Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where one can buy the proper tools to take off or tighten the side panels

I got one on each side that seems loose and I have no tools that will work, the screws are thos kind with "tit" in the middle so you need to have a proper driver to remove them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Paladin,
I had mine apart last week-end to do the break=in service and found that those 2 'Lock-out' Torx screws on each side do not need to be removed. They only hold 'push-in' pins that plug into rubber grommets. Again, Do NOT removed the lock-out Torx screws! Take the other panel screws out as described in the owners manual and just pull outward on the panel and the pins (two on each side) should just pull out of the rubber grommets. Also, FYI Sears and NAPA auto stores both sell the lock-out Torx bits.

Mark

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very kewl.. thx

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
The correct torx bit is a T30 for basically all of the panels, under fender etc... except the ones that have that little handle on them. I use the bit on a T handle ratchet and it works great. You can also order a T30 bit that fits a 1/4" or 3/8" socket. I got the 1/4" so it wouldn't be so bulky

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are the big main panels

the pointy? things were lose on the funny screws, but I figured out how to tighten them up just a bit using a small screwdriver

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have had all the panels off my Spyder multiple times for various things I have done/added and I found the T30 torx bit is the most valuable tool I have for working on my Spyder.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I got to thinking how many times I have had the panels off. The first was to put the BRP back rest assembly on. That is when I discovered that these are not allen screws but rather torx bolts/whatever. The second was to put the ISCI hand brake on. The third was the front sway bar which you wouldn't think would involve side panels but in the end did as well as the Frunk. The forth was the Isci floor boards, the fifth was putting on the BRP comfort seat. The sixth was to look for something that the instructions told me how to keep from losing something into the machine that I did not pay attention to. There was also having to take most of the side pieces off as well as the fender liner to tighten up a bolt that came lose on the BRP back rest assembly. Also took misc panels off looking for the zip ties to get extra slack for the handle bar risers

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sheesh do you have any time to actually ride?

hehe

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was at Jacksonville Powersports for a recall on a manifold issue and the mechanic said he replaced the side panel fasteners because they were known to be too loose from the factory.

Service like anything is all about experience. The guys in J-ville are the best!

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a little to far for me to go unless we want a real loooong road trip

hehe

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL !!!

sure it's not OCD?