Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !

Firstly i just wanted to say what a great forum this appears to be. I have been reading articles to get as much information as i can on the Can-Am models and everyone seems really enthusiastic and helpful.

I am close to making a decision on purchasing a new Can-Am. I went to my local dealers to take a look at a new RS-S, unfortunately they only had RT models on display. Nonetheless i really liked the RT-S and it ticked a few extra boxes in terms of being practical, hopefully comfortable enough to encourage my wife to come out with me and safe enough for my teenage kids to be able to jump on the back. I had a brief test drive, but after about 5 miles i get a limp home warning mode pop up, so not much of a chance to really explore it's capabilities.

I don't have any other dealers within 100+ miles of me, so was interested in feedback on the real differences between the RS-S and the RTS. I am aware of the "brochure differences", but out on the road, do they feel and drive very differently ? Is the RS much quicker than the RT and would you really notice it when overtaking other vehicles for example ( i'm not too bothered about 0-60).

I'm advised the riding position is quite different on the RS, with more of a traditional biker stance. I've never ridden a bike, and the Can-Am is as close as i plan to come to one, but i am keen to know if it is practical for longer drives or designed more for shorter blasts on country roads.

Anyway, while i'm really taken with the RTS, i really appreciate some feedback and advice from other owners before i dismiss the RS-S as being too "young" for me....i do want a bit of ooomph to bring a smile to the face....or from RT owners on anything i should know that's not in the glossy brochure.

thanks in advance

Al.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm advised the riding position is quite different on the RS, with more of a traditional biker stance.
Never ridden an RS but the word "traditional" maybe appropriate if you are comparing the riding postion to that of a sportier bike. Little more hunched over, foot pegs behind the knee..... I would say the RT position is more "traditional" when compared to that of a touring bike? Footpegs in line with the knee, more upright riding position, handlebars come to you rather than you reaching for them.

Your right though the RT is for sure more wife and kid friendly as I felt like the passenger on an RS was sitting on the bike, on an RT the passenger is sitting in it? The wifee wanted in it not on it! Of course it is all about what you want out of your ride experience?

Hope that makes some sense and are just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RS-S vs. RT

Hey, I'm a new Spyder owner myself, but I've been riding motorcycles for over
30 years, so here 's my impressions. The RS (which I just bought) or the RS-S both do have a sportier seating position and handle a bit sportier than the RT (ride comparison is based on just 2 test rides on RT though so take that with a grain of salt), however the seating is still MUCH more comfortable than on a traditional sport motorcycle. I am 54 and have a fusion on my cervical spine, but ride my RS comfortably (I did add the touring windshield). For passengers I would HIGHLY recommend the passenger backrest, it's pricey but worth it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome, Al!

I've not ridden the RT, but do own an RS. Depending on how strong your wrist gets into the accelerator, you can get 32 mpg or 25 mpg. I get 30 on a regular basis. The RS is more for shorter rides, I would think, since the RT is geared toward a more comfortable ride. I prefer the RS, though I've not taken an RT for a spin nor considered one seriously (price tag keeps me away from that).

There are a couple of discussions regarding the differences in speed, etc., between the two models; hopefully someone will be along soon that can give you some personal insight into that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts