Can-Am Spyder Forums banner

Paraplegic Spyder Ryder, wheelchairs and the Spyder....

49K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  len100 
Hello Team,

Floto612 back again.....aren't hardware/laptop upgrades wonderful.....crap, if I could only manage my computor as well as I spin wrenches, the world would be so much nicer! Just upgraded and lost two days of emails and internet use.

OK, I have been able to come much closer to resolution on the hand brakes, remember I found out that the original foot brake on the Spyder has a 200mm bore, well Brembo makes a 19x20 handle bar mounted Radial Master Cylinder!!! So, add to this the 30cc resorvoir and hose (make up your own mount), the single banjo pressure sensitive switched banjo bolt and washers, and well, you will be stopping on a dime......or, that's my hope. I lost loads of time trying to secure these items, being a Canadian kid......so, for those in Canada, contact

www.baysideperformance.com

and in the US, contact Craig at

www.vietsperformance.com in California.

My 14mm bore system was very close to working, but I read in my Service/Shop manual, that the BUDS software diagonsis system wants a minimum of 50 psi upon full application of the brakes.......so, best to go with the 20mm bore and stay close as possible to original.

My pieces will come in a week or so and I will update this forum then.

I have lifted myself out of my wheelchair and gotten on my stripped down Spyder, and even with my size 14 shoes, the floor board I made up will do the trick. The orginal pegs are of good sturdy design and postion, amputees will be quite comfortable on them......a little valcro may be a thought on the boot and peg. One very unique idea from another 'challenged ryder', is an electro magnetic holding device, mounted on the pegs and plates to your boots. Very creative thinking!

Kids, we need to put all the ideas out here on the forum, no idea is silly, the only silly idea......is the one you did NOT post.
Excellent work!!!!
I am seriously considering a Spyder, and am very innterested in your brake setup!!!! I am healing from some right foot/ankle issues and will have little to no effective movement of my right ankle, so a hand brake is a must. Your design sounds like exactly what I was thinking. I assume your system does not ineterfere with the ABS or VSCS systems?
I would love to see some detailed pictures when your done and possibly a list of parts (I did see all above posts)
Thanks again for your sharing of this info!!!!
LJ

Hello Team, Little John and Mel....

.....since the changes are implemented prior to the brake lines entering into either of these systems, and should make the same pressure....there should be no effect to either system, of use with this hand brake design. The Shop manual makes mention of achieving a minimum of 508 psi or failures will occur, should be aquired by a 19x20 Brembo Radial handlebar mount master cylinder, which again....mine is in transit. Hang in there with me for another week or so, and I will be sure to keep everyone posted.
Thanks!
Thats what i imagined, but had to ask. I will wait with baited breath to see the end result. When you get it finished, alot of pics, and maybe a hand sketched schematic would help relay the info.
Thanks again, and glad to hear its all workin out for you. I should be making a decision and pullin the trigger on either the Spyder or something else this summer or fall.

OK - I can help with a few of the questions.
1) YES you can skip the Klicktronic. I was going to go that route as well, but the SE5 keeps it "stock". The SE5 also has the reverse gear (as does the M5)
2) My dealer has relocated the pedal brake (ABS and ONLY one is on the bike) to a hand lever. It does not appear to be to big a deal. It is still a single lever and remains ABS.
3) I don't know about this one, but would also be interested. I think it would keep my prosthesis more stable
4) Sorry can't help you with that one either
Star Cruiser,
Could you supply some details on what your dealer did with the brake?
Ive been researching options and if your dealer did it, its gotta be a good possibility for me. If you could supply part numbers, etc that he used, and maybe some pics it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!!!
LJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.