Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Over the past few weeks, I've been looking at the Spyder. But I have several questions that searching did not seem to answer (granted I didn't read through everything, so I apologized if any of these have been answered and I missed it).

First a little background (and I'm wordy, so apologies) - I have ridden a snowmobile since Jan 2007 (started with a new 2005 Sabrecat 600, upgraded to a 2010 Yamaha Vector LTX in Dec 2009), and am a pretty good rider - I never ride over my head. And I've been a passenger on a motorcycle for the past 2 summers (first my boyfriend's 2001 Yamaha Vmax - crazy uncomfortable ride for both of us, so he traded that in last july and got a new 2008 Suzuki B-King - oddly enough, much more comfortable). However, I have never actually driven a motorcycle nor an ATV....and I can't drive a manual car (my dad tried to teach me when I was 16...I was fine once I was moving, but I stalled it repeatedly when starting/stopping, so we gave up, and I haven't tried again in the nearly 20 years since). We have a group of friends that we ride with in the summer, and saw them a few weekends ago at a party and starting discussing our first ride of the season. On the way home, I asked my boyfriend if he thought I could learn to ride...something. If there was something that handled like a snowmobile, I know I would be fine....but actually shifting? with a clutch? I don't think I could do it. A google search brought us to the spyder.

So my questions:

1 - does it handle like a snowmobile?

2 - how does the "automatic" transmission work? I'm guessing it is not as easy as the slipper clutch in the sled that is literally "hold the throttle and it does what it needs by itself"....but how does it work? could someone like me - who can't even drive a manual car - drive an automatic spyder?

3 - this would be something that, if I were to get it, would be ridden by me solo...with maybe a short ride to say dinner or the movies riding double. I would be using it as a commuting vehicle for work (about 12-15 miles each way, depending on if I take the highway or not), as well as for long day/weekend rides with my boyfriend (either just us, or with friends). Are the extra "bells and whistles" on the touring version necessary? Or is the RS model fine with maybe a few accessories/upgrades? I would never listen to music while riding, so a stereo is pointless, and I'm not sure that we would ever ride when it was cold enough to require handgrip heaters (if it's cold enough for that, it's snowing and we'll be on the sleds - our motorcycle season is usually April - late Oct/early Nov, depending on weather...but once the salt trucks are out, my boyfriend puts his bike into storage).

4 - IF I get anything, it probably won't be for at least a year, probably two, since I still have another year of payments on my sled, and we're going to be needing to replace one of our vehicles in the next 18-24 months....but are there backstock models that dealers typically have available at discounted pricing? I know when I got my sabrecat, it was two years old, but brand new with zero miles, so I got the full factory warranty, but it was discounted 40%. My boyfriend's nytro, he got right before the new model year came out, so he got like $3k off the sticker price. my vector I pre-ordered, so that was full price :) My boyfriends B-King was a brand new backstock, and because they had discontinued that model in the US, it was like 50% off. Do those kinds of deals exist out there? The one dealer near us has 2011's on their website, but they're only about $500-1000 less than a 2012.

5 - I know they come with a 2 year warranty, but are extended warranties ever included? if not, how much do they run? do they ever have special financing/cash back offers?

6 - Anyone in NY...roughly how much does insurance run on them? My boyfriend's insurance is about $750 a year on the Bking because it is considered a sport bike, but the Vmax was only $200 a year (even though the vmax actually has more power). I know registration is $17.50 a year. :)

Thanks for helping. :)
-Christina

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1 - does it handle like a snowmobile?

2 - how does the "automatic" transmission work? I'm guessing it is not as easy as the slipper clutch in the sled that is literally "hold the throttle and it does what it needs by itself"....but how does it work? could someone like me - who can't even drive a manual car - drive an automatic spyder?

3 - this would be something that, if I were to get it, would be ridden by me solo...with maybe a short ride to say dinner or the movies riding double. I would be using it as a commuting vehicle for work (about 12-15 miles each way, depending on if I take the highway or not), as well as for long day/weekend rides with my boyfriend (either just us, or with friends). Are the extra "bells and whistles" on the touring version necessary? Or is the RS model fine with maybe a few accessories/upgrades? I would never listen to music while riding, so a stereo is pointless, and I'm not sure that we would ever ride when it was cold enough to require handgrip heaters (if it's cold enough for that, it's snowing and we'll be on the sleds - our motorcycle season is usually April - late Oct/early Nov, depending on weather...but once the salt trucks are out, my boyfriend puts his bike into storage).

4 - IF I get anything, it probably won't be for at least a year, probably two, since I still have another year of payments on my sled, and we're going to be needing to replace one of our vehicles in the next 18-24 months....but are there backstock models that dealers typically have available at discounted pricing? I know when I got my sabrecat, it was two years old, but brand new with zero miles, so I got the full factory warranty, but it was discounted 40%. My boyfriend's nytro, he got right before the new model year came out, so he got like $3k off the sticker price. my vector I pre-ordered, so that was full price :) My boyfriends B-King was a brand new backstock, and because they had discontinued that model in the US, it was like 50% off. Do those kinds of deals exist out there? The one dealer near us has 2011's on their website, but they're only about $500-1000 less than a 2012.

5 - I know they come with a 2 year warranty, but are extended warranties ever included? if not, how much do they run? do they ever have special financing/cash back offers?

6 - Anyone in NY...roughly how much does insurance run on them? My boyfriend's insurance is about $750 a year on the Bking because it is considered a sport bike, but the Vmax was only $200 a year (even though the vmax actually has more power). I know registration is $17.50 a year. :)
Welcome, Christina!!

First off, not being able to learn to drive a standard 20 years ago doesn't mean you can't learn to drive one now. I had trouble with the same issue that long ago, and have had much more success in the last few years with mastering the technique. Having said that, if you prefer (or feel more comfortable) with automatic, then that's the way to go with these.

In answering what I can of your questions:

1. I hear that these handle like snowmobiles; I've not ridden one myself, so can't confirm nor deny.

2. See answer #1

3. Mine is an RS and I'm more than happy with it, riding solo, without all the bells and whistles. Depending on your preference for riding style, if you have any health issues that preclude you from leaning a bit forward while riding, or if you require a more upright seated position, I would suggest sitting on both models and seeing which one is better for you personally. I ride mine to and from work (weather permitting) as well as longer trips with my husband (he rides his own motorcycle) and enjoy both rides.

4. As far as discounts on end-of-season or older models, good luck. I've not seen any on brand new machines. However, used models can be found on Craigslist.org or CycleTrader.com on occasion (that's where I found mine) and can be had for less.

5. Like any vehicle, the extended warranty can be a blessing or a curse. Mine had one on it, purchased by the original owner, so no idea of the cost.

6. Oklahoma here, can't help with NY prices, though I presume the choice of insurance company affects the price by quite a bit, if they're anything like down here.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just a few of my observations:
- I have only ridden a snowmobile once 7 years ago. But the Spyders do ride very much like a 4 wheeled ATV, only crisper handling.
- I have the RT Ltd with all the bells and whistles. My wife liked the white one which was only available as the Ltd model, LOL. The cruise control is really nice on long rides, the iPod integration is really nice for music, the heated handgrips are nice when I'm too lazy to put on warmer gloves, and the SE5 (semi-automatic) transmission makes riding very easy.
- The RT can be a handful to ride in highway traffic or a cross wind, very twitchy. Switching out the windshield to the smaller touring windshield made a big difference in the handling. Also, I ride slower on a Spyder than I did on a 2 wheeled motorcycle. Just seems safer.
- The overall riding position on the RT is more upright than the RS/GS models.
- On the RT you can fit loads of junk in all of the storage, but remember that the RS still has the "frunk" which is quite a bit of storage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts