pulling them !!!

ted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trailer Weight

Not sure if this will help you or not. I just made a 1400 mile round trip to south Florida. Most of the way I was in 98 to 105 temps. I have a 2011 RT LTD with a Can Am hitch and trailer. In the trailer I had an 24 quart Ice Chest, tools, cloths and an Inverter welding machine that weighs over 100 pounds. I loaded the trailer very carefully to distribute the weight and had over 250 pounds in the trailer plus had all of the Can Am bags full of work clothes and a 24 quart ice chest from a company called Cool Shirt that was keeping me cool the entire trip. I would have to say that I was way over the weight that BRP recommends. I never had a problem and the temp gauge on the bike never got over the center line. I was on both back roads at slow speed and on the freeway running up to 80 mph.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts