Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Depends on your definition of "overcharge".

They are charging what the market will bear.......and what they can get away with.
There is NO other place to get Spyder parts, generally, and no other shop will touch them.
That's the "free market" for you......and the price goes UP.

An oil and filter change starts about $250 and goes UP from there, depending on where you are.

OH, and about the warranty.......as long as you keep good records, like receipts for the oil and filter and other parts and note the date and mileage, you should be fine......in the US.
Other countries are unknown.
And if they find out that you left out an O ring.......all bets are OFF.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on your definition of "overcharge".

They are charging what the market will bear.......and what they can get away with.
There is NO other place to get Spyder parts, generally, and no other shop will touch them.
That's the "free market" for you......and the price goes UP.

An oil and filter change starts about $250 and goes UP from there, depending on where you are.

OH, and about the warranty.......as long as you keep good records, like receipts for the oil and filter and other parts and note the date and mileage, you should be fine......in the US.
Other countries are unknown.
And if they find out that you left out an O ring.......all bets are OFF.
Thanks for the info Easy Rider. BTW, did you see my post about my F3's loud shrill engine noise? I would love to have the bike as quite as a Honda Gold Wing. Possible? I don't want to give up on the Spyder, just bought it however the engine noise is going to be hard to tolerate. Please comment if you have ideas. I hope to do my own maintenance and learn the ins n outs of my Spyder. Any idea where I may purchase a maintenance manual?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I do my own maintenance like an oil change does it affect my warranty? Are the dealers really overcharging maintenance in general?
As mentioned, keep good records. The Spyder dealers here in greater Phoenix charge about 50% more to work on a Spyder than anything else, so YES they are overcharging - but some stuff there just is no other option!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dealers do more than change the oil. They check a bunch of other things as well as check the computers for updates.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got to go through BRP / the dealership. The one I bought is a couple of years out of date, but the model changes are there. Seems as though BRP treats their information like a state secret.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One of the things one must remember is that a BRP dealership is exactly like an automobile dealership in that the service department is a cost center, just like the parts and sales departments. A dealership can't run a service department at a loss without eventually going out of business.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the info Easy Rider. BTW, did you see my post about my F3's loud shrill engine noise? I would love to have the bike as quite as a Honda Gold Wing. Possible? I don't want to give up on the Spyder, just bought it however the engine noise is going to be hard to tolerate. Please comment if you have ideas. I hope to do my own maintenance and learn the ins n outs of my Spyder. Any idea where I may purchase a maintenance manual?
Shop manuals... CanAm Ryker & Spyder Manuals
They are $24.50... and worth every penny!!!
EXAMPLE
Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Event Monochrome photography

1 - 10 of 10 Posts