Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a can of Plexus cleaner for Christmas this morning. This stuff really works well.

Only thing I can say bad about it is that it's got a big time chemical smell. No more garage wipe downs for me with this stuff. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Plexus

I've been using Plexus for years... on my helmets, visors and wind screens... now on the whole spyder... works great!:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ever try it on a reflective helmet shield? I've heard these are sensitive to cleaning agents. Don't want to wipe by blue mirrory finish off.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have never heard of it. Where is it available? I have been wondering what to use on my windshield and helmet visor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Plexus

can be found at Cycle Gear... go to cyclegear.com and find the closest one to you... they also have a ton of other motorcycle gear, that's all they do...
Glenn;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Old thread

Well, I'm new to the forum, so just now seeing a lot of this. In the Plexus line, we use Lemon Pledge or the generic on all bikes from the scooters to the Wing. Lots cheaper, no chemical smell, and the bees love it. On second thought, this could be just as much fun as a oil thread. Seriously though, we do get pleasing results as we dust. Windshields and all. Since cloth diapers (no polyester threads) are virtually extinct, we found that a quality microfiber cloth works best.

Shine on, Patrick

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vegas bees love Plexus too. And the smell of Plexus is likely deadly (laughs). Wiping off the Spyder with Plexus is definitely an outside job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I interchange Plexus and "Honda Polish". Love the stuff on anything plastic or plastic like.

Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish was known as Honda Polish. I haven't seen any real difference in the usability between Plexus and the "Honda Polish", but the Honda Polish DEFINITELY smells better.

The trick is, now you have to look for Original Bike Spirits because the Honda Polish branded cans are going for massively expensive amounts of money because people think Honda Polish was discontinued instead of just being offered under a different brand name. Honda never made the original stuff, it was sourced from another company and when Honda and that company (Amrep) got into a dispute Amrep rebranded their polish and went their own way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just cleaned my Spyder front to back and my helmets with Lemon Pledge, and it works great, gives a super shiny finish too.
The Plexis cleaner may be good too, but, I for one, will stick to the Lemon Pledge, or generic, when I find it.
Thanks, Three Not 8 for the heads up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh, I forgot, on the funny side, while I was cleaning the Spyder a little honey bee flew into my garage to check things out. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plexis !!!

Bought a new full face Icon helmet. Called Icon asked what to clean it with ? Rep says warm water on soft cloth lay on helmet and visor to soften bug guts and wipe off, also said do not use plexis as have found that it turns their visor yellow eventually so becareful using this stuff. Rep also said plexis is for plexiglass not for lexan :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lemon Pledge ?

I have been using Plexus for years with great results. I have been hearing a lot lately about Lemon Pledge for cleaning everything. I remember in the old days, most furniture polishes left an oily/waxy buildup over time. Is this not the case with Lemon Pledge anymore ?

BTW, I have found that the XPS product sold through Can Am known as Spray Cleaner and Polish works very well on the paint. I haven't tried it on the plastics, but it leaves a better shine than Plexus and seems to last longer.

Pig Spit is also a very good product for the black plastic parts, vinyl and sidewalls. Just don't apply it to tread, pegs or seat. Doesn't need to be wiped off either. I used to use it to clean my Harleys black anodized parts such as between the engine fins. It cleans as it protects. (pigspit.com).. FWIW.

Vegas is brutal on paint and black parts !

I was reading the above post about bees to my 3 yr old and he came up with, "Hey dad, where do bees go to the bathroom ?" I asked where and he said "the BP station." Just made it up on the "fly"....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Response to: Plexis !!!

I mentioned earlier that I have been using it for years. I have not found any yellowing. I know the windshields are made of polycarbonate, not lexan. I thought most helmet visors are also made of poly due to the strength requirement. Lexan is not as strong as polycarbonates, I have been told, but I admit I am not an expert. I have used lexan in hobbies, etc. and it seems more brittle over time. Maybe I have been using iPlexus inside for too long..hah ! Would welcome more feedback.

You are very correct about being careful as to which product used as some take the protective and UV coating off over time. I have not heard this about Plexus though and I would not think that Pledge would affect it either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mishapman - response to your air force service

I saw a post where someone said you were semi-military by being in the Airforce. Well, I kinda took offense at that as I am an AF brat whose father has bailed out at 60K+ at Mach 1.5, spent 4 days crawling on his hands and knees in the Mojave desert due to 2 severely broken ankles before coming upon a ranchouse and rescued. Then was also shot down in Vietnam rescuing a PT boat Special Ops detail 150 miles up North as a volunteer Forward Air Controller - volunteered because his squadron had not been called to duty and he wanted in. He took the bullets so the boat could continue its mission.

I respect all members who serve our country in all branches of the military, especially the Coast Guard which never gets credit.

I loved your response to him about taking the test and scoring too high for the A.R.M.Y. I thought A.R.M.Y was an acronym for "Aint Ready for Marines Yet".

Just kidding ARMY folks. I just hate to see one branch of the service think or joke that they are better than the other. All deserve our highest respect and admiration for serving our great country. All Veterans are heros in my book. My Dad has two Silver Stars, three Bronze Stars, the Distinquished Flying Cross, the Air Medal and countless others for his service and is defintely my hero !

I could not remember where the post was, so I responded here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I saw a post where someone said you were semi-military by being in the Airforce. Well, I kinda took offense at that as I am an AF brat whose father has bailed out at 60K+ at Mach 1.5, spent 4 days crawling on his hands and knees in the Mojave desert due to 2 severely broken ankles before coming upon a ranchouse and rescued. Then was also shot down in Vietnam rescuing a PT boat Special Ops detail 150 miles up North as a volunteer Forward Air Controller - volunteered because his squadron had not been called to duty and he wanted in. He took the bullets so the boat could continue its mission.

I respect all members who serve our country in all branches of the military, especially the Coast Guard which never gets credit.

I loved your response to him about taking the test and scoring too high for the A.R.M.Y. I thought A.R.M.Y was an acronym for "Aint Ready for Marines Yet".

Just kidding ARMY folks. I just hate to see one branch of the service think or joke that they are better than the other. All deserve our highest respect and admiration for serving our great country. All Veterans are heros in my book. My Dad has two Silver Stars, three Bronze Stars, the Distinquished Flying Cross, the Air Medal and countless others for his service and is defintely my hero !

I could not remember where the post was, so I responded here.
If a service member doesn't think his or her branch of the service isn't the best of the best then they shouldn't be there at all. Just my 2 cents. David (Army All The Way)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Murlaw...no offense meant. I think all services rib each other. Deep down everyone respects everyone else.

Me, I've got 20 years in. Grew up from a skinny, kick ass A1C, to a fat Fokker, man nurse Major (laughs). All teasing aside. I love all my military brethren.

At Landstuhl I had the opportunity to care for a hard core Marine. Started bleeding bad from a IED blast on the ward in Germany after getting evaced out from Fallujah II. Had my hand in the raw meat of his calf waiting for a surgeon to free up from the OR. Didn't complain one bit. I hit the call bell to have another nurse bring me some morphine for him. He didn't want it. I talked him into it. He needed it, but sure as hell wouldn't ask me for it. Surgeon came and stitched the bleeder, no numbing medicine. Wrapped him back up and he was good to go. Later that shift, he and a buddy were calling a squadmate's parents who didn't fare as well. Tears rolling down their faces telling mom and dad their son was the toughest SOB they knew, and was fighting for his life in the ICU. To me, that made him tougher than toughing out my hand in his leg.

In the OR I took care of an Army guy with 90% of his body burnt. I thought I'd seen everything. I hadn't. I had tears streaming down my face as I scrubbed his body with Betadyne to get him ready for his debridement. When we were done, he was wrapped in gauze head to toe, with only his breathing tube sticking out. I wrote him off as dead. Three years later, while sitting in Staff College, I see in USA Today online that he just died. He fought a near 0% survival rate for three years and succumbed to a lung infection stateside. Had to excuse myself from class. I wrote him off. Talk about guilt. He died a hero in at least one person's heart.

I had the privilege of working the operating room on the USNS Comfort after the Haiti earthquake while waiting for our hospital tentage and gear to show up. Those Navy guys rocked and rolled in their ORs 24-7 for weeks with little rest trying to piece back together some portion of the shattered lives of the earthquake victims. Amazing. But just to show you the teasing goes all ways, after sleeping on the ground in Haiti on a tarp with mosquito net over me for 10 days, dirty as dirt and a meal for God knows how many insects, when I got aboard ship, the ops officer of the OR tells me, "You've got to have on the wrong uniform, I've never seen an Air Force person so dirty. Get your ASCII below decks and get a shower." "Aye-aye. GLADLY," I said.

And let's not forget those SEAL heroes that just avenged the deaths of those who perished on 9/11. Those guys should never have to buy another beer in their entire lives, provided they are ever authorized to say they were there.

I joke and kid about interservice rivalries, but please don't believe for a minute I have any kind of disrespect for any service member. Believe me when I tell you I've had the honor and privilege of taking care of and working with the most incredible people in the world in all services.

I'm sorry you felt my comments as somehow a slight to your father's heroics. They were never intended to belittle him, or anyone else in uniform for that matter.

...signing off from my comfortable Air Force billeting in an undisclosed location in SW Asia. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree mishapman

I did not take offense at all to your comments, it was the comment made toward you that got a little under my skin and I admit I am a little touchy on the subject. Being told twice your father is dead is not an easy thing to grow up with. Being a service brat is a hard thing also as families suffer too.

I mean absolutely no offense to anybody. But as the other gentleman said that if you don't believe that your branch is the best, then you shouldn't be there at all is exactly what I am talking about. It is idiocracy at its best to think that just because you are in the ARMY, then that has to be the best branch of the service or you shouldn't be there is pure ignorance.

You said it right mishapman, all service branches are made up of good people and deserve our respect and admiration. Those were some great things you said and did thus proving my point. I loved your comment back to the original guy that you high test score precluded your entry into his branch of the service. That was a great comeback for his ignorance.

I respect all of you and deeply appreciate your service to our country !!! I would serve in a minute if I could, but can't due to medical reasons.

What a great feat accomplished by our S.E.A.L.S. and C.I.A. yesterday ! That has to make all proud today !!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I did not take offense at all to your comments, it was the comment made toward you that got a little under my skin and I admit I am a little touchy on the subject. Being told twice your father is dead is not an easy thing to grow up with. Being a service brat is a hard thing also as families suffer too.

I mean absolutely no offense to anybody. But as the other gentleman said that if you don't believe that your branch is the best, then you shouldn't be there at all is exactly what I am talking about. It is idiocracy at its best to think that just because you are in the ARMY, then that has to be the best branch of the service or you shouldn't be there is pure ignorance.

You said it right mishapman, all service branches are made up of good people and deserve our respect and admiration. Those were some great things you said and did thus proving my point. I loved your comment back to the original guy that you high test score precluded your entry into his branch of the service. That was a great comeback for his ignorance.

I respect all of you and deeply appreciate your service to our country !!! I would serve in a minute if I could, but can't due to medical reasons.

What a great feat accomplished by our S.E.A.L.S. and C.I.A. yesterday ! That has to make all proud today !!
Murlaw: You don't get it do you? I am the one to whom you refer and if you took offense to my post then tough s***. I tried to explain it to you as nice as I could and so did Mishapman who did a wonderful job IMO. Even then you didn't get it. Get a life - better yet join the military, any branch, if you've got the balls. And no, an apology for this post will not be forthcoming. David - and I'm still Army All The Way

1 - 19 of 19 Posts