Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
I have a 2018 spyder rt limited and all of a sudden it won’t manually downshfit or go into reverse any advice?
It's a long shot but first check the oil first.

Then, trouble with the control cluster on the left handle bar is fairly common.
A few brave souls have been able to take it loose and clean the switches.......but most people require a dealer visit for a new part.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep, Easy Rider is correct, the 2018 are known to have an issue with the paddle shifter and the left hand control module has to be replaced. Mine was done way back in 2018.
Now that those 2018's are getting up in age, more are experiencing the issue. Back then, there was a service bulletin by BRP, 2018-5.
The bad news is that other owners that currently have the problem are being told by BRP that the part is back ordered.

·
Super Moderator
'17 RT Limited
1,482 Posts
The bad news is that other owners that currently have the problem are being told by BRP that the part is back ordered.
In that case, it might be worth a shot at cleaning it.
By flushing the whole assembly with rubbing alcohol, exercising the buttons a bit and then gently blowing it out with compressed air.
DO NOT put any lubricant into the assembly, especially NOT WD40.

·
Registered
2017 Can Am F 3 Limited 6 speed
127 Posts
I have a 2018 spyder rt limited and all of a sudden it won’t manually downshfit or go into reverse any advice?

So Jason did you make any progress with this? Check oil level is not too much of a mission. Plan b with disassembly and clean is a lot more invilved and tricky I guess. So just wondering how ya got on.

Gerald.

·
Premium Member
2020 F3Ltd
12 Posts
In that case, it might be worth a shot at cleaning it.
By flushing the whole assembly with rubbing alcohol, exercising the buttons a bit and then gently blowing it out with compressed air.
DO NOT put any lubricant into the assembly, especially NOT WD40.
Hmmm! For my two failures over recent years I flooded with LANOX, lanoline based pressure pack with success. WD40 worked for a short time only. Replacement of the switch blocks has actually solved this issue for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts