Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am considering transitioning to a Spyder, but would like to know if, due to the configuration of the Spyder, air turbulence is reduced for the passenger.
I recently converted an HD 2007 Classic to a trike. Despite adding air deflectors and a Clearview windshield, passengers remark that the side air turbulence is still greater on the trike than on the two wheeler.
I would appreciate any input you can provide on this.
Thanks in advance.
BobS167

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
my wife says she if real comfy

but again it will depend on what model Spyder you are thinking of buying

she does not notice that much turbulenc behind me, but there are things you can do to stop a ton if you find it is not to your liking

some people use these

Air Wings w/Uppers for Spyder RT

but test driving one is the best thing to find out if it's waht you want/need

·
Registered
570 Posts
My wife has not complained too much except her thighs get cold on really cold days. But I'm big enough that I probably block most of the wind for her.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
yeah mine is about the same

tubby drivers help block the wind, unless of course they are the cause of it

hehe then wife has a mean slap to the side of the head

hehe

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife & I are about the same size..."Pop-corn-farts". We run the RT windshield all the way up. She still comments from time to time that she's getting a beating back there. The comment above about the "Test Ride", is the only way to go.

Fenders from the 3 wheeler is the cause of turbulence, {We have one}...hate it!..

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Baker Built Air Wings have made the biggest difference for us. Wife stays much warmer, less buffeting and I stay drier in the rain as well. Baker recently added another piece to the uppers that helps plug the hole up top. Will post a pic in the next few days if desired.

Patrick

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I like the wind for the most part

the thing that bothers me about the Baker systme is the fact that these things are hard enough on gas as it is without hanging more stuff that catches the wind

besides they are expensive too as you really need both sets to make them work properly

·
Registered
76 Posts
Haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage with the Air Wings. If anything, they smooth out the airflow so no difference? And yes, they are expensive for their size but what for a Spyder isn't? Starting with the price of an RT Limited with all options...

Patrick

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
we also used BMW Tourers .. so the standard seat of the RT was too high for my wife - she always wanted that we drive with shield full-up
what I didn`t like ..
so I bult a new "old-fashioned lower seat - still enough comfy for her - till now nobody could tell me why the passangers of the newer Tourers have to sit "higher" ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts