Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'll start by giving a little background about myself and my wife, since we're both looking at these things and liking everything we see, but can't believe everything we hear.

My wife and I are in our early 30's, and just started riding last summer. We both took the MSF course and loved it, then purchased a Ninja 250R to continue to learn on. I rode it for about 2 months, then purchased a Ducati 848 (yep, pretty stupid move, I know). My wife kept the Ninja for herself. We both love riding the bikes. However...

We never ride much. When my wife rides, it's to the store and back to pick up something small enough to fit into her backpack. When I ride, it's just to ride for a few minutes, as I just cannot stand riding that bike. It's fun, it's beautiful, and it's an incredible machine...but it's just uncomfortable as hell to me. I have to say though, I think my wife enjoys riding her bike more than I would even if I had a comfortable bike.

The reasons for that are simple. I guess I'm a bit of a worry-wart. It's not that I'm scared, because I really do trust the bike, and myself (however, I never push any limits), it's just that I know in my mind, that my eyes might have missed that patch of gravel in that curve, and I could go down, hurt the bike and/or hurt myself. I worry about the same thing for her.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm a speed junkie. I own a lamborghini gallardo and just can't keep it close to the speed limits. I love jumping jetskis, and other wild stuff. But for some reason, road bikes just make me a little nervous. And that's just on country roads. Highways are another story of "other vehicles".

Wow, this post is alot longer than I intended, and I apologize. I bet I sound like a total wuss lol. I'm not, I promise. I just try to be "aware".

Now onto the point. I'm of course ready for something new, different, and comfortable. She's ready to move up, as she feels she wants more power. I was looking around, and found the Spyders a couple of nights ago. I read as much as I could about them, and I have pretty much memorized all it's features and it's benefits.

It sounds like the "perfect bike" for us. Still giving that "bike" feeling of openness, but maintaining stability like a car. We want something that is comfortable enough that we can ride for hours without getting tired or sore. Something that we can enjoy together sometimes, and go on roadtrips. Don't misunderstand though, we have zero interest in any type of crusiers or touring bikes. Actually the 2-wheeled bikes we're looking at are the Ducati Monsters and the new Diavel.

I honestly love everything I've learned so far about the Spyders (we're looking at the RS-S models), but I have a serious worry....

I have a 4-wheeler to ride around our property. I've rode them many times before, and every one I've had the same experience with handling. They suck, plain and simple. If you're moving at any brisk speed, and want to turn, the vehicle feels like it wants to roll over. Turning the two front wheels with handlebars, even with power-steering just doesn't get much "steering feedback" and feels "numb". You basically have to come to a near stop to make a turn in grass. On a 4-wheeler, I don't mind this too much. It's an off-road vehicle, made to go where others aren't. It's just 1 con out of many of it's pros.

However, I worry to death that the Spyders handling characteristics are going to be similar. And going around a curve at 50+mph with a similar feeling to a 4-wheeler (about to roll over, and be thrown from the bike), scares the bejezus out of me. I want to believe these things turn similar to a car, perhaps even similar to my lambo. If it can even come close to it's handling characteristics, I'll be more than happy.

All of this would be settled if the dealership would let us test drive them. But that's impossible pretty much. Like all motorcycle dealers, they want to basically finish the sale and paperwork, along with insurance before they'll hand you the keys. Then you get TEN MILES to see if you like it or not. Maybe I could determine it by that time. I plan to try, but I figured I would consult you experts first.

So, if any of you are still with me in this entirely-too-long-post, please help convince me that these Spyders are right for us. Help me to believe they don't handle like a 4-wheeler. :)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've never ridden an ATV so I have no personal experience in that area. However I have been told that you ride a Spyder the same way you would an ATV. I have a Spyder RS and love it. It is very different from the 2 wheel motorcycles you have been riding - not good different, not bad different - just different. It will take you about 2 weeks of riding just about every day to get used to it but when you do you will fall in love with the Spyder. I like to think of it as an acquired taste. If you have researched the Spyder you know that it has ABS, VSS (stability control) and traction control. The computers for the most part keep the inside front wheel in a turn from lifting off the ground. I can attest to it that they do a good job. When turning hard the Spyder does just as a car does, it leans to the outside of the turn - just the opposite of a motorcycle. You on the other hand must lean to the inside of the turn. While doing this you are actually turning the front wheels via the handlebars in the direction of the turn just as you would an ATV. The steering effort is relatively light in most situations as it has power steering (DPS). If you advance to testing your limits in the twisties you will find it takes a lot of effort to make tight turns at speed. The Spyder will stay stable during all this and will not turn over unless you do something super stupid i.e. more than just plain stupid. You will never have to worry about that gravel in the next turn. Just run right thru it at speed. You probably won't even notice it. Same with sand or water across the road or railroad tracks or...you get the picture. You can't go wrong with the Spyder RS. It's not as fast as the sportbikes and it will not handle as good as they do but it outperforms the cruisers and is a more stable platform to boot. Oh yeah - when braking you don't have to think about which brake to use, front, back or both - just slam the single foot brake - the Spyder's computers and ABS take care of the rest. Anymore questions feel free to ask. David

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I think you need to give the Spyder a test drive for sure. Since the Spyder is soooooooo different than a cycle (and a four wheeler) most Spyder dealers do have demos you can ride. At least everyone I have visited does. Poke around, you should be able to find one, if not, BRP attends a lot of bigger bike events and does ride demos. I'm guessing inside a few miles you and your wife will know what you need to, and can make a decision if it is for the two of you :D).

With that said I enjoy a powerful ride that handles well (my fun car is a Viper, past cars include Shelby's, and old British roadsters).... and I consider the Spyder is a nice fun quick ride. It combines the "wind in your face" of a cycle in a much safer package. It will initially "feel" like a four wheeler, and if you have driven four-wheelers you will initially drive it like one.... but you don't have to, that's the trick. It is not a cycle, but it can be driven more "like" a cycle than one would think, but does tend toward a four-wheeler feel. It does not lean, but you get to. It is designed to not tip over, anything is possible, but I haven't run across anyone that has managed to do it yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may just be overreacting to what you think is an overstep with the Ducati.
Ive just had two sessions courtesy of a superb dealer and a professional team of demontstrators. Time spent 3 hours on manual and semi auto RS's. I havent got back into bikes since I was young because I wanted grunt but worried about some of the same stuff as you. Riding a quad is similar in body action but there it ends. The technology is out of sight of a quad. Opening up a 1000cc bike without the woopsies was awesome. I prefer the manual and would upspec for more noise and get the bars raised but I am a fan no doubt about it. Someone will pillion you and go frm there. Do it.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
What a great post! :D Thanks for putting it all out there for us!
Forget what you know about how motorcycles ride and hadle... The Spyders are another chapter in a different book! :cool:
I wouldn't worry too much abou the stability of them; the engineers at BRP packed a lot of technology under the "Tupperware" to try and insure that we all wouldn't be falling off of them and calling our lawyers...:eek:
If you shop around a bit I'm sure that you'll find a dealer who'll let you test ride one... Take the Lambo along to the dealers... it'll let them know that you're serious! (Nice car! Post some pics of it!!)
We shouldn't try to convince you the Spyders are that good... you need to convince yourself of that! :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know the feeling

I felt exactly as you...I currently have a VIPER and a 911TT. I got hit by a car on a motorcycle (not my fault) when I was in college and have never wanted to get back on a bike again...that is until I saw a Spyder last summer at a traffic light....I ordered my RT Limited in January with out even driving one first..It was delivered last weekend and is a blast to drive...kinda like a PWC on land. I have to tell you that on my first trip out a lady on her cell phone pulled out right in front of me....so you really have to pay attention...
Robert

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have always ridden bikes thinking that I am invisable. That said my wife and I love our 2010 RS. The more you ride one the more you understand the handling and become more confident in what to expect. The spyder is a class machine and a real attention getter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. I've worked out a deal and plan to do everything, including picking up the bike tomorrow. My wife and I are still discussing whether we really want to do this tomorrow.

I chose the RS-S black/orange model with the semi-auto transmission. We're going to put a deposit down on a pearl white RS-S they have also. That way we're not throwing all out eggs into the basket immediately, and will give us both a change to ride mine for a while to see if we really want to purchase two.

So perhaps tomorrow I'll be an owner. :)

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Thanks guys for all the replies. I've worked out a deal and plan to do everything, including picking up the bike tomorrow. My wife and I are still discussing whether we really want to do this tomorrow.

I chose the RS-S black/orange model with the semi-auto transmission. We're going to put a deposit down on a pearl white RS-S they have also. That way we're not throwing all out eggs into the basket immediately, and will give us both a change to ride mine for a while to see if we really want to purchase two.

So perhaps tomorrow I'll be an owner. :)
Why not today :D ?

I'm glad you worked it out, I found this link for you in case you had trouble finding a dealer to let you ride one: Can-Am Demo Tour | BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster

That is the best color Combo by far in my opinion, but I'm a little biased as I custom painted my Viper "Brazen Orange Metallic :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not today :D ?

I'm glad you worked it out, I found this link for you in case you had trouble finding a dealer to let you ride one: Can-Am Demo Tour | BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster

That is the best color Combo by far in my opinion, but I'm a little biased as I custom painted my Viper "Brazen Orange Metallic :)
By the time I had everything negotiated and worked out, it was too late to really do anything. So I have to wait until tomorrow....if we truely decide to go through with it.

That's interesting about the demo rides. I can fully understand the "events", but the dealer thing complexes me. On the site it says, "No event? No worries! Find a dealer to book a demo ride." Last sentance is a link taking you to a dealer locater.

Of course, I've been to my dealer (only 1 fairly closeby, the other is over an hour away), asked them about a test drive, and I got the insurance speech and 10 mile crap. Now I'm wondering if I've been #@$%ed around. I mean hell yeah I want a demo ride before I drop 20k on the freaking thing!

So thank you for providing that link. I must've missed it on the site when I was looking at the Spyders. Tomorrow will now be quite interesting, as I'm going to insist on this "demo ride" before doing anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see a blog states 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds. No suggestion of wheelstand.
That'll do me.
That's all very well but now for what to do with the Ducati.
Delivery to 82 Hooker (yes Hooker) Rd Hamilton New Zealand should take care of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might as well ask them throw in a battery tender and to install the pigtail that goes to the battery so you won't have to hook up the clips everytime. Good luck,
Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I called the 1-800 number on the site last night concerning the demo rides. I told them that my dealer basically refuses to allow any kind of demo ride, and I really needed to try the bike out before purchasing. I was told by the representative that the dealer isn't required to offer demo rides in cases of liability. Bah.

If they want to sell more of these things, they need to get them out there to people easier. Not everyone lives in freaking California (only place where they hold these "events").

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I've got 2 dealers up here by me that does allow test rides as long as you've got a license. A 3rd one doesn't allow them for any reason... I agree with you that these bikes are so very different that some sort of test ride should be available... I don't know, but maybe you could check with other dealers in your State to see if they allow them.
Maybe there's a willing owner nearby who'd let you take one for a spin???:cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
24 Posts
YES IT IS WORTH IT!

After 14 years back on a bike - three weeks and sorry I did not get a Spyder in 2008.. NOw own a 2010 Blue RS SE and will upgrade in a couple months to my 1st choice the RT... Just could not wait any longer to save for the RT so I pulled the trigger on the RS. SHould be able to resell for what I paid .. IF not who cares. I am having a blast.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I for the life of me cannot understand why any Spyder dealer would not do demo rides for folks with a cycle license/who show up on a cycle. I have been at a lot of bigger Bike events (east, west and midwest), and BRP is almost always there doing TONS of demo rides. Just one person after another!

But this is my favorite part of this thread, click this link to see the rest of the story :) :

new-spyder-owner

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar interest

I have similar interests to yours. I drive a 2008 ford bullet with Roush supercharger and I drive it hard. I bought my spyder RS about six months ago for riding on curvy horse farm country roads. I love it. It does not corner like a motorcycle but you can corner hard. If you install the anti sway bar it's even better in the curves. You do have to lean into the curves for counter balance so you are working the curves, but you can take them plenty fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have over 20 years of HEAVY ATV riding under my belt, I can say first hand when I first saw the Spyder I was thinking to myself that if it handled at all like an ATV we would need to buy stock in body bag manufacturing.

I was able to take a test ride on a 2008 Spyder GS #3116 with 216 miles on it and before I started to take off I was very nervous about being on a road with it. Once I hit the roadway I kept waiting for it to feel unstable but to my amazement BRP has somehow made these rides to be about a stable as a car.

As for cornering, the Spyder is NOT a motorcycle (ignore the license plate that says otherwise), the Spyder is also NOT an ATV, it is in it's own class and once you ride one you will understand what I am talking about. It does outperform most cars on the road, I find myself on corners about 25% faster then I would go on a car and I feel great with ZERO feeling of loss of control.

The biggest thing I noticed is OTHER DRIVERS, I hope you like the attention because I have noticed that I cannot get gas, stop at a light, ride down the road, park in a public place or stand next to my Spyder without at least 1 person snapping a photo, gawking, talking to me or just otherwise being distracted.

I even had a guy hit the rear end of another car in the lane next to me because he (the driver) was hanging outside of the passenger window with a cell phone trying to get a photo of the Spyder when the light changed and bam the idiot drove right into the car ahead of him.

For me the Spyder is the distraction for other drivers, so while you have people messing with the radio, texting, yapping on a cell phone and just otherwise not watching the road you now have those same people who do look up at the very last second and see the Spyder and any hope of these fools not killing themselves or someone else just about goes out the window.

I have thoght about carry two peices of paper with my when I ride, #1 an information sheet about the Spyder along with the address of the local dealer, #2 a halfway filled out witness report for an accident...

Now I ride in Denver and I will say that not too many of these rigs are to be found on the road here so your experience may differ.

I often joke that if a guy on a motorcycle dressed up like a clown with an air horn and juggling at the same time pulled up next to me at a light that nobody would even notice him... at all.... it is that crazy...

I would say I am 100% in love with the Spyder, it is my new favorite ride hands down and my wife is happy because now she gets to drive around in my former commuter car, a 2009 BMW 335XI.

So it was a win-win all the way around.

John
L67Sleeper
2008 Spyder GS PE#3116

1 - 19 of 19 Posts