Can-Am Spyder Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(Hello everyone! I just purchased a 2011 Spyder RT SE5. While out riding today, I approached a stop sign and let the bike auto downshift and applied my break. I waited for pedestrians to cross and when I was ready to proceed, I increased the throttle and.....nothing. It rev'd high but went nowhere. Bike was in 1st gear, but would not budge. I then tried to put it in reverse, and it wouldn't even shift gears. Eventually, I got it into Neutral and had to push it off the road. It was 100 degrees today, so I let the bike cool for 2 hours, and then tried again, with the same results. I ended up having to have it towed home. I have not even taken it out more than 6 times. I am beginning to second guess my purchase. Can anyone tell me what they think could be wrong. I am HIGHLY upset at this point, but trying to stay positive.
Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own a 2009 SE5 and I would guess that something is up with the hydraulic portion of the clutch control system. A quick search of the manual for my year shows there are two hydraulic valves that operate the clutch. One to engage and other to disengage. The SE5 has a standard type clutch drum with hard and friction plates and also a centrifugal clutch that mechanically engages with increased engine speed. My opinion is the basic clutch is being kept from working because the engage hydraulic valve has failed.

Please report back with what the dealer finds out caused the problem in case I experience the same failure in the future. No more warranty.

Thx, spydersense

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I'm very curious as to why you'd post the EXACT same issue under a separate thread without first letting us know if you ever even saw any of the initial responses; did you take the bike back to the dealer as i suggested and have him take a look at the one specific piece that I mentioned? Or are you just enjoying the fact that you saw your name" up in lights" here???
The ball's in your court now... What did you do, and what did they say??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, It was my first time using this forum when I posted my comment and couldn't find the original post, so I reposted it. I now see that I posted under the new user section as well as the engine/transmission section....So, NO....I am not trying to get my name up in lights. was just unfamiliar with the site, but thank you for your warm welcomes to a newby.

Secondly, the dealer does have the bike. They do believe that it is a sensor and mentioned something about the oil. The front desk receptionist is who called me, so the details were not thorough. I will know more when the technicians call me back this week. They had to order some tool in order to work on the bike.

Thank you again, and I will keep you all posted on the actual findings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my second ride my bike started acting up, it would rev but not move, it would stall, it made strange noises, acted like it was running on one cylinder, Limp mode, engine trouble light, it even turned the radio on by itself after I turned the bike off.

I was able to get to the dealer through out all this and at first they said it would have to wait a week but they relented when I complained and jumped right on it (My RT was 1 week old at this time). It turned out to be a loose ground wire on the battery which is a common problem I now find out.

Good luck,

Randy

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob, since I am thinking about possibly buying an RT-S in the future...is there a place for me to download a service manual or at least a copy of the owners manual so that I can do some "pre-buying" reading on it to get familiar with it?

I have read of some of these problems that have been ocurring and if I do get one I would like to kind of do my own kind of "pre-delivery" check to make sure things are done properly especially with the help of all these "symptoms" I have been reading about on this board.

I understand this is a pretty complex piece of machinery and things can go wrong but I want to make sure I can pre-empt some of these dealer delivery miscues in a timely manner as well...should I decide to go ahead and get one of these.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased my 2011 SE5 3 weeks ago. Twice while turning around and backing up in grass beside my driveway the bike stalled. Probably something to do with the traction control. But then it would not start, no matter what I tried. After letting it sit for about 20 min it started normally. Seems like some computer safety needed to reset.
Two days ago I was out for a 3 hour ride, my longest yet. at the end, 4 times at a stop sign the clutch failed to dis-engage and the bike stalled on the roadway. I had to push the brake extra hard to get it to stop. I see they had a recall for the 2010 model year for this problem but nothing for the 2011 year. Anyone else having the same problem??

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Bob, since I am thinking about possibly buying an RT-S in the future...is there a place for me to download a service manual or at least a copy of the owners manual so that I can do some "pre-buying" reading on it to get familiar with it?

I have read of some of these problems that have been ocurring and if I do get one I would like to kind of do my own kind of "pre-delivery" check to make sure things are done properly especially with the help of all these "symptoms" I have been reading about on this board.

I understand this is a pretty complex piece of machinery and things can go wrong but I want to make sure I can pre-empt some of these dealer delivery miscues in a timely manner as well...should I decide to go ahead and get one of these.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
Deniis
PM me and I'll sned one to you. I just don't remember where I got it from! :eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts