Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a crotch rocket years ago and I am now 35 yrs old. I would like to know from all the owners out there how comfortable are these truely? Would you ever go back to a standard 2 wheel motorcycle? Do cars seem to see you better with the can am trike? Thanks, any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As far as comfort the Spyder RT is very comfortable to ride. However, you cannot compare the Spyder to your 2 wheel bike. It's totally different. There is no counter stearing with the Spyder. All I can say is go to a dealer that has a Spyder RT demo unit to test ride. I have been riding 2 wheelers for most of my life and it felt really strange riding the Spyder the first time. A week later I took it out again for a longer test ride and after I got used to the stearing it was really enjoyable. By the time I got back to the dealership I was hooked. I have a 2011 RT LTD on order that should be here sometime in March.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the reply. Did riding the spyder reming you on riding a 4 wheeler? I have heard that before.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Spyder is easier to see for a cage in the mirrors. The wide stance does not blend in with other objects as well as a two wheeler.

I have the GS/RS model which has a driving position more like a sport bike. Riding the RT was like riding a sofa. Very comfortable for those long rides. I still ride up to 250 miles for lunch but the RT is in my future.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Having transitioned from a GoldWing to the RT-S, after <300 miles I won't be going back to 2 wheels on a touring bike. Yes, initially I thought this thing is a handful, and it is if you try to ride it like a 2 wheeler. Once you relax and let the machine do what it was designed to do, it's all better. Looking forward to getting the suspension settings sorted out. That's what most seem to have to do. Happy motoring!
Patrick

·
Registered
284 Posts
I mostly like the comfort of the RTS. I'm 6'2" and 40 and think years of rugby, while not overtly causing me pain, have made me not so pliable any more. The wide saddle tends to abduct (to laterally move away from the body) my hips more than I like and for some reason my right knee gets uncomfortable during long rides. I think if I could get my butt back further and stretch out a bit, I'd be living large on a rolling Lazyboy.

All that said, comparable to an RS, night and day. Even sitting on an RS in the showroom was miserable for me.

All in all, I like the ergonomics of the RTS. Being taller, I do tend to get a little cramped feeling on longer rides, but I think it's me more than the bike.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Okay, I've asked this question before and was ignored so I'll ask it again. I have made more than a few replies to posts here but have never made an original post. Up to this point have never had a need to, however now I would like to make an original post but cannot figure how to do it. It's probably staring me in the face but I cannot find it. How do I make an original post? David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, I've asked this question before and was ignored so I'll ask it again. I have made more than a few replies to posts here but have never made an original post. Up to this point have never had a need to, however now I would like to make an original post but cannot figure how to do it. It's probably staring me in the face but I cannot find it. How do I make an original post? David
Gee, thanks for asking, I've got the same problem. I was suspecting about member privileges, but I don't really know. Can somebody help???? :confused:

·
Registered
284 Posts
@Bob... I am not a shill for any custom seat manufacturer (laughs).

I do wonder if they have a seat that slides the backrest portion back a bit, while not cramping the back seat driver. I can only imagines custom seats being beaucoup dinero and how peeved I'd be if I spent the money and it didn't help my positioning. Be real nice if you could somehow try before you buy, or at least sit on one somewhere.

@Findleyontheroof and Colgatemustang...PMed help (I hope) with new threads.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Gee, thanks for asking, I've got the same problem. I was suspecting about member privileges, but I don't really know. Can somebody help???? :confused:
Go to the forum page from the home page.
Select a forum for the type of thread you would like to start.
In the upper lefthand of the page there is a "New thread" button.
Click the button and start your new thread, not much different than a new post.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go to the forum page from the home page.
Select a forum for the type of thread you would like to start.
In the upper lefthand of the page there is a "New thread" button.
Click the button and start your new thread, not much different than a new post.

I hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Worked like a charm (see "Test"). However the site is not that easy to navigate. It was easy with your help but without it I never would have figured it out. What is obvious to some is not obvious to all. In any case I'm set to go now. David

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, guys. The web sites are like the two wheeler vs the three wheeler and the Gold Wing trike vs the Spyder...kinda alike in many ways, but different in many ways. After 60 years on two wheels, I will never go back to two....love my trikes. My scooter is for Wal-Mart trips for bread and milk...easy in and easy out.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Hey, guys. The web sites are like the two wheeler vs the three wheeler and the Gold Wing trike vs the Spyder...kinda like in many ways, but different in many ways. After 60 years on two wheels, I will never go back to two....love my trikes. My scooter is for Wal-Mart trips for bread and milk...easy in and easy out.
Laugh out loud..... I've been building and using sites like this since 1996, so I often forget that it is a good idea to post a "Welcome, here are the basics" post in the new members area, or to include instructions in the welcome to the site email. What things do y'all think would be good in a a welcome post:

How to:
1) log in
2) reply to a post
2a) replying without quoting the original post
2a) replying with quoting the original post
3) originate a new thread
4) include a picture in a thread
5) post a picture in the galleries
6) post a classified ad
7) post an item in the marketplace
8) contact mods if you see spam
9) ?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Laugh out loud..... I've been building and using sites like this since 1996, so I often forget that it is a good idea to post a "Welcome, here are the basics" post in the new members area, or to include instructions in the welcome to the site email. What things do y'all think would be good in a a welcome post:

How to:
1) log in
2) reply to a post
2a) replying without quoting the original post
2a) replying with quoting the original post
3) originate a new thread
4) include a picture in a thread
5) post a picture in the galleries
6) post a classified ad
7) post an item in the marketplace
8) contact mods if you see spam
9) ?
The only thing I had a problem with was originating a new thread. I can now do that although it took some tutoring from youse guys. David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mishapman...have you thought about or tried road pegs? I am 6-3 so may encounter similar issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love It.
I had 7 differance bikes and I have to say this bike is great. When you get used to the steering going around a curve it is fun to ride. You have to used your upper body to lean forward and lean into the curve. Once I got the hang of that it is a blast. And I am 57.
It is a comforable ride and good for long trip.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm 46 and went from a sport bike the a RT Ltd. It is a different ride and I miss the leaning sometimes, but for sporty comfort the RT is hard to beat. After owning mine for about 5 weeks, I did a 1060 mile ride in 21 hours. I don't think that would have been possible on the old Aprilia!

The cruise control takes much of the fatigue out of the long rides. I use it almost always except in heavy traffic. Also the upright seating position is a nice change. I did put the smaller touring windshield on which helped the handling at higher speeds and on windy days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts