1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiGuys
i have just taken delivery of my 2010 RT
does the v twin lack power below 5000 rpm or is it just me
I have a 2010 R1 so maybe the power is just diferent to the 4 cylinder power i am used to
Stu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arm chair it may be but can be a quick one once tou get used to it so i have found out :D:D:D

Stu

·
Registered
2 Posts
power

HI- I bought my RT last year and didn't ride much--- I was out a lot this weekend and just realized that the bike doesn't like to be shifted till above 5000 at least - for me that means that on the highway i am riding in 4th till i am above 65-- this is the first bike i remember doing that in--- but i do tend to shift before the RPMs get high---

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah so its not only me
i am getting used to it now doesn't seem so bad as first thought
Just have to adjust riding style
not an R1 after all

Stu

·
Registered
65 Posts
What torque down low? Good Lord below 5,000 a rubber band would make more torque. Never get above 4,500 no wonder you guys get 30 MPG! The thing is barely turning over! The magic number seems to be 5,000 RPM! Below that you get 30 MPG and have no umph at all to do anything of interest?

I have finally gotten 28 mpg for two tanks in a row but that has been the best I have ever gotten in over a year and 6,500 miles. The speed limit on the interstate is 70 mph around here and there are loads of hills to climb and navigate. Matter of fact I can truthfully say that after living in WV for a couple of years now The Immortal Dragon was not that impressive last year to me. It was fun to go with a group but once some terd gets in front of you going 20 mph and refuses to pull over the trip is a slow boring waste.

I bought this thing to keep my old blood flowing at a higher rate than it should and unless you are turning the engine over 5,000 there just isn't anything there of interest. The previously owned 2008 RS had less weight and mass than the RT and it would fly with the right driver and set-up. I was just sure I was going to kill myself trying to find it so I traded it for a 2010 RT-S which is a cruiser with no bottom end for putting atound the hills of WV. So you either turn the RPMs up and sacrifice MPG or drive like a little old lady and tell everyone what great MPG you get on the flat with the wind behind you going downhill, if you have any hills.

Sorry Bob it has no appreciable torque at low RPM, Period. It has 1200 pounds to push, the aerodynamics of a barn door, 3 wheels worth of rolling resistance, and a front suspension that is more than likely scrubbing a great deal of power away too so what do you really expect from a detuned 20 year old designed engine anyway? It is what it is and you either like it or put up with it or move on I guess. Bill

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gee you dont have to ride it that slow
just get out and ride it if fuel consumption is that big of a deal ride a push bike they are great on fuel

Stu

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you riding an RS/GS, or an RT? There's a big difference in the powerbands between the 990 & 991 engines...
Bob this is my second Spyder. I had a 2008 RS which I rode from WV to Oregon in 9 days, 3417 miles with one layover in Cheyanne for service. I now have a 2010 RT almost identical to yours with none of the add-ons you chose to put on yourself.

I am pretty sure I know first hand what the differences are between the two engines I logged almost 20,000 miles on. Compared to the RS the RT has no bottom end. I am a little old at 67 but I ain't dead yet. I drove many different types of race cars in open competition for many years and I still enjoy a spirited ride down the road at times.

Although I don't spend as much time on the net as you do judging by the number of posts you have here versus my few I feel well qualified to comment on the two different engines and their torque outputs having owned both and driven them for many miles.

I am a disabled vet and am proud to have served my time but it left me with bad legs and I find myself unable to hold a 2 wheeled bike of any size up anymore when I stop for traffic or a light. The 3 wheels of the trike was my only answer at this age and physical condition. I looked real close at Harleys with three wheels for much more money and of limited availablility at the time I bought the first Spyder. So I took a gamble and bought my first Spyder 4 years ago. I have had good days and bad days with the spyder and found it at times to be very expensive and difficult to maintain the way they say it should be. They, BuRP let the ball down in many areas and I made more than a few mistakes too. It has made owning and riding the Sputter, whoops Spyder a challenge at times but I still keep my sense of humor and ride on so there must be something there I enjoy I guess. Either that or I still like a challenge I guess.

I would love to have an R1 or any other type of reliable crotch rocket but I just can't handle that any more I guess? I ran a Rotax engined Sports Racer many years ago that got up to 143 MPH down the main straight weighed about 1500 pounds with driver and still got 35 MPG with long since surpassed technology of the day. You mean to tell me they can't do better today if they want to spend the money to do it? I find that very hard to believe with the other things they can do today. Corporate rhetoric aside show me an improvement of the basic beast in an oil starved society and I will become a believer. Thus far I am just an involved watcher of where BuRP is going and what they feel is their responsibility to improve.

I ride for the freedom of getting out on the road in something better than other have to ride and the enjoyment of being able to control it with a reasonable assurance that it is reliable and predictable. I don't think being good on gas and doing other things it is expected to do is too much to ask in this day and age. Bill

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
:D I'm glad to hear that you're still out there giving it your all! :cool: Bad wickets is what put me on a trike also.
I'm not a design engineer, but I'd imagine that the frontal area of the Spyder is what hurts the fuel economy the most... A conventional trike isn't pushing that big old "Barn Door" out front, so they kind of "slice" on through until the airflow has been pushed aside for the rear wheels...
Everybody has their own measuring stick as far as necessary amounts of horsepower and torque... I'm a low-performance kind of guy and have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone about my riding skills... or lack thereof! :D
If 100 horses just don't do it; take a peek at the GG Taurus as an option... major BMW power! :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not a design engineer either but if the results of what BuRP has come up with are all they could do they ought to be ashamed. I know it is the way of industry today but to take and subcontract the design of the front end, the key to handling, is beyond defense in my eyes!

No Thanks on the Taurus, I quake to think what that would cost? I am soon heading into a long term dream project which I may live to finish and then may not. who know? Only the force upstairs! I am going to take a Dirt Late Model and rebuild it for the street and license it and drive it on the street. Don't say no MPG there because I am still messing with a power plant that may be in it and blow your mind in economy. That is all I am going to say because I am heavy into dickering with the supplier and trying to convince him I am not totally insane.

This has been done before but with conventional V-8 power and I know for sure that would kill me real quick. I have been collecting set up facts and stuff for about 10 years now and I have a pretty good idea of what I want and need. So when I drop off the earth and sell the Spyder you know why! Bill

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
It's funny that you mention BRP "subbing out" the front end design... My son & I were gassing up the Spyder after a ryde and this older gentleman; (maybe in his late sixties/early seventies) walked over to us with a big smile on his face and asked us how we liked the Spyder. It turned out that he was on the team that worked out the front end! BRP went to them because they couldn't come up with a design that was workable... We had an excellent time discussing the bike with him and it made for a real nice day! :cool:

You're gonna have to post some pics of your project... I'm curious!! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 19 of 19 Posts