Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well wife and I are going on our first big adventure on a motorcycle PERIOD!!

We are off to Northern Calif about 7:00 am tomorrow morning (Sat) bike is all packed. Was talking to them today and is 90 degrees there so hope the weather is good on the way down and back.

I am taking my small notebook comp along so hopefully I can pop on every nite and blog about the day's adventure/s.

Wife will be in charge of the still camera and one of our Drift cameras on her helmet, the other Drift will be mounted on the bike or my helmet, so that should prove to be interesting

keep yr fingeys and toes crossed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ride safe and enjoy.

Our first weekend adventure got postponed by snow last week. We ended up taking our truck instead of our Spyder. We were all packed and ready to go with the Spyder but the weather report kept getting worse and worse. We ended up with 6 inches of wet snow when we woke up saturday morning, but the roads were clear and dry by the return trip on Sunday.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ty

egads

Well we left the house at 7:00 am and got to the border about 7:15. Got across at almost 8:00 am.. sheesh.. then got gas and of course had to visit with a lookey loo for bout 20 min. then headed south about 8:30. went great till we got to Seattle, then was a bit nervous with up to 6 lanes of traffic, at home 3 is the max we have, but muddled our way thru with no issues.

Our GPS was more than confused, but we finaally got her sorted out

We stopped for lunch about noon or and stopped for gas 3x ( I am keeping track of gallons and mileage for when we are all done)

We rolled into Eugene Oregon about 5:30 or so and found a nice motel close to downtown. Eugene is about 1/2 way from our place to Redding Calif.

So tomorrow we head the rest of the way to Redding hopefully with no issues.

We were told it was about 90 F. there and is supposed to be nice for most of the week, so our plan is to find the Day-Long factory on Monday, then be a tacky tourist for the rest of the day.

So been a long day today so hopefully I will post anbother update tomorrow evening.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 2: Eugene Ore -> Redding Calif

Well we had a great sleep last night so woke up to beautiful day, sun was out and was about 70F at 9:00 AM. Just getting ready to head out and took 30 min to talk to an interested person :D

Left Eugene about 9:30 and headed south. We took the big liners out of our coats and did not put on our warm ryding under clothes. Good thing was about 80+ real fast, by the time we got to Redding it was about 91+F or so. We rolled in here about 4:30.

Everything was going soooo smooth until about 1hr from Redding. We pulled in for gas and bike stalled and check engine light/s came on with 2 fault codes, one went away, but the other stayed on for a bit, it looked like it cleared itself.

Next thing I know is limp home mode comes on and we head to the side of the road right in front of a semi (not fun), sit there and fume a bit then pull key and everything seems to be fine.

Now if that was not bad enough, my helmet. I bought wired with headset ( the connection busted a week before we headed down, it stilled worked till just after bike decided to get stoopid). Now I need to really mickey mouse it so it works for the rest of the week and we get home.

We were going to muddle around the area tomorrow, but it may be me, but it sounds funny as I shift, so keeping my fingeys and toes crossed that nothing major is going on.

The fault code seems to be a heat issue of some sort. I have had the check engine light come on before when the heat gauge needle gets above the half way mark. So I guess bike goes in the shop when we get home to see if thet can find anything. I told them about the engine light last week, but never had time to take it in.

Stayed tuned :cool:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yikes, sounds like more of an adventure than you signed up for. Hope all goes well tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be a fun trip. Stay safe and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

This is something I absolutely have to do one day myself. :)

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 3 - Monday April 23 - Yup a day late and a dollar short :p

Was a real long day yesterday, that's why the post today.

Had a real good sleep, and got up early for breaky. Went to the local Walmart (OMG!! this plac is bigger than both of our "local" ones at home put together)

After getting lost in there we decided to go to Russel (Day-Long) just to say heyas and see if there was any paperwork we could do so they could get an early start on the seat today. Kim (in the office) said not really as they do everything the day of your appointment. Wife told her we will need to see if they could phone a car rental place to get a car delivered that we could use for the day.

Kim then said bah we are going to start today and happened to have a "loaner" seat we could use. So she introduced us to Chris, who is going to build the seat. She showed us the patterns and we picked out the one we wanted, then did the paperwork, then took the pictures they need to make it. Chris the started to take the set off (they had a RT in last week that took 2 hrs to get the seat off, but the owner had buggered up the bolts that hold it on) They don't really have the proper tools, so I got mine out that I brought and then we took 10 minutes to get it off. He was going to take to the shock off by ondoing the bolts at the bottom end and I asked why not just unclip it? That got a huh? hehe so I showed him how to unclip it at the top (WOW !! was his reaction, they had never been shown that), he then showed me how to unhook the switch which I had never thoughtof doing it that way

So now we just need to show up about 11 ish for a custom fitting , then head back about 3:30 or so to pick up the finished seat.

So after all that we decided to run a couple of DH roads ( Destination Highways - Roads you journey to, to travel on... ). HUGE mistake !! (hindsight is 20/20 and has one brown eye that was looking at the bikes seat ).

The loaner seat was uncomfortable, even with our Airhawks on, but we thought " how much of a difference would it make " ? Well taking on twisty mountain roads on an uncomfortable seat combined with no backrest ( they could not put mine on the loaner seat) was a very VERY bad idea !!! My back is very sore today :(

The roads we ran were wild !! (for us at least), it was fun, scary and really challenging. We took some vids, but can't post untill we look and get home. One place we were turning into a one horse town (literally) to check our map and I got the bike up onto 2 wheels ( going just bit too fast for tight slow corner ), this got me a good slap up the side of the head and a real wake up call. I am not sure if "Granny" kicked in, but I bet the truck behind us got an eyefull :eek:

So later today and tomorrow should be a very interesting ryde, with a new seat and sore back. Then about 800 miles starting on Thursday to get home. So far wife has not complained much about the ryding which is a good thing.

Stayed tuned for the next installment :D

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Day 4 - Tuesday April 24 - THE BIG DAY !!!

Well had a good sleep after a rough day yesterday, but back was sore, but it loosened up as the day went on.

We had to be there about 11 to get "fitted" so they could make any major changes if there was any before they covered it. That took about an hour or so. We then went shopping for some souveniers and couple of other things and be back around 3:30 for the install and payment (OUCH !!). They also gave us a tour and showed us how they did it. And we got a couple of nice T-shirts.

They never got the seat itself done untill almost 4:45. Good thing we actually started the day before, since it is such a large seat it takes longer than normal and they are just really starting to get drive ins so it's a learning curve for them too.

OMG !!!!!!! they also did somethings that they have never done before so they were not sure how it was going to look untill they got the bike back and it outside in the sun. They could not get over how it looked on the bike and are going to try doing it more :cool: . The lady who does the sewing was not happy about useing white stitching untill she saw the final results on the bike in the sun, then she even went WOW !!

First thing the wife said when she got on the bike was " my butt loves you ", I thought that was an interesting comment to make to total strangers :eek:, but it was a sooo perfect a comment. When I sat on it, it was not quite the same comment, but close to it. They said it will take about 1000 miles or so to become totally formed as the foam will compress a bit and things will shift, but we rode for about an hour and after adjusting the back rest a bit it seemed like it was already there.

Only bad thing today was it looks like our IPOD has packed it in as it looks like it has crashed as I can't turn it on/off or anything, so looks wife sings or we hope the sat radio actually works for a change.

Tomorrow we are going to do some ryding, hopefully for most of the day to see how we feel.

They were so nice to us and did such an incredible job. I would recommend to anyone to really look at their product/s.

I attached a couple of pictures for your pleasure :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,

I'm enjoying reading your posts about your trip.

The new seat looks absolutely awesome and so comfortable. Might have to do that to mine one day!

Hope your trip continues on successfully. You're definitely not missing anything back here in B.C. - rain, rain, rain!

You've probably tried the following, but maybe not.......

From Apple tech site:

"How to reset an iPod nano (6th generation)
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and Volume Down button simultaneously for at least eight seconds or until the Apple logo appears. You may need to repeat this step"

It's probably similar for other generations, too.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nap? ummmm the back seat is sooper comfy for her and with the (yuk, just corbin in particular) corbin armrests she can prolly fall asleep, but too much to see and she still needs to lean into hard corners.

But if she did that I would prolly get smacked a lot of times as I woke her up with bumps or she missed some good sights

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wednesday April 25 Update

Well another good sleep, but woke up to lots of clouds :confused:

Forcast said chance of thundershowers today and showers tomorrow morning.

We went for a ryde today to the east, but turned back when the mountain we were heading over fogged up and started to rain, we had stopped to put on our rain gear, but since it was just a fun ryde, we figured since we did NOT have to go there, why bother getting soaked :(

So we headed west and got to where we went on Monday and turned back as it was a wild ryde the first time in 90F weather, but did not want to try in iffy weather.

So went back to the hotel to rest a bit before heading out to dinner, but it's pissing out rite now, so just ordered pizza to be delivered.

The new seat is taking a bit to get used to as it just fits differently, so have to unlearn the old way of sitting and learn how to sit a new way. But we rode for about 4 hrs today and no back issues nor butt issues. I have had to play around with the new backrest too to get comfy as it has more adjustments than my old Utopia one.

Tomorrow is the first day of the trip home, so hopefully the weather improves overnight. Mainly so we can pack the bike, we have good rain gear, but hate to get soaked packing :p

So we will see how everything fits over a few hundred k's.

Stayed tuned for tomorrows update

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
The new seat is taking a bit to get used to as it just fits differently, so have to unlearn the old way of sitting and learn how to sit a new way. But we rode for about 4 hrs today and no back issues nor butt issues. I have had to play around with the new backrest too to get comfy as it has more adjustments than my old Utopia one.
Glad to hear that your back and butt are teaching that new seat how they want to be treated... :D
I agree; if there's no need to get wet, why make the extra effort?
Keep enjoying your ride and we'll all keep enjoying reading about it! :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 6 - Thursday April 26.

We were up early (6:30) to try and get an early start. After talking to "lookie loos" and breakfast we left Redding about 9:30. And after watching where the storm clouds were heading we followed them north (more after seat report)

Seat Report : OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when we first got on the bike the wife called me a pig, I asked her why and she said I "passed wind", I said ummm not me, but I think it was my butt making love to the seat :D . After I learned to relax and just left my feet go where they were in the picture they took (that's how they custom build it) it was an incredible difference, even when I used my highway pegs just to change position. BUT for the most part we drove almost 8 hrs with gas breaks and once for lunch. I used to have those small aches in the butt and lower back after I always got off the bike. There were NO aches of any sort each time I got off. My gawd it is such an incredible feeling to not be sore in any way shape or form (and my back was sore this morning too). The seat we got has a heater in it but we did not hook it up as they only hook it to the battery and I did not want it that way as I need to have it hard wired the same way as the rest of the accessories. Ummmm should have hooked it up :eek:

Now for those of you keeping track, we first left Vancouver BC Canada and went all the way down I5 to Redding. We thought it would be fun to go home another way so we decieded on I97 N.

Today was the most challenging so far. Weather was ok in Redding and was fine till we hit Weed. (same place going down the bike decided to have a fit heading down). Temp in Redding was about 65F, the rest of the way to Bend Ore was about 42 ish F. so was a bit chilly.
From Weed to Klamoth Falls we had 30MPH+ crosswinds and then when the semis went the other way it was a total YEE HAA !! of a ryde. Our necks were sore, ( I am sooo glad we got the smaller touring windshield as I really don't know what it would have been like with the stock one) as if that was not bad enough, it rained and then I could not figure out what was bouncing in my helmet, turns out it was hail for about 15 minutes. ( it was bouncing off me and itno my helmet). We finally got to Klamath Falls and stopped for lunch and gas. We had lunch and I had to go to the bathroom, when I got out (about 7 minutes) I looked outside and went O!!!!! M!!!!!! @#!#@!$#@! G !!!!!!!!!!! . You could hardly see across the parking lot for the snow storm that was going on outside. So we stood with our jaws on the ground and watched a blizzard go by for about 20 minutes.

We got gas and continued our merry way. Along the way we hit rain and blowing snow. We stopped at a small place about 1/2 way between Klamoth Falls and Bend for gas then were forced, yes I do mean forced to head into a cafe because it was snowing so hard and it was sticking ( wife was in the gas restroom and like me in Klamath was greeted by a blowing snowstorm ), so we had a hot cup of tea and a piece of pie. We stayed for about 1/2 hr till most of the storm passed. then continued on our merry way again. Once again we chased rain and blowing snow all the way to Bend, where we went into a real nice hotel with our teeth chattering a tango in our mouths.

So hopefully if all goes well we will make it home sometime tomorrow, if not then early Sat morning as wife has someplace she was hoping to be at Sat night.

So Stayed tuned for tomorrows weather report :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Seat Report : OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when we first got on the bike the wife called me a pig, I asked her why and she said I "passed wind", I said ummm not me, but I think it was my butt making love to the seat :D . QUOTE]

:D:D: It must have been what has been described as. "Pig sex"... lots of flash and movement!! :D:D:
SNOW?????
I have really come to look fornward to your "Report From The Road". :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
LOL @ Bob !!!

Friday April 27 Last report for our first big adventure :(

Well after the challenges of Thursday we were in bed early last night (8:30) and up early. We looked out the window and was sunny. We went for light breakfast then got packed and ready to head out. I went out to take off the seat cover. Ummm shook off the snow and got out hoodies out as it was 33F at 8:00 AM . BRRRRRRR !!! and thought " well it can't get any worse than yesterday "

I don't think any stupider words could have been said :rolleyes:. It was sunny but cold until we hit Mt. Hood, we went "oh oh !! this don't look good " . First the snow flakes started, then as we climbed higher the signs kept saying chains/snow tires etc. Hmmmm end of April and they still say that? So we had not much of a choice in the matter so we bravely toodled along. So the snow stopped, but the snow along the side of road and on the trees was fresh and was up to 6" deep. No pictures and the wife figured "why bother keeping the camera out, nuttin's going to happen". We stopped for gas and there was snow about 10" deep at the station and it was freshly plowed
On the way down it got better sorta, the rain/snow were bad but I think the worst part was the steam coming off the road. There were a few times I could not see more than 100ft or so in front of me. The temp dropped to about 37ish at times, but warmed up for a bit then went back down.

After we got all the way down and headed to Portland the weather cleared up for the most part, there were still rain showers, but at least we lost the snow and cold. The rest of the day was pleasant enough, but I am sure glad we brought our hoodies along. It would have been real nasty without them. Sure glad we never fell down our they would have needed a crane to pick us back up

We rolled into home about 7:30 ish with not problems at the border this time :D

Seat Report : OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: same as yesterday for the most part, but we did notice that after almost 8 hrs of steady ryding, but stopping only for gas and a 3/4 hr lunch break we were getting a bit uncomfy. We stopped for about an hour for dinner and then we felt better for the balance of the way home. I think that smaller people would not have any issues, but us "economy" sized people find that sitting on anything hard for a long time tend to get sore butts :rolleyes: . BUT that being said I think it has been the best investment for comfort we have made so far, yes it was expensive :eek:, but how much is your comfort and enjoyment worth? Would I get another? IN AN INSTANT !!

Would we do this again? Yup !!! absolutley. Would we change anything YUPPERS !! avoiding snow I thnk would be a priority for the next one.

I hope you enjoyed our little adventure. I had fun doing this as we toodled along. Our next big one will be at the end of Aug and early Sept when we will be doing about 2500 + miles round trip. I hope I can do this then also.

And last but not least. We travelled a total of 1809.8 miles in 7 days and spent a total of $258.71 US dollars on gas( we just used 91/92 octane, so I think it could have been a lot cheaper doing the highway runs), but did not want to take the chance of getting some bad gas. We used Chevron and Shell for all our fillups.
We used a total of 57.675 US Gallons for 31.3 MPG, which I don't think is all that bad considering there was lots and LOTS of mountainous roads and goofy weather conditions to contend with, plus all of out "junk" which made things a lot heavier than normal

Till next time ** waves **

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home safe and in one piece............well actually two pieces I guess lets not forget the precious passenger!

Seat looks awesome..........and a great "test" of the investment!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts