Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fresh off the showroom floor, I ended up with a DPS/Check engine display and Limp Mode with only 265 miles on the spyder. Wife and I returning from Portland (Oregon that is) just riding along. Took a moderate righthander at about 45mph and wham! Limp mode, DPS/check engine display. Pulled over at next pull out, turn off spyder, waited 2-3 minutes and she started right up with no display. Like it never happened. Rode off and lo' 10 miles down the road is happens again. Followed same procedure and, after 3-4 minutes she started up again, no display and we rode home another 40 miles without incident. Been fine ever since. Had it checked during the 600 mile service - no codes in the computer - maybe a gremlin that's righted itself - if it does it again, we'll check further. Kept riding, solo most of the time so I could practice (not like my motorcycles). Last weekend, wife and I go for ride (has about 1K miles on it now), about 45 miles from home, going uphill over Cascade Head, 4th gear 5K rpm taking moderate right hand curve and zingo - limp mode/ DPS/Check engine fault displayed with red light on the dash (steady red dot). Been here before, so pulled over at top of the hill, turned it off and sat for 3-4 minutes, but this time both of us smelled something like burning rubber or brake material - curious since I hadn't used the brakes. Started spyder - display still registered "check engine". Turned off and waited 4-5 minutes and everything appeared back to normal except the red dot on the dash. Turned around and headed for home. Got 15 miles down the road and "Check Engine" came back on but no DPS, No limp mode either. Kept riding trying to get home. Another 10 miles and bingo, red dot goes out, display returns to normal and she's right as rain. Smell has vanished as well. Now I know I don't ride the brake - of that I'm certain so what could it be. Called Pro Caliber in Longview, Wn and was told to get it in, the red dot means it now has a code stored and maybe they can track this down - but DON'T ride it (Company line on safety). Curious it only happens two up and always on a moderate curve to the right. Guess I'll trailer it over next week and maybe they can figure it out. Hope this isn't the begining of "one thing after another". We want to tour, but not feeling comfortable being too far from home if this stuff keeps up. We'll see if they can straighten it out.
Sorry for the long post - I can get that way from time to time. Especially when it's something new and new to me that I really can't troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
I got a few DPS errors when my Spyder was new. After adding some air to the front tires the errors stopped happening. The dealer was not able to see any codes. My Spyder came with 14 and 14.5 in the front tires. I played with the air and found that 20 makes the ride much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running pressures at 16/28 right now. Have front suspension set at 5, it was 4 when this happened. As mentioned, I suspect that something isn't talking to something else. The burning smell has me stumped. Smelled like overheated brakes, but hadn't used brakes - maybe something is dragging that shouldn't. You'd think I would notice that as it would affect performance. Guesss we'll find out when the shop looks it over. The more sophisticated something gets, the more that can go wrong. Eventually it'll get sorted out - I hope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the spyder in to Pro Caliber in Longiview, Wa yesterday. They plugged in the "machine" and read out 4 codes, only one of which was DPS. Tech said I had two brake switch codes and some and ECM and VCM code. Said it was curious as he hadn't see those codes combined quite like that before since they didn't seem to match up with the symptoms. Left the RT as they said they probably would be calling the engineers on this one. No word yet on what's up. I know the brake codes aren't from riding the brake - I ride the Spyder like I do my BMW GT, the balls of my feet on the pegs. I'll be interested in the outcome. Tech also said that he was fascinated that it went into limp mode, but then came back out. Once there, it's supposed to stay in limp - mine doesn't.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
good luck on getting a few answers at least

keep us posted

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got call today. Seems they can't quite resolve the codes just yet. Having to do more extensive work than they initially thought. Mentioned very detailed protocols etc. Anyway - she's still being worked on. Since weather is crap outside just now - not an issue. Would rather be patient and have situation resolved so it doesn't repeat itself. When all is said and done, I'll chat with the tech and get a more comprehensive outline of just what went wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got her out of the shop Saturday. As I understand it, they had to reprogram and recalibrate the systems and numerous calls to BRP were made. Recalibrate the brake sensor to factory setting. Seems mine wasn't at factory setting anymore, if it ever was- Cause it still a mystery. Trailered it home and will take it out today for a bit of a run. They can't explain why it malfunctions only when I'm two up. Asked about the rear suspension leaking - mine doesn't seem to be. No clear indication of what the problem or problems were-as I said, cause is a mystery. So, everything is "back to normal" with factory settings ( I hadn't changed anything). We'll see today. Seems that others are having similar issues as well. Did see a 2010 there for a fix equiped with Two Brother's exhaust - looked and sounded cool. They assured me that slip on exhaust doesn't affect any ECM setting since it's behind the O2 sensor. Might look into that further.

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
well glad you got yr baby back

hopefully things got fixed

nice to know bout bolt on exhaust though.. i was told that they may viod yr warrenty because of no O2 sensor.. so now I need to look for something

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fresh off the showroom floor, I ended up with a DPS/Check engine display and Limp Mode with only 265 miles on the spyder. Wife and I returning from Portland (Oregon that is) just riding along. Took a moderate righthander at about 45mph and wham! Limp mode, DPS/check engine display. Pulled over at next pull out, turn off spyder, waited 2-3 minutes and she started right up with no display. Like it never happened. Rode off and lo' 10 miles down the road is happens again. Followed same procedure and, after 3-4 minutes she started up again, no display and we rode home another 40 miles without incident. Been fine ever since. Had it checked during the 600 mile service - no codes in the computer - maybe a gremlin that's righted itself - if it does it again, we'll check further. Kept riding, solo most of the time so I could practice (not like my motorcycles). Last weekend, wife and I go for ride (has about 1K miles on it now), about 45 miles from home, going uphill over Cascade Head, 4th gear 5K rpm taking moderate right hand curve and zingo - limp mode/ DPS/Check engine fault displayed with red light on the dash (steady red dot). Been here before, so pulled over at top of the hill, turned it off and sat for 3-4 minutes, but this time both of us smelled something like burning rubber or brake material - curious since I hadn't used the brakes. Started spyder - display still registered "check engine". Turned off and waited 4-5 minutes and everything appeared back to normal except the red dot on the dash. Turned around and headed for home. Got 15 miles down the road and "Check Engine" came back on but no DPS, No limp mode either. Kept riding trying to get home. Another 10 miles and bingo, red dot goes out, display returns to normal and she's right as rain. Smell has vanished as well. Now I know I don't ride the brake - of that I'm certain so what could it be. Called Pro Caliber in Longview, Wn and was told to get it in, the red dot means it now has a code stored and maybe they can track this down - but DON'T ride it (Company line on safety). Curious it only happens two up and always on a moderate curve to the right. Guess I'll trailer it over next week and maybe they can figure it out. Hope this isn't the begining of "one thing after another". We want to tour, but not feeling comfortable being too far from home if this stuff keeps up. We'll see if they can straighten it out.
Sorry for the long post - I can get that way from time to time. Especially when it's something new and new to me that I really can't troubleshoot.
You're lucky your Spyder started after these events. My 2011 RTSE-5 had the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree after getting the required 600 mile warranty work done. I limped it to my daughter's house and shut it down so I wouldn't ruin anything. Then I tried to restart it. No go. Called the dealer then next day. A mechanic and service manager came to the house to start it and take it back to the dealer. After 45 minutes of tinkering still no go. Then for unexplained reason the service manager hit the start button and the engine cranked and caught. The Spyder was driven back to the dealer. Later that day I was called to come pick it up. Since the gas tank was near dry I stop for gas. Tried to restart the Spyder and couldn't. Called the dealer and was taken through a starting sequence. After rocking the kill button a couple of times and hitting the start button the engine cranked and caught. Since it was running I drove it home. The next day I went to my former work place to show it off. It wouldn't start when I was ready to go home. Fiddled with starting procedures and then it finally. Next day it wouldn't start again. Fiddled with starting sequences again and it started. I immediately drove it to the dealer since the Check Engine icon was showing and I got a P2530 error code. The Spyder remained at the dealer for three weeks. During that time all of the wiring was supposedly checked, the ignition switch, computer module, and the battery were replaced. I was called to come get it. The gas tank was empty again so I stopped at the same gas to fill up. As I was about to turn off the ignition I saw a LARGE Check Engine message on LCD. I thought this has to be a fluke. I put the trans in Neutral, set the brake, and turned off the ignition. I filled the gas tank and then tried to start the engine. The computer booted, the dials swung up and down, and then the LCD screen went blank to gray with vertical lines on the left side of the screen. The starter tried to crank and the there was a binding sound. I turned off the ignition, waited two minutes, then went through the starting sequence again. NOTHING. Not even a minute crank. Called the dealer's service department, was run through a starting sequence and still no go. The service writer sent a crew with a trailer to my location and the Spyder was trailer back to the dealer. As it stands right now, even if the dealer somehow finds a fix for this machine my wife will not ride on it. She's afraid we'll be out somewhere and get stranded. I'm hesitant to ride it any great distance from home for the same reason. Because of the problems I've been having with it and seeing the complaints here, similar to mine, I will also refuse to recommend that my friends or family members buy one. I also find it difficult to believe that BRP can't find the causes and fixes for these problems and eliminate them. BRP's customer service department is also a joke. I do like the concept of this machine, the handling, the ride in general, but when it comes to dependability, forget it, except that it will break down. If I wanted that, I would have bought a Harley. Anyone else having these problems with their RT? Did your dealer find a fix? If so contact me at [email protected] Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OH NO It sounds like you are in my world? Same issues sort of.

This is a copy of E-mail I just sent to BRP rep. Carlos.

Carlos,
Here we go. Hold onto your wig, because I have already flipped mine off my head. We will start with saying I am a disabled Veteran and a medically retired Police Officer. this is to show I have a hell of a lot of patience and devotion to what I set my mind at. 8 years in the Marine Corps taught me attitude and 15 as a Police Officer taught me persistance.

So a few Bullet points.

1. I bought a 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT SE5(BLUE) on Easter of this year.

2. I did not finance it. We paid CASH.

3. My Father-In-Law Lawrence Kay Jones bought a 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT SE5 Limited same day.

4. He also did not finance. He paid cash.

5. At approximately 500 miles my Spyder kept going into Limp Home mode. This was each time I would get fuel. Dealer was unable to duplicate issue when I spoke about it. It seemed to finally get it out of its system and stopped doing it.

6. Radio reception from day 1 was CRUD. I was in LODI, Ca. and could barely pick up a radio station from Modesto, Ca. 15 miles away.

7. Then a new and even sweeter thing started happening. I would just be driving and radio would go out. It would say it was working. But it was not even there. I know I have hearing issues. But I only have a serious case of Tinnittus not deafness. Then it would come back on suddenly the next day and about blow my ears. And sometimes it seemed to be possessed and I would walk out to garage and the radio was playing and nothing was turned on?

8. Then my Father-In-Laws radio went out on him back in June and never came back. He had serious surgery and was unable to get the Spyder in till recently the first of the month.

9. Then a new development for me. I would be driving along all happy. and screen would go out. Then come back in a few up and down lines and bike would buck and shudder and not accelerate and almost die.

10. I would pull over to side of road. Turn off ignition , turn it back on. It would sometimes light up and sometimes not even turn on. Then wait and try a few more times . Screen would come on and bike would start and rev to almost 6 grand then settle down and be fine.

11. Then a new problem arose. If I let it sit for two days. The battery would be dead. Oh joy of joys then. It would be so dead. I could not even get the parking brake to release. And Spyder's suck for jump starting. They just don't like it.

12. I have since been told all of my problems are inter linked.

13. David at BRP Customer Support. This Kid needs a raise. By the time I got to talk with a live body. I was not pleasent to deal with. He handled me like a seasoned pro. He not only calmed me down he made promises and stuck to his promises. he told me he would be calling the dealer. He did in fact call the dealer. After David called the dealer. David called me back. You better watch and coddle this boy. He is an asset for BRP.

14. David confirmed what I had been told by dealer. There is an issue with the cluster and it is a supplier issue.

15. I should back up and say , I was a manager at a local Small engine shop. We did repairs for customers with one saw and some with 100. If a part was not available. I was well known for stripping a brand new saw down to get the part. I would then re-install the part when it was again available and install it on the new saw and sell it.

16. I asked this question. But he deftly shuffled past that question and moved on.

17. He did state when this whole thing is over BRP will make it up too me.

18. Let me explain something. I have always had bikes. At one time well over 15. This included about any brand from and Aprilla to a Suzuki. I could have easily bought bought two good used Harley or Honda Goldwing Trikes for what I paid for this Spyder. Or spent a little more and bought a T-Rex. I did not.

19. John, at Marina Boat Sales in Lodi, Ca. convinced me and my dad to buy from them and too buy the RT's. We did not haggle we told him we wanted a cash deal and he took care of it. He had in stock exactly what we each wanted. And deal was done. John was so awesome he came in on a day the store was closed and sold them due to time issues for myself and Father-In-Law. John took care of the sale after another dealership not only lied to my Father-In-Law and I. But made it appear peoples job's were in jeopardy if we did not purchase from them.

20. I want my Bike and I want it now. I don't want it possibly after the 14th of November. I want it now.

21. Were I live. My Father-In-Law and I own the only two RT's up here. The next nearest is 50 miles away.

22. I jokingly call my Spyder the (O.M.M)----OLE MAN MAGNET. I carry with me brochures and business cards for the RS and RT's. I allow folks to sit on the SPYDER feel it and in some cases ride it in parking lot.

23. I own two personal websites. I also am subscribed to well over 30 forums. It is about a 1/2 split between Spyders and Jeep's. I am well known as COPPER204 on almost any forum you visit. I gladly talk about the benefits of riding the SPYDER. How can I do so from this point forward when parts supplies for the SPYDER are sooooooooo shoddy?

24. The amount I paid for one of these equates to almost half the amount of money I make per year. and to have it sitting in dealership upsets me greatly. It is as if, "HA HA WE GOT HIS MONEY, SO NOW, HE CAN WAIT WHILE WE GET MONEY FROM THE NEXT CHAP."

25. If I wanted these types of excuses and treatment I would have bought a Harley?

26. My dealer service guys are trying. But BRP is making it hard for them to paddle across the lake when you keep the OARS (parts) from them.

27. Ok so if some people are considered amabassador's? What would I be called ? Anti-ambassador?

28. I do not want to be negative. But man I am getting a BAD taste in my mouth.

29. Ok here is the REAL kicker. My dealer now supposedly has 4 yes 4 Spyder RT's at the dealership with same issue. How ism this possible? Mine is serial number ending 997. Did all four of us get the lemons or Friday bikes when everyone was in a hurry to go home, and messed them up. Or the Monday bike where everyone was unsure or unclear where they left off on Friday?

30. Let's get an answer and lets get it NOW.

Respectfully Submitted
Harold Lee Prock II/ Retired

P.S. Yes I do have a BURR under my saddle..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do not take me wrong.. Everyone at BRP and dealerships are trying.. Just need to get stuff moving faster.... Hal:(

·
Registered
42 Posts
copper....Sounds like I have at least one of the same problems...the audio. Goes full blast and thats not good with helmets on. Mute button won't shut it down , have to use the raise button( ?????).Radio has also remained on with the key off.Every time I take it to the dealer they can't duplicate it. The last time it happened I rode to the dealer with the radio blasting , tech walked out and hit the mute key and it worked for him. No way to troubleshoot it. It's a royal pain and just wish it would break and stay broke but no luck so far. I hear it could be this and could be that but not replacing anything so far. They seem to admit they know there's a problem but don't know how to fix it. My feeling is that they should just replace parts one at a time ...off new bikes ...or otherwise until the problem goes away. Can't believe they can't order enough stock to stay on top of the problem. They can order the parts to build and sell new ones but not repair certain problems persisting on existing ones. Seems to me they have the sales approach wrong , you sell more with good customer service than with complaints.

2011RTSS

·
Super Moderators
2,781 Posts
I have had the same issue with my radio.. going along nicley then nuttin then after a minute or so it comes back on..

one day was riding with the wife on board and we thought it was a backfire then it went off and entire right side was not working. next day when I took it in same as you guys nuttin wrong.

My service rep is such a kewl young lady and the techs are so kewl but it's frustrating when you know there is an issue and no one can find anything. I told her I was going to break the radio and she said " Kewl then we can actually fix something " I told her when I brought it in for some other issues to PLEASE tell me they found something so I was not going nuts.. so they actually found and fixed that issue

but for me anyways the dealership here treats my wife and I as friends ( I tell them they are real good actors ) we go in once a week just to say HEY !! and so far no one has seen us coming and scattered ( we sneak up somedays .. hehe ) they actually will go " Hey honey we're back " before we do and when we don't say it for what ever reason they make sure we leave happy.

too bad more dealers are not as customer/family orientated as ours seems to be

·
Registered
3 Posts
Carlos,
I was wondering what was the end result to your problems since this was and old post? Last week I purchased from a dealer a 2011 RT with 2100 miles and still under factory warranty. This dealer is 70 miles from my home. Part of the sales pitch was that they would install a factory radio. I finished the paper work 15 minutes before closing time so it was getting late when I left with my Spyder. Right off the bat I get a check engine light that went away and never came back. During the next week of driving it check engine light came on every time I slowed down to pull into my drive way and then went out. The yesterday we drove it back to the dealer to get the radio installed and I explained my problems and was told they would look into it after the radio install. They told me there were a few recalls that they would do and one had to do with my issue. We were at the dealer for over 6 hours and when they pulled it out of the shop and the service tech got the check engine light. He seemed surprised and told me that the recall for this issue had already been done. They took it back in and put it on their computer. The fault code came up as a bad O2 sensor and I was told I could drive it home and they would call me when the part came in. Again it was late so we headed home. In all the confusion to get out of there we never got to test the radio other than to verify that it was working. On the way home I could only pull in one FM station and zero AM stations. To top it off my check engine light came on every time I slowed down and by the time I got home it was on more than off but never went into “Limp Home mode”. I called the dealer to ask if I should not drive it and was told they will get back to me about this next week. So, now I get to take another 70 mile trip back and it looks like I may have to trailer it back. At this point I’m regretting selling my Harley Ultra classic and wondering why the first owner traded this spyder with only 2100 miles. I will post more when I can.

·
Registered
58 Posts
harley davidson

I've owned four Harleys in my life, never had any problems with any of them. Don't compare you're POORLY SET UP r t ' s with any h d . I'll bet your problems stem from your dealers, and poorly trained techs.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
My 2011 Spyder RT is in the shop now after a series of check engine lights. the light would come on when i'd start the bike and the bike would sputter and miss until I'd shut it off. after a short wait, the bike would restart with no light on. This happened with increased frequency but never while riding I also had some issues with the grommets that hold the access panel for the oil falling off. Turns out there's a recall on the grommets. No word yet on what's up with the check engine light. The bike only has 1,400 miles on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know I started all this. Since I don't use the radio, haven't had that particular problem. Dealer seems to have sorted out my initial problems and the RT is running fine. But, I now have the infamous Fuel Gauge problem. Unless that tank has just been filled, the analog gauge bounces all over the place. Yep, once I've gone 30-50 miles, the needle drops from full to wherever it decides to go. It then bounces up and down. I know I can have it unplugged and the digital gauge will take over, but damn it - what's so complicated about getting the instruments to function like they were intended. So, it's off to the dealer we go. In their defense - they've been great. Not the problem. Problem is they are two hours away and they want it trailered. There goes another $75 bucks in fuel for my truck (fortunately, it's fuel gauge works). Got probably 1/2 tank in the RT, so they can see for themselves what it's doing. Gotta be either the gauge or sending unit. However, they tell me that when the digital gauge takes over, it's pretty accurate - so that lets out the sending unit. Another mystery. At least we haven't had it throw Limp Mode or Check Engine codes or shut down since it's last trip to the shop. What with the posts about the radio problems, I'm afraid to turn mine on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts