Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 spyder that hates the heat. Anytime it gets into the mid 90s and Im stuck in traffic, the bike reads 5 bars and the next thing that happens is I get a check engine warning with all light indicators flashing on the dash display.
I have checked the radiator fan and it kicks in at 5 bars and the coolant level good.
Could I have a bad thermostat???
appreciate any feed back.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sounds like it could be. Are you mechanically inclined enough to take it apart and see?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sassapnts thanks for the reply,
Yes, but when I acsess it I'm replacing it anyway.
Just wondering if this is a common problem before I dive in!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Must be. I was stuck in freeway traffic in Phoenix area yesterday at 107 deg, same result. LIMP HOME MODE(LHM) kicked in, but apparently the O/T sensor does not limit RPM and speed in LHM.

Spydersense

·
Registered
40 Posts
I de-installed on my 08GS the lower plastic under the engine .. so she gets more free air - there is also now a new "Cover" for the fan available - which should help also - ask your dealer .. - last is - have a look if your fan works - if you switch off the too hot engine ..
(had always problems on the fast the italian highways..)
my RT has now absolut no problems with the heat ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have a 08 RS and had the same problems with heat until someone posted in this forum a little thingy that worked for me. It's called "The Missing Air Dam". It's a neoprene sponge that fits snuggly between the radiator and the panel to seal the air gap around it. It's a very simple thing, but it has done the job on my Spyder. Since I installed it, I don't have overheating problems any more. You can find it in Home - Spyderpops.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stang, thanks for your reply.
Im sure the dam will cool better when your underway, but im talking stuck in traffic. you know, staic stone cold dead traffic in high heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts