Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, My school has a 2008 Spyder that was turned into a "Save The TATAs" project in support of breast cancer awareness. All the plastics were removed and painted. Engine parts were removed and painted. The swing arm was painted. I believe all the electronics were unplugged and left unplugged for a period of time. Even the gauge cluster was tore apart to have a ring painted in it..

Aftermarket Two brothers exhaust was added.
Aftermarket HID lights added.
The mirrors were removed
The charcoal canister was removed

The Spyder ran before it was all disassembled, Now no go. NO ONE here knows anything about these. We are told the only thing we can do is get the B.U.D.S system to fix it.. Everything turns on, just wont crank.. The sensors have all been tested and work.. They just don't work when they are supposed to together (bad ECM?). Can anyone help us aspiring techs?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, see the problem is the students that took it all apart have already graduated and left a mess with us (boxes of screws, tabs, and bolts). It's been a big puzzle. we have double and triple checked everything in the electrics (yes, something could have been missed). I do know that the front signal lights are not plugged in. The mirrors had signal lights in them, which are not plugged in because the mirrors were left off. The charcoal canister has been removed, which some idiot threw away, so thats not plugged up... it has aftermarket HID LIGHTS, that i am being told can't be set up until the bike is running.
I know that some bikes won't even start if the headlights are unplugged or not working correctly because of a safety switch... but like i said previously we don't know enough about the spyder to diagnose the problem. We have gone through the manual repeatedly with no help..
The only thing it is good for is a show piece for the lobby of school right now.. we want to make it more...

I know that the system on this bike is unlike any other, but is close to ducati and bmw systems.. Can anyone tell me if the charcoal canister being removed or the replacement headlights could cause the machine not to want to start for saftey or emissions reasons?

·
Registered
504 Posts
When you turn the key on are you hitting the mode button to clear the initial message that has to be canceled before you can start the bike. Also is the bike in neutral? If not the brake needs to be pressed before it can start. Also the kill switch has to be in the right position before it will start.

Last I would recomend calling the Can Am dealers in your area and explain what you are about and your sitituation. I know my dealer up here in Idaho would be glad to help you and your worthy cause so there must be one in your area that would be glad to help iron out the bugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should try getting in touch with BRP head office. Perhaps someone in Public Relations. Helping you out would be a good PR article for them. They might even have some engineering staff down at their Florida testing grounds but don't quote me on that. At a minimum they should be able to supply you with a vehicle wiring diagram.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
There was a number posted on this forum somewhere... I ran across it awhile back and wrote it down for future reference. Try calling: (715) 842-8886. That's BRP in Wausau, WI.

Let us know what you find out when you get it diagnosed and fixed up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the responses. We have tried pushing the mode button, holding in the brake. We thought maybe the starter switch was broken so we tried bypassing it to check. We got it to crank, but the fuel pump wasn't working after that. We just got the B.U.D.S system in on Friday and started setting it up, so we will see what happens Tuesday.
Thank you for the information on calling BRP. I will pass that on to my teacher. Do to it being a school project it has to go through all kinds of red tape and channels before it gets approved.. So, by time things get approved I will probably have graduated already... But again thank you for your time and help

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Pass this forum along to your teacher, as well... we'd love to hear what happens and how it gets fixed!!

Congratulations on your graduation!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts