Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possibly buying an 08 spyder from a local bike dealer that has scorpion exhaust and only 3000 miles.

I turned it on and felt like the exhaust was a bit loud but other than that I noticed the rear tire was bald in the center (with only 3000 miles??? is that normal). Also the ABS light was on...the bike was a lil rough in my opinion but the dealer did just get it in on trade and had to clean it and whatnot. They told me they would replace the rear tire and fix all the lights.

What should I be looking for? They are gonna sell it for 10K...is that a fair price?

here is a link, it does not have pics or much info yet (does have VIN though).

2008 CAN AM SPYDER West Chicago, Illinois | Chicago Motor Cars

Thanks! and i look forward in joining this community soon hopefully...

· Registered
504 Posts
For what it's worth I looked on EBAY and the cheapest one I saw was up to 8,300.00 and the bidding was still going on. Most were higher than the 10,000.00. I guess I would be looking at if the proper maintenance had been done and the DPS was done yet (thats a recall issue that you would not be responsible for). I would also be interested if there was any other after market stuff that had been put on. In my spyder's case I have spent a bundle on after market. Do you know if they are an authorized BRP shop? I would want the rear tire change/maintenence done at an authorized dealer.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it's worth I looked on EBAY and the cheapest one I saw was up to 8,300.00 and the bidding was still going on. Most were higher than the 10,000.00. I guess I would be looking at if the proper maintenance had been done and the DPS was done yet (thats a recall issue that you would not be responsible for). I would also be interested if there was any other after market stuff that had been put on. In my spyder's case I have spent a bundle on after market. Do you know if they are an authorized BRP shop? I would want the rear tire change/maintenence done at an authorized dealer.
why rear tire at the dealer? is there special tools reqd?

· Registered
20 Posts
That bald tire looks suspicious. I have a 08 with 6,000 miles and my tires look like new. That should be a tip about how that spidey was treated. Also the ABS on? Maybe the previous owner raced her on Pinks all Out...

· Registered
377 Posts
Possibly buying an 08 spyder from a local bike dealer that has scorpion exhaust and only 3000 miles.

I turned it on and felt like the exhaust was a bit loud but other than that I noticed the rear tire was bald in the center (with only 3000 miles??? is that normal). Also the ABS light was on...the bike was a lil rough in my opinion but the dealer did just get it in on trade and had to clean it and whatnot. They told me they would replace the rear tire and fix all the lights.

What should I be looking for? They are gonna sell it for 10K...is that a fair price?

here is a link, it does not have pics or much info yet (does have VIN though).

2008 CAN AM SPYDER West Chicago, Illinois | Chicago Motor Cars

Thanks! and i look forward in joining this community soon hopefully...
Go on Cycle Trader.com and look around. There are literally thousands of motorcycles there and a lot of Spyders. About 3/4's are posts from dealers and the rest are private individuals. Both new and used are listed. That's where I found mine and am very pleased with the deal. Bought it from a dealer in Findlay, OH. It's an 09 RS with lots of extras and had 4000 miles on it, one owner. I have put 2000 more on it and it has been completely trouble free. The Spyder you are talking about may be a good deal but I see red flags. David

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well gang I bit the bullet and decided to get an all black MINT 09. Only has 800 miles...not sure what model it is but here are some pics...pick her up tomorrow!

Was 14K too much? How long of a warranty do they come with?

Thanks...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Vehicle brake

· Registered
7 Posts
Congrats......i agree, you made a very good choice....i just traded my 09 spyder with 959 miles on it and got 13,000.00 for it. Bought a 2011 RT-S SE5. im going to assume the dealer will put my 09 out for sale with an asking price of 14,500-14,999...The other bike you where looking at....the tire and ABS was a good sign to RUN!!! RUN away as fast as you can!!!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks gang...upon further inspection of that 08 I noticed the PO had cut holes in the fairing for speakers!!!! Screw that!

I called the local can am dealer and the 09 has nearly all it's warranty left! It does have 2 outstanding recalls however for something in the suspension and PCM (computer I assume.

· Registered
303 Posts
That bald tire looks suspicious. I have a 08 with 6,000 miles and my tires look like new. That should be a tip about how that spidey was treated. Also the ABS on? Maybe the previous owner raced her on Pinks all Out...
I agree! It looks like the owner did a lot of burnouts and rode hard. Abused and then dumped. I would be worried about other damage or premature wear on other parts.

· Premium Member
3,861 Posts
So who's happier: you, or the kids? :)
The steering shouls come to you pretty quick; think of it as just another snowmobile or ATV and it'll fall into place! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.