Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding yesterday on freshly graveled roads, my Spyder looked more gray than blue, and was covered with the road dust. I used S100 and the whole process, including drying everything, took me less than 30 minutes. The only glitch was in the very lowest portion of the windscreen where I could not get my microfiber cloth to get to it, the water had to dry by itself. But for as large a vehicle as the RT is, it took surprisingly little effort and time to get it clean and shiny. I give much of the credit to S100, a product I have been using for many years and am more than pleased with it (as long you rinse it off really, really well).

·
Registered
90 Posts
One thing you might want to keep an eye on vito is the radiators. They do need to be cleaned now and then. Bug guts can get in there and if enough start causing overheating issues. Not something to worry about on every washing but something to check now and then.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I give much of the credit to S100, a product I have been using for many years and am more than pleased with it (as long you rinse it off really, really well).
S100 really is 409 in a different bottle, costing 2 to 3 times as much. :oops:

And I don't like either for general cleaning as it tends to remove polish and wax too.

Water and "car wash" soap really is the best. Or just water sometimes.
Followed by spray "cleaner and polish" that comes in a black can (usually) with a label for every brand of bike ever made.
All the same stuff; different label.

Honestly, mine gets "washed" twice a year whether it needs it or not. :ROFLMAO:
Love Bugs and situations like you described requires a bit more often.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S100 really is 409 in a different bottle, costing 2 to 3 times as much. :oops:
If that is so, why doesn't the manufacturer of 409 market the product as a vehicle cleaner? Why would they sacrifice their market share to another company using their formula? I use 409 in my kitchen, and find that if I do not really work at rinsing the service, and even then sometimes, it can leave a sticky residue, but not so with S100 (which I also rinse well, but with just a gentle spray from my garden hose).

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
If that is so, why doesn't the manufacturer of 409 market the product as a vehicle cleaner? Why would they sacrifice their market share to another company using their formula?
I did not SAY that it is a different company.
I don't really know.

But let's say that it is a different company. And they pay 409 "retail" price for every bottle that THEY sell as S100.
And they charge 3X that price. Then both companies make a tidy profit.

You worry about tiny things WAY too much. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I am curious where your information that S-100 is 409 comes from? Source please.
It was a conclusion reached a LOT of years ago from "gauge by nose".
And an observation of the results obtained by both.

S-100 has a VERY distinctive chemical odor.......that is the same as a common household cleaner.
My memory isn't what it used to be, so it might be Fantastik instead of 409.
I just tested the 409 under our kitchen sink.......and they have added a lemon scent to it now so my "nose" test might not work anymore.

If you REALLY care, the EPA should have MSD (material safety data) sheets on both.

Regardless of all that, I think S-100 is overpriced AND is hard on automotive finishes and some plastics too.
I think it was originally intended for greasy areas and wheels and NOT for general purpose body cleaning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was a conclusion reached a LOT of years ago from "gauge by nose".
And an observation of the results obtained by both.

S-100 has a VERY distinctive chemical odor.......that is the same as a common household cleaner.
My memory isn't what it used to be, so it might be Fantastik instead of 409.
I just tested the 409 under our kitchen sink.......and they have added a lemon scent to it now so my "nose" test might not work anymore.

If you REALLY care, the EPA should have MSD (material safety data) sheets on both.

Regardless of all that, I think S-100 is overpriced AND is hard on automotive finishes and some plastics too.
I think it was originally intended for greasy areas and wheels and NOT for general purpose body cleaning.
Actually I have looked at the MSDS sheets for both and noted that there are ingredients listed for S-100 that are not listed for 409. This seems to indicate they are not the same product. Also 409 was invented in the USA while S-100 was invented in Germany, at least that is what the internet reports.

Never the less, I have used S-100 for years and have found no problems with the finish on my bike.

I think we will have to respectfully disagree and I shall continue to use S-100.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
at least that is what the internet reports.
Sure. And if you saw it on the Internet it HAS to be true......right ?? ;)

As far as the ingredients go, the MSDS doesn't show the relative percentages of each ingredient IIRC, so some of the differences might be inconsequential.

BUT then......I got to wondering if we aren't talking about the same things here.
I am thinking about the "original" S-100, which was a heavy duty degreaser.
Do they now have additional products in the S-100 "line" that are different ?

Anyway, if the instructions do not specifically say that it is safe for painted finishes and plastics, I think recommending it for "general" cleaning is not a good thing to be doing, at least not without specifying which S-100 product is being discussed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts