Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it with trying to deal with Bluetooth music on my 2018 Spyder F3T. It's difficult to connect. it doesn't always play when I shut off the bike and restart it, and so far it's just died three times for no apparent reason. My Bluetooth player on my phone works great in my car, and doesn't have any of these problems, so it's not the phone or the phone app.

I'd like to put my music library on a USB stick and bypass Bluetooth completely, but I've never gotten the bike to see the USB drive, and I've tried many, many times. I formatted the 16GB stick for FAT 32, tried copying the MP3 files using both Windows and Linux, and I've mounted the drive as a portable device and deleted the system volume information folder. Absolutely nothing works.

I'd greatly appreciate ANY help getting a USB drive to work for playing music. It appears BRP Connect is no longer available on Google Play, so I'm using BRP Go, which doesn't work for a lot of things. Bombardier completely screwed up Android Auto to the point that Go apps are unusable.

If USB music won't work with BRP Go and I need to install BRP Connect on my Motorola (Lenovo) Moto G7 (Android 10)
and anyone knows of a source for BRP Connect software for Android 10 that can sideload, I'd really appreciate it. I'm pretty technical, and have done sideloading before. If I'm missing something for playing from USB, I'd love to hear about it.

THANKS !!!

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
The radio isn't designed to read a USB stick directly but to accept input from another USB device.
So......a micro-memory card in your phone might work
Or just loading the music files on the phone if you have enough memory
On the '17 and earlier models, the GPS has a memory card slot.......and it does Bluetooth.
I think most people solved the problem with a Bluetooth receiver.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply !

So......a micro-memory card in your phone might work
Or just loading the music files on the phone if you have enough memory
Any use of the phone requires Bluetooth (as far as I can tell). If I could depend on Bluetooth on the bike I wouldn't have a problem. If my phone had similar Bluetooth problems in my car I'd suspect the phone, or the player app, but it works great there.

I may have to eliminate Bluetooth entirely and use the aux input. I have a headphone jack on my phone. But that means controlling the player app from the handlebars which sucks, but it may be the only thing I can do.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I haven't found any way to bypass Bluetooth, except using the Line Input with another mp3 player, which is unacceptable. I messed around a lot with the settings on my Android player app (folder player), but that's a discussion more appropriate for an Android forum than a Can-Am forum. What finally fixed the problem was switching to a different mp3 player app (Media Monkey).

So even if your phone works via Bluetooth with another vehicle and doesn't work with a Spyder, don't assume it's the fault of the Spyder. Try another mp3 player app or several before drawing any conclusions.

Bluetooth acts up in general with many devices. The phone forums feature people with plenty of complaints. My difficulty was probably (just a wild ass guess) with how the old mp3 app handled screen timeout, and waking from pause caused by shutting off the Spyder. It's fixed now with the new mp3 player app and I'm a lot happier.

· Registered
92 Posts
You know, if you shut the phone off once in a while it refreshes the phone and things work better. Apple security is a bit of a problem when using BT on an iPhone as I’ve found (and other MC owners) connection problems when using AirPods and my car still had the phone listed but my iPhone lost it and I had to re-pair.
So far, I shut my phone off about once a week and close the music app unless I’m going to use it and turn it on when I’m gonna get on the bike and it works great. I ride a lot so I’ve gotten used to it. Many Spyder riders ride once in a while and forget how thing work then get mad when it doesn’t. Use it a lot and it works better.

· Registered
9 Posts
NONE of them would play a memory card/stick directly because the radio head did not support that.
You need a separate device to read the stick and then connect it to the Spyder via the AUX input port.
Sorry but you are not correct. I have a 2016 and 2017 F3 LTD and both play directly from the USB port
in the glove box. You have to select "USB" as the audio input. As long as the USB stick is formatted FAT32.
Works very nice and is my main reason for not upgrading.

johnv

· Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,751 Posts
Sorry but you are not correct.
I hope the person asking the question sees ALL of the replies here.

SO.....I found my USB stick with my music on it.
SHAZAM !!! It works.

I suppose that I am expecting too much for it to have a way to set the play to "random/shuffle" ??
I can't see any way to do that.

· Registered
9 Posts
I found that it plays in alphabetical order, change the filename to the actual name of the song and they will play in that order. If you have the band name as the title it will play all songs by that band in order and not "semi randomly". One nice feature is that it remembers where you were when you last played it and starts up from that point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts