Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my first oil change on my 2011 RT. Are there any pdf's or better pics. than the ones in the owners manuel? I have all I need as far as supplies. Hard to believe I have almost 700 miles in two weeks. Time sure flies by when you're having fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd go the dealer Jersey Girl. They have lots of upgrades and information for your new Spyder. Sure you'll spend more but in my opinion it's worth it.

Ask about the manifold bulletin. They'll change a couple of grommets and upgrade the software free of charge.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
for the first change they don't just change the oil

they replace a whole bunch of stuff, that's why it costs more than the regular one..

as said they also make sure all the computer stuff is all up to date

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree. It is important to let the dealer do your 600 and maybe the 3,000 too. I had my 3,000 done last week and the dealer installed three free updates and adjusted my drive belt, plus checked several things. I think these updates are for the 2011 RT machine only, not the 2010. Upgrade 2011-7 is for the throttle body, -8 is new grommets and -9 is a new emergency brake spring. All are important...especially -7 and -9. It is worth the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Upgrades / Bulletins

I agree. It is important to let the dealer do your 600 and maybe the 3,000 too. I had my 3,000 done last week and the dealer installed three free updates and adjusted my drive belt, plus checked several things. I think these updates are for the 2011 RT machine only, not the 2010. Upgrade 2011-7 is for the throttle body, -8 is new grommets and -9 is a new emergency brake spring. All are important...especially -7 and -9. It is worth the money.

Hi;
I am a new 11 RT owner. Is there a place on the internet to see these upgrades and bulletins?

Thanks,
Dale

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Hi Dale!
BRP is always issuing TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins...) I'll see if there's an easy way to find them for you.
You can always call your dealer and have them run your Spyder's V.I.N. to see if any of the TSBs apply to it...
But getting separate confirmation is always good! :cool:

Jersey,
If and when you do your own oil changes... you'll find a metal pan underneath that corner of your RT where the whole oil thing needs to happen... Lots of folks just remove that to make future access easier. I pulled mine off a couple of weeks ago while looking for a dropped part :eek: and haven't noticed any functional differences. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Dale!
BRP is always issuing TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins...) I'll see if there's an easy way to find them for you.
You can always call your dealer and have them run your Spyder's V.I.N. to see if any of the TSBs apply to it...
But getting separate confirmation is always good!
Thank you very much Bob. I will look forward to it.

Dale

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman
Hi Dale!
But getting separate confirmation is always good!

Thank you very much Bob. I will look forward to it.

Dale

I don't think there is a listing from BRP on TSBs. You are notified of "safety bulletins" by mail per law. I find out about TSBs on another web site from folks who learn of them from their dealers and pass it on. Bob, if you find a site for them, let us know...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Service Bulletins

I've searched everywhere to find a listing of service bulletins for the 2011 RT limited but to no avail. I sure would like to keep up to date if possible. If anyone knows where all of us can see these for ourselves, I would be most grateful. My 600 mile oil change will be due this week. I will be talking to the dealer about these bulletins. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dropped off the spyder for it's 600 mile check. When I left it I had 840 miles in a little over three weeks. Not too bad. I went to a new dealer and so far I'm very pleased. It's like night and day. They will be putting in my entertainment harness, oil, filters, fog light check, and also checking computer codes. I'm one happy person. Just missing the spyder as it has become my daily ride. So tonight it's the Vespa unless it rains then it's the Jeep. I'm also looking into Lojack. Anyone have one? If you do thoughts and opinions are welcome. It runs about $950.00 but I would get a discount on my bike ins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Jersey Girl,
It was nice to see you and your Spyder today at East Coast Cycle Center. I am guessing that was your husband with the truck, or did I guess wrong ? LOL. Did you notice whether or not you got static on the AM stations ? Now I am home relaxing. I was looking at Goldwings and some Trikes today, but decided not to purchase any of them. One toy is enough. I just like trying different things.
Gordon
[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Jersey Girl,
Just keep a doberman pincher in the trunk. I promise you no one will want to steal your Spyder.
Gordon
p.s. Don't forget to give him or her food and water every day. LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm doing my first oil change on my 2011 RT. Are there any pdf's or better pics. than the ones in the owners manuel? I have all I need as far as supplies. Hard to believe I have almost 700 miles in two weeks. Time sure flies by when you're having fun.
especially mirror removal.:confused:

Hey all
New to site & brp.
Have ridden snow machines for over 30 years & have recently switched over to my summer snowmobile, 2011 RT limited.So far I'm having a ball.(2300kms in 3 weeks:D)
I agree it is important to have the dealer do the initial oil & check,but I think at $440 for an oil change,I'll be doing most myself.As normal,OM parts are more expensive than at your corner WM & I'm willing to accept those (in most cases),But $272 for labor is just not acceptable to me.Have done all my oil changes over the years on my snowmachines (including the 4 strokes you nearly had to dissemble to get to the oil filter)& I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do this if I can figure out how to remove that mirror without damaging it.
Sorry for the long winded 1st post, but I think some of these dealers sock it to you.:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. He did not have the truck. He had the red Vulcan. I got some static on the AM but mostly listened to my new XM. I have been in withdrawl since getting my new bike set up. The sound is awesome now and so is the ride. I'm going back when my service manuel comes in and I have some more accessories to order. They are really a nice bunch of guys. Fixed all of my problems and had answers for me in less than 24 hrs. Four days less than my dealer in Jersey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was well worth it for the first one as he did a lot of checking and updating on things that my husband the mechanic wouldn't know to look for. I do have the supplies to do my next one as I just turned over 1000 miles in just about 4 weeks. I was very impressed with Bensalem and will be going back for the things that we cannot do. Right now I'm having too much fun riding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts